What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 10, 2011, 06:58:09 PM
I never got the excitement about the Banjo games. To me they suffer from the same problems that Donkey Kong 64 does. They are how NOT to do a collect-a-thon.
This barely counts as anything, and you're wrong.

Can you name how to "do a collect-a-thon" for us?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on January 18, 2011, 09:22:55 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 10, 2011, 06:58:09 PM
I never got the excitement about the Banjo games. To me they suffer from the same problems that Donkey Kong 64 does. They are how NOT to do a collect-a-thon.

+1

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

How to do a Collect-a-thon

By Ensatsu-ken,

Step 1: First have a playable character

Step 2: Next throw in many different items of various unifying themes and have most of them placed in obvious spots that require no skill to get to and hide about a third of them in places that are clear but extremely frustrating to get to in order to increase the longevity of the game

Step 3:Make it the main and only objective for the player to control said playable character to collect every single item present in the game until all are gathered

Congratulations! You have successfully completed the creation of a collect-a-thon! This concludes the lecture on "how to do" a collect-a-thon.

Foggle

I guess the Banjo games really AREN'T how to do a collect-a-thon... :SHOCK:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I dunno, I mean the Banjo games do already comply with the first step. I mean, they DO have a playable character....unless Kazooie is playable as well, in which case that technically makes 2 playable characters, which I suppose exempts the Banjo games from the rule.

Foggle

Avaitor

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 18, 2011, 11:59:06 PM

By Ensatsu-ken,

Step 2: Next throw in many different items of various unifying themes and have most of them placed in obvious spots that require no skill to get to and hide about a third of them in places that are clear but extremely frustrating to get to in order to increase the longevity of the game

Step 3:Make it the main and only objective for the player to control said playable character to collect every single item present in the game until all are gathered

Congratulations! You have successfully completed the creation of a collect-a-thon! This concludes the lecture on "how to do" a collect-a-thon.
Y'see, this is how to respond.

Thank you. :)
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

Remember this?  Windows 95/98/ME, anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

Thanks to a certain Internet nostalgia thread on another site, I've been playing this today.  Apparently if you Google "Space Cadet Pinball", you can get a down-loadable version for Windows Vista/7, which is what I did.  So goddamn addicting.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My god, I remember wasting so many hours of my life glued to my computer screen playing that game. It was just impossible for me to stop playing. I'd be all for reliving the nostalgia if it weren't for the fact that I'm in fear of getting addicted to it again....

Spark Of Spirit

By Ensatsu-ken,

IMO, there's a right way to do this, and a wrong way.

Banjo Kazooie requires you to traverse the environment and use your moves to scale it and solve simple platforming or skill based puzzles and to explore every nook and cranny of your environment. The Mario games require you to do the same, but are less sandbox-y in their approach, especially after Mario 64.

Then there's the DK64/most other 3D platformer approach. Put all kinds of useless crap strewn about that require no skill to collect and require repetitive and monotonous ways to complete the level. (IE doing the same freaking thing with 4 characters over and over)

Personally, I'm glad 3D platformers have progressed beyond that style, as I think the Galaxy approach to 3D platformers is closer to the 2D style of point A to point B which is IMO one of the best styles of games there are.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Fuck yeah, Space Cadet Pinball! That was one of the first things I looked for online when I bought Windows 7 (how DARE they not include it!).

Neomysterion X. Prime

Quote from: SNES Chalmers on January 19, 2011, 12:47:54 AM
Remember this?  Windows 95/98/ME, anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

Thanks to a certain Internet nostalgia thread on another site, I've been playing this today.  Apparently if you Google "Space Cadet Pinball", you can get a down-loadable version for Windows Vista/7, which is what I did.  So goddamn addicting.

Hey, I actually remember playing this one. back on the old Windows XP.
I wasn't too heavy on Pinball games. :P

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on January 18, 2011, 09:22:55 PM

I could have sworn I made one more post. :P

Name how to do a collect-a-thon? I can come up with three names. :)

1. Mario Galaxy
2. Mario 64
3. Spyro the Dragon

By Ensatsu-ken,

YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

Spark Of Spirit

How is Galaxy a collectathon? All you do is get from point A to B and maybe solve a small puzzle on the way to get a star. You're only really getting one thing.

Sunshine seems more up that alley, especially with the seeking out stuff to clean gimmick.

I'd say Jak & Daxter was closer to a collectathon than Galaxy was.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Desensitized on January 19, 2011, 04:35:02 PM
How is Galaxy a collectathon? All you do is get from point A to B and maybe solve a small puzzle on the way to get a star. You're only really getting one thing.

Sunshine seems more up that alley, especially with the seeking out stuff to clean gimmick.

I'd say Jak & Daxter was closer to a collectathon than Galaxy was.

But generally, it's still about collecting stars. :thumbup:

And the word "gimmick" makes me cringe.