RPGs

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 25, 2011, 04:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I only have the one that includes Final Fantasy 4 and Chrono Trigger (two of Square's best games, IMO), and aside from the somewhat annoying load times, it's fantastic.

Spark Of Spirit

Slow loading kills them. I prefer the GBA versions.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I've seen this contrast before. :P

Also, I love Dawn of Souls' rendition of Prelude. But for most of the GBA versions, I don't love their lower sound quality. What do you think is the best version of the classic games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUPTPQaSE0g

I was never a huge fan of the FMV cutscenes they added into Chrono Trigger, with the exception of the opening and ending scenes. Every other one literally just repeated things that were already shown in the in-game sprites. Plus, they contrasted too much with the rest of the game. But that game gave the option to turn them off, so I can't complain.

Spark Of Spirit

The SNES versions are the best of all of them. Except for V for not having an English translation. Otherwise I prefer the GBA versions of I & II over any other version and the DS version of III.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I wish they would have remade III in 2D. The characters look like pears in the remake.

As for the original FF, I do have to say that it is, sadly, one of the many NES RPGs that doesn't hold up at all.

Also, what do you think is the best version of Chrono Trigger?

gunswordfist

ff 1 is unplayable to me.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I beat FF1. It's fun to play the GBA version because of the dropped difficulty. That makes it a relaxing RPG to just play through. Also the bonus dungeon is pretty unique.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 13, 2015, 06:19:59 PMAlso, what do you think is the best version of Chrono Trigger?
Probably the SNES version. Cinematics do nothing for me and portability could go either way.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 13, 2015, 06:35:16 PM
I beat FF1. It's fun to play the GBA version because of the dropped difficulty. That makes it a relaxing RPG to just play through. Also the bonus dungeon is pretty unique.

I wonder if there are any people who think the GBA version is "dumbed down".

I know Dragon Warriors also got a similar remake for GBC. They really need to re-release that because I'd like to play it. The NES version is just as unplayable as the NES Final Fantasy.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 13, 2015, 06:35:16 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 13, 2015, 06:19:59 PMAlso, what do you think is the best version of Chrono Trigger?
Probably the SNES version. Cinematics do nothing for me and portability could go either way.

Like I said above, though, I do like the opening and ending cinematics. The last cinematic in particular is a nice new scene that gives the characters more closure. Next time I play Chrono Trigger, I'm going to turn off the FMVs until I get to the end, and then turn them back on before I beat the final boss.

Also, I prefer the streamlined touch controls and translation from the DS version. But I still want to see that Wii U "definitive version" port that combines the superior technology from the SNES version with the features added to the DS version.

Spark Of Spirit

It would be nice, but apparently the guy behind Dragon Quest hates re-releases. So we might not ever get a re-release of the GBC versions of 1, 2, and 3 anytime soon. That and we still haven't gotten the recent Dragon Quest VII remake despite the high demand and IX and Bravely Default's success. I would like the GBC games, though.

gunswordfist

lol, i wanted to say that dw1 is unplayable as well. i played both ff 1 and dragon warrior 1 around the same time and i have never given up on two games so closely in time.

talonmalon333

How would you rank the classic Final Fantasy games?

EDIT:

Actually, feel free to throw the PS1 games in there, as well.

Spark Of Spirit

I'll even list my preferred version next to the game.

Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
Final Fantasy IX (PS1)
Final Fantasy IV (SNES)
Final Fantasy I (GBA)
Final Fantasy V (GBA)
Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
Final Fantasy III (DS)
Final Fantasy II (GBA) - It's still broken, but actually fun in this version.
Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
Final Fantasy VIII (PS1)
Final Fantasy X (PS2)
Final Fantasy XI (PS2) - Online-only bias.
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) - Online-only bias.
Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2)
Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3)
Final Fantasy XIII-3 (PS3)

My favorites are pretty obvious, anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Hardcore Gaming 101 updated their article on Suikoden!

If you want a better description of what makes this series so good, I recommend reading that.

gunswordfist

talonmalon333

Does anyone else think Nintendo should make a turn-based RPG starting various Nintendo stars?