Rareware / Rare / Playtonic

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 29, 2011, 08:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on May 01, 2015, 01:26:44 PM
QuoteYes, we employ the man responsible for DK64's myriad of trinkets, but we've had a stern word.
:il_hahaha:
;D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

So many stretch goals reached already!

Also, I just love both pieces of music released on the KS page. They sound like deleted tracks from Banjo-Kazooie and Tropical Freeze. :joy:

gunswordfist

A local co-op buddy? Maybe they can do Tails co-op right in a 3D platformer.

Spark Of Spirit

It just passed the multiple languages option and is on its way to getting to the exclusive character designs from ex-Rare staffers. I'm expecting it to crack $800,000 by midnight and reach the mil in no time.

So after this, Shovel Knight, Shantae, and Mighty No. 9's massive kickstarter success, is there any doubt left that the big companies don't know what they're missing? Seems to me people are saying it pretty loud and clear. Make with the platformers.

By the way, I really hope some of the multiplayer modes are based on the ones from Conker, too. Those multiplayer modes were so good.

Quote from: Foggle on May 01, 2015, 01:26:44 PM
QuoteYes, we employ the man responsible for DK64's myriad of trinkets, but we've had a stern word.
:il_hahaha:
Biggest worry eased.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 01, 2015, 06:37:10 PM
It just passed the multiple languages option and is on its way to getting to the exclusive character designs from ex-Rare staffers. I'm expecting it to crack $800,000 by midnight and reach the mil in no time.
They're already at 1,232,717 USD and have now passed the exclusive character designs stretch goal. ;D

QuoteSo after this, Shovel Knight, Shantae, and Mighty No. 9's massive kickstarter success, is there any doubt left that the big companies don't know what they're missing? Seems to me people are saying it pretty loud and clear. Make with the platformers.
Hat In Time as well! There's also all the successful cRPGs like Pillars of Eternity and Torment. Looks like people really want those awesome late 90's game genres back.

QuoteBy the way, I really hope some of the multiplayer modes are based on the ones from Conker, too. Those multiplayer modes were so good.
I'm expecting multiplayer stuff from Tooie/DK64/BFD to return, with a few all-new modes as well!

Spark Of Spirit

It's now over £801,277. And it still hasn't been 24 hours yet.

I can't believe how fast this is going. It'll hit a million pounds within 48 hours.

I think they need more stretch goals!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I do think they should be careful with how many stretch goals they add, though, as well as how "big" they make them. Jumping the gun definitely had a negative impact on Mighty No. 9 and a few other projects.

After a certain point, I'd rather they just save the rest of the collected money for their next game's budget.

gunswordfist

Kickstarter needs to put some life in beat em ups next.
Quote from: Foggle on May 01, 2015, 08:49:58 PM
So after this, Shovel Knight, Shantae, and Mighty No. 9's massive kickstarter success, is there any doubt left that the big companies don't know what they're missing? Seems to me people are saying it pretty loud and clear. Make with the platformers.
Hat In Time as well! There's also all the successful cRPGs like Pillars of Eternity and Torment. Looks like people really want those awesome late 90's game genres back.

[/quote]Still need to watch gameplay footage on Hat in Time.

Spark Of Spirit

I think a beat em up would be harder to sell since they're pretty inexpensive to make and probably wouldn't need a Kickstarter. Well there was that RCR: Underground one, but that game looked so awful and hipsterrific and barely got funded without even making a stretch goal.

If Technos (or Million, or whatever they go by now) went on there asking for funding for a game actually called Double Dragon IV, I would be first in line, though.

Foggle

Nel_Annette

Cool beans. If I hear good word of mouth after it comes out, I'll pick up a PS4 version of the game.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 01, 2015, 09:03:02 PM
I do think they should be careful with how many stretch goals they add, though, as well as how "big" they make them. Jumping the gun definitely had a negative impact on Mighty No. 9 and a few other projects.

After a certain point, I'd rather they just save the rest of the collected money for their next game's budget.
We're talking about ex-Rare guys, so you might be right! Add more and more and we might get:

QuoteFive different kinds of pages per minigame and character and an ice key to unlock the orange coins for bonus hidden minigames! ~ £2,000,000
Rare always had a problem with adding more and more with every sequel instead of just making a better game.

Foggle

Stop 'n' Swop 3.0! 100% the game on every possible platform, then plug in an Atari 2600 and use your combined save data fragments to play an exclusive demake of Battletoads!

Spark Of Spirit

And it has just hit the second to last stretch goal. Only one left-- the one to get it on every system Day One.

Oh, and related:

Thank you for that, Microsoft.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

They're not gonna make it to their Fall 2016 deadline now that the only stretch goal left is the simultaneous day 1 release on all platforms.

But fuck it, I've been waiting years for an N64 styled platformer and I'll gladly let the old Rareware guys take their time to put out what should be a magnum opus for them.