RPGs

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 25, 2011, 04:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Yeah, that's a good game; right up there with Square's best during their "golden years" (personally I like it better than the majority of FF titles myself). Like most things SNES, it's not cheap though; looks like it'll you cost at least $50 for a copy nowadays.

Did it ever get a re-release (VC, etc.)?

talonmalon333

Quote from: Kiddington on August 22, 2012, 07:38:52 AM
Yeah, that's a good game; right up there with Square's best during their "golden years" (personally I like it better than the majority of FF titles myself). Like most things SNES, it's not cheap though; looks like it'll you cost at least $50 for a copy nowadays.

Did it ever get a re-release (VC, etc.)?

Yep, it's on VC. And with that, a far more convenient means of doing 3-player coop (instead of having to get a SNES attachment). ;)

Grave

Hope we don't mind thread necromancy.

I'm not real big on rpgs for the most part, but I do enjoy the Mass Effect series (I do hate Dragon Age: Origins though. Gameplay is awful, but I hear DA2 improves on it). As a matter of fact I would say Mass Effect set the new standard for me when it comes to rpgs, whether it's jrpg or wrpg. My issues with jrpgs is that they do nothing to keep me interested or they become too draggy for me to make me not want to finish them. Tales of the Abyss was the last jrpg that I played and finished, and I think I actually spent over 100 hours on my first playthrough, and unfortunately, that caused me to not even want to bother with anymore because I just lost any desire to play them. Dungeon crawling just seem so tedious in jrpgs these days. I've watched the Shin Megami Tensei games played, and my God, that's some tedious stuff to sit and playthrough.

Even then we have the leading character always starting off with a sword. I wouldn't mind it so much if it weren't for the turn-based combat, or having combat that's actually the same as everything else. I think this is why I enjoyed Dragon Quest 8 so much, considering you could switch between 3 different weapons (4 if you count fisticuffs). But even that was plagued by the long dungeons. I think out of all the JRPGs I've played (which is not much) I enjoyed Final Fantasy 8 the most, and I would still play that today (I'd also go back and play FF4. Characterization in that game is beastly). I like the draw and junction system. I also like the fact that the enemies level up along with you, but at the same time FF8 may be the easiest out of all the FF's due to being able to have access to strong magic very early in the game, and you can just stroll around like "come get some".

Let me think, FF4, 7, 8, 10 (I HATE THIS ONE), DQ8, KH1&2, CT, and TotA are all the JRPGs I've played, and by the time I finished TotA, like I said, I was burnt out, which made my intro to Mass Effect feel even more refreshing because it just felt so good to play a rpg that didn't require you to press X and wait, or to mash square or triangle forever.

If there's 1 thing I'd like to see when it comes to the genre, it's a collaboration of both j/wrpgs. Take the wrpgs style of creating your own character and make that character whatever type of class you want, and combine that with the jrpgs character design. I don't mind the anime look. If there's one thing I didn't care for in Mass Effect, the character models would probably be it (although the outfits are pretty cool), and then go about how you see fit about character interaction and exploration.

talonmalon333

So I'm hearing this game is good.

Discuss.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm downloading the demo. With the speed of Sony's servers... I'll be playing it next year.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

How big is the file anyway?

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I was checking to see if there was any new info out about Persona 5, and then I remembered that Persona 4 was released in 2008, and I pre-ordered it.

That hits me really hard for some reason.

toonyboy12

rpgs a ganre i dont really like that much i mean i dont hate all rpgs but there are alot of them that i hate (i usualy buy them for collection purposes) but again there are some that i like i dont completely not care for the ganre i just dont like them as much as sandbox games or platformers or hack n slash titles

heres some of them that i did enjoy

pokemon obviously i mean i grew up with pokemon series my fav will always be silver gen 2 rules sadly im getting abit tierd of all these new pokemon i mean x and y where good games dont get me wrong but how many pokemon do we really need

kingdom hearts 1.5 remix i never played this series as a kid but i did wanna so since i was getting some new ps3 games anyway i decided to pick it up and its a pretty good game the graphics are very colourful the music was great the gameplay was pretty fun the only issues i had is the story which i didnt care for atall and the characters didn't really interest me all that much (although the disney characters where pretty cool) so yeah i like it

dragon age series: i played origins and i actualy liked it i liked customising my character i liked the different dialog options i liked the graphical style i liked the atmosphere i just liked it its not something id play alot but i like it

dragons dogma: same as dragon age i like the game its fun to play i think i prefer it to dragon age alittle bit though

some others that i enjoyed

anything from vanillawere

mana series

persona 3 and 4

ff7(for the most part)

atelier totori and mana khemia(i find them guilty pleasures)

disgaea series

chrono trigger

mother series

grandia

and thats pretty much it for jrpgs i liked (unless e.v.o search for eden counts i loved that overlooked snes game) i dunno jrpgs and wrpgs are my 3rd least fav ganre but theres some good ones out there

toonyboy12

Quote from: Foggle on January 25, 2011, 05:00:59 PM
Never been much of a JRPG man, really. Persona 2 and 3 (especially 2) are ace, though. Same with Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 2, Final Fantasy 4 and 6, and the Ys series. The Yakuza games are also fucking badass if you count those as RPGs.

On the other hand, I love my WRPGs. Deus Ex (first one is amazing, second one is eh, third one looks epic), Baldur's Gate series (the PC games AND the PS2 games), Diablo 1 and 2, Borderlands, The Witcher, Mass Effect 1 and 2, KOTOR 1 and 2, Fallout 2 and New Vegas (not a big fan of the other two), the Elder Scrolls series (never played Arena, though), the list goes on. Two Worlds 2 actually looks like it'll be pretty cool, surprisingly enough. I know a lot of people say it sucked, but I really want to play Alpha Protocol.

I pretty much hate all MMORPGs. Vindictus held my attention for all of 2 weeks: the longest I've ever been interested in a single MMO.
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 25, 2011, 04:23:58 PM
Still, it was a well-made experience for what it was. I still need to play Mass Effect 2, and I'm kind of interested in Borderlands now that it has probably come down in price.
Borderlands GOTY Edition (which contains all the DLCs on the disc except for the newest one, which is a download voucher) is $30 new last time I checked. I, personally, love the single-player, but I know a lot of people don't (and co-op IS better). If you have a friend to play it with, pick it up for sure (it supports both online and split-screen).

persona in general is awesome and this is coming from someone who hates long dialog boxes (seriously im glad persona 4 golden gave us a option to skip dialog) mainly because the combat is actualy fluent and dosent get to boring like other jrpgs do and are usualy pretty fast

and i like the characters (ive only played 3 and 4 so yeah i might play 1 and 2 sooner or later) there usualy quite entertaining and make the games more enjoyable for me

toonyboy12

oh and the tales games are alright but mainly the combat though the storyline in them (except xillia that had a ok story) are weak and i dont care for the artstyle (because i dont care for anime) but there fun to play i guess

toonyboy12

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 19, 2012, 08:08:51 PM
As someone who doesn't really like JRPG's (or just RPGs, for that matter), Chrono Trigger is the only traditional JRPG that I could be bothered to play up to the end. I didn't actually beat it, but I got up to right before the final battle with Lavos. I do like the characters because they aren't overly-obnoxious like in other JRPGs, and the plot and design of the game has a very "fun" sort of vibe to it, and it can seem like a big and epic quest without ever taking itself too seriously to the point of being pretentious. Its basically the only exception to me in the JRPG genre.

That said, I like Pokemon far more for its deeper combat (particularly with its multiplayer component), and its addicting gameplay. This is the only JRPG that I've ever bothered to complete, though I don't count it as a "traditional" JRPG.

chrono trigger is one of those games you dont need to be to much of a jrpg fan to enjoy since the combat is so fast paced and quick and it didnt suffer from to many jrpg cliches (my fav char us frog btw ^^)

its kinda like the mana series or kingdom hearts where you can play it even if your not a jrpg fan

toonyboy12

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 21, 2012, 09:28:59 PM
Know what RPG I want to play?

RPG with fast-paced action akin to 2D Zelda, plus multi-player is a recipe for awesomeness.

you should play the sequal seiken densetsu 3 (theres a fan translation for it dont worry) that improves upon secret of mana in every way possible

dont get me wrong secret of mana is awesome but seiken 3 is way better (to bad it only got released in japan and we got secret of evermore)

gunswordfist

mother is my favorite rpg series. it kind of is by default since it's the only rpg series i've completed.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

What do you guys think of Final Fantasy Origins, Final Fantasy Anthology, and Final Fantasy Chronicles for the PS1?