What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Desensitized on January 19, 2011, 04:35:02 PM
How is Galaxy a collectathon? All you do is get from point A to B and maybe solve a small puzzle on the way to get a star. You're only really getting one thing.

Ignore Talon. The dude just can't admit when he's wrong about something. In this case its funny that even someone like me, who hasn't played either Banjo game, can tell that he doesn't even know that much about them. He just likes to claim things to seem important. He doesn't actually stop to think that the logic for what he claims rarely ever makes a lick of sense.

Foggle

The first Jak & Daxter is a collect-a-thon, straight up. It's probably the best one ever made, though.

Avaitor

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 19, 2011, 05:53:01 PM
Quote from: Desensitized on January 19, 2011, 04:35:02 PM
How is Galaxy a collectathon? All you do is get from point A to B and maybe solve a small puzzle on the way to get a star. You're only really getting one thing.

Ignore Talon. The dude just can't admit when he's wrong about something. In this case its funny that even someone like me, who hasn't played either Banjo game, can tell that he doesn't even know that much about them. He just likes to claim things to seem important. He doesn't actually stop to think that the logic for what he claims rarely ever makes a lick of sense.
+2
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on January 19, 2011, 05:55:14 PM
The first Jak & Daxter is a collect-a-thon, straight up. It's probably the best one ever made, though.
Let's talk about Jak & Daxter.

I remember renting this one back in the day and not caring for it at all, (I think I was bummed out it was so unlike Crash Bandicoot) but I played it again last summer and REALLY enjoyed myself.

Actually, when I think about it now, it's kind of amazing how an early PS2 game managed to have such a huge open world for exploring full of awesome platforming and tight controls. The collecting aspect didn't bother me because, again, you were only really collecting one thing in order to progress the story. Now that I think about it, it's a lot like the Banjo games in that respect. That's the kind of collecting I can get behind.

Then I rented 2, my jaw dropped when I saw what they did to the first game's approach, and I never played a game in the series again.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 19, 2011, 05:53:01 PM

Funny, Ensatsu-ken. Various arguments we've had have shown that I sometimes flat out say that I'm wrong, whereas you try and fizzle it out when you are blatantly wrong. It's especially funny cause you completely ignored my previous post.

But at least one part of that was right. You don't know much about the games.

And before you pull the "You're just trying to start an argument" trick, that's clearly what you're trying to start... as usual. ::)

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on January 19, 2011, 06:10:05 PM
Then I rented 2, my jaw dropped when I saw what they did to the first game's approach, and I never played a game in the series again.
When I bought 2, my jaw dropped when I saw what they did to the first game's approach, and it instantly became one of my favorite games of all time. :joy:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on January 19, 2011, 06:47:09 PM
Quote from: Desensitized on January 19, 2011, 06:10:05 PM
When I bought 2, my jaw dropped when I saw what they did to the first game's approach, and it instantly became one of my favorite games of all time. :joy:
:unimpressed:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 19, 2011, 06:12:14 PM
But at least one part of that was right. You don't know much about the games.

I admitted that much, and that's why its pretty pathetic that its obvious even to me that you don't even know what you're talking about. I have seen a ton of people talk about Banjo Kazooie, and you didn't even list a single reason as to why you think its a bad collect-a-thon, and if you did, I could instantly spot if your reasoning at all matched up with any other complaints that I've heard about the game, which I guarantee it won't. I know this because you do stuff like this all the time. You pretend to know something about a show or movie or genre or whatever when its clear to me that you don't know squat. Case in point: You were always quick to join me and Cableguy and others back on TV.com in criticizing the plethora of mediocre to downright bad and terrible shonen series out there, yet it was clear to me that you hadn't even seen most of the shows that we talked about to even justify your own reasoning. This was proven by the fact that you actually put Tsubasa Chronicle on your top 10 list before, which is one of the very worst offenders of badly done shonen series.

That's just one mere example out of many in which you clearly don't know what you're talking about, so knowing you in general, I can tell when you're just BSing your reasoning for something just for the sake of trying to sound like you know something. That's how easy and predictable you've become. If not, then prove me wrong with some actual legitimate reasoning behind your claims (which you never use when you know little to nothing about what you're talking about, and when you do, you make it really obvious that you're wrong, such as listing Mario Galaxy as a collect-a-thon, which ANYONE can tell that its not).

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 19, 2011, 07:05:39 PM
I admitted that much, and that's why its pretty pathetic that its obvious even to me that you don't even know what you're talking about. I have seen a ton of people talk about Banjo Kazooie, and you didn't even list a single reason as to why you think its a bad collect-a-thon, and if you did, I could instantly spot if your reasoning at all matched up with any other complaints that I've heard about the game, which I guarantee it won't.

Well you're wrong. I do know what I'm talking about. I got the game a while ago, played it, didn't like it too much, and sold it. I don't think it's a good collect-a-thon because I feel they went overboard with the collectables. The game was, supposedly, something like a test for Donkey Kong 64. And what-do-ya-know? That game suffered the same problems.

And you think I care about other people's complaints? These are my problems. I don't base them on the band wagon.

I know this because you do stuff like this all the time. You pretend to know something about a show or movie or genre or whatever when its clear to me that you don't know squat. Case in point: You were always quick to join me and Cableguy and others back on TV.com in criticizing the plethora of mediocre to downright bad and terrible shonen series out there, yet it was clear to me that you hadn't even seen most of the shows that we talked about to even justify your own reasoning. This was proven by the fact that you actually put Tsubasa Chronicle on your top 10 list before, which is one of the very worst offenders of badly done shonen series.

Sure. Bring up a time where I did this, said stuff about a movie/genre when I didn't know "squat". Yeah, I didn't see most of Bleach or Naruto or InuYasha, but I HAVE watched enough of them to know that I don't like them. Especially that last one, InuYasha, which I admit to liking at one point (it's true, it's true). You don't have to watch the whole show to make a valid opinion.

And Tsubasa Chronicle? Yeah... I admit my old opinions about that were noobish. Let's not talk of it. :sly:

Though the first opening of it is still awesome.

That's just one mere example out of many in which you clearly don't know what you're talking about, so knowing you in general, I can tell when you're just BSing your reasoning for something just for the sake of trying to sound like you know something. That's how easy and predictable you've become. If not, then prove me wrong with some actual legitimate reasoning behind your claims (which you never use when you know little to nothing about what you're talking about, and when you do, you make it really obvious that you're wrong, such as listing Mario Galaxy as a collect-a-thon, which ANYONE can tell that its not).

What, are you gonna argue that I don't know Mario Galaxy now? Dude, it's one of my favorite games ever. And to me, a collect-a-thon is a game where the aim is to reach an objective by collecting a hoard of... things. That's basically the definition of what it is, anyway.

Now I see what your problem here is. Wrong assumptions. Just because I don't say a whole lot about something, you assume I have no idea what I'm talking about (and trust me, so many people on other forums would know you're wrong here). And you want to know why I don't say much?

Spoiler
Because I'm not willing to argue with you. Sorry, that's the truth. Really, whenever I speak an opinion, you always seem ready to fight it. It's really tiring. And you prove it here by arguing for a game that you don't know anything about. You're far more predictable then what you claim I am.

And this isn't just something I've said, trust me. Other users have commented on how you can be confrontational.
[close]

So that's it. Banjo Kazooie isn't a BAD game, which I don't think I've stated anywhere around here. But I'm not a big fan of it. It's a 6/10. I didn't like the collecting, wasn't a fan of the characters... I did think the music was fun, and I kinda liked the mood of the game. This is purely what I think. Feel free to say what you want, call to have me burned at the stake, shout "blasphemy", all that. But I'm not going to argue it further, cause I don't care how much you despise my opinions. This is dumb.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 19, 2011, 09:11:55 PM
Well you're wrong. I do know what I'm talking about. I got the game a while ago, played it, didn't like it too much, and sold it. I don't think it's a good collect-a-thon because I feel they went overboard with the collectables. The game was, supposedly, something like a test for Donkey Kong 64. And what-do-ya-know? That game suffered the same problems.

And you think I care about other people's complaints? These are my problems. I don't base them on the band wagon.

Except for the fact that the game doesn't suffer from the same problems as Donkey Kong 64, as even haters of DK64 can attest to the fact that its not at stupidly designed as that game. So yeah, it doesn't matter if their "your" problems when you so obviously pulled them out of your ass in order to make yourself not look like an idiot. You do this quite often, so like I said, its completely easy to tell when you're bull-shitting reasons (and I'm giving you a bit too much benefit in this case since you still haven't given any real reasons at all, except for just saying that the game is too much like DK64, which most people completely disagree with, including haters of this game as well).

QuoteSure. Bring up a time where I did this, said stuff about a movie/genre when I didn't know "squat". Yeah, I didn't see most of Bleach or Naruto or InuYasha, but I HAVE watched enough of them to know that I don't like them. Especially that last one, InuYasha, which I admit to liking at one point (it's true, it's true). You don't have to watch the whole show to make a valid opinion.

I never said that you needed to see a lot of a series to judge it, but I am saying that I in fact can tell that you barely even saw any of it more than a random episode or 2 of each show when they were airing. It was in fact easy to tell because whenever me and Cableguy were defending YYH against Naruto and Bleach fanboys on the TV.com forum, you tried to defend it as well but it became clear that you didn't know squat about the other shows to use against them when arguing.

QuoteWhat, are you gonna argue that I don't know Mario Galaxy now? Dude, it's one of my favorite games ever. And to me, a collect-a-thon is a game where the aim is to reach an objective by collecting a hoard of... things. That's basically the definition of what it is, anyway.

Except for the fact that you're not collecting a "horde" of things in Mario Galaxy. I've played enough of that to know that as well. You're just collecting main things that you need to progress in the game, and some other things are optional. A collect-a-thon basically forces you to collect almost every item available in a game with very little of it being extras (in other words, the beat the game you need to get almost 100% completion in your first go, anyways). Mario Galaxy definitely isn't about collecting stuff. Its primarily about getting from point A to point B.

QuoteNow I see what your problem here is. Wrong assumptions.

Its not an assumption at all. Its really easy to tell when you're bull-shitting something. Avaitor can tell it as well and he's more qualified than I am in that regard since he has actually played the Banjo games. The fact that its not just me who can tell that makes it fairly obvious. I mean, literally, all you had to do to prove me wrong was prove that you've played the game by getting into specifics that you'd only know if you played a good amount of the game and remember it well enough. That wouldn't take too long, but instead you just throw in this fodder to try and distract from the fact that you don't know what you're talking about.

QuoteJust because I don't say a whole lot about something, you assume I have no idea what I'm talking about (and trust me, so many people on other forums would know you're wrong here).

I find it funny that you were saying that it doesn't matter if other people disagree with you when I claimed that it was the case with your reasons for hating BK, and then you try and use the same logic against me that you said wouldn't work. Brilliant. Also, I'd be hard-pressed to take anyone who can agree with you too seriously. Sorry, but this board is actually full of competent members (mostly....). :>

QuoteBecause I'm not willing to argue with you. Sorry, that's the truth. Really, whenever I speak an opinion, you always seem ready to fight it. It's really tiring.

Right....So you wrote this multi-paragraph post defending yourself and criticizing me because you're NOT arguing.

Yeah, sorry, but if you take a moment to reflect on how absurdly obvious this contradiction is, then you'll realize the stupidity of your mistake, here. If you want to argue, that's fine, but don't try to act or claim like you're not arguing when you're going all-out to respond to everything I say. That's just denying the obvious.

And if you want to talk about tiring, you're constant "jokes" trying to insult me all the time has gotten way past annoying. I usually don't bother to respond to you anymore because I've grown past that immaturity. I mean, hell, what was the point of your last PM to me, again? Was it supposed to be funny? I usually don't mind it when it has some sort of point to it, but it just came off as irritating. If you're gonna keep up with that shit, you shouldn't have a problem with me just harmlessly expressing my disagreements with you. And if you're going to constantly try and insult me for so reason, you shouldn't feel offended if I just jokingly throw in a few in my post for the hell of it. Its only fair game, after all.

QuoteAnd you prove it here by arguing for a game that you don't know anything about. You're far more predictable then what you claim I am.

That statement doesn't even make any sense. What does that have to do with being "predictable" at all? I called you predictable in the sense that its obvious to see when you're BS-ing your opinion on something. I clearly admitted that I haven't really played those games so calling me out on that fact is hardly "predicting" anything about me or my experience with the games. Maybe there's another word to describe what you mean to say, but you're clearly just using a word that I used against you because you can't come up with anything better to say back to me.

QuoteAnd this isn't just something I've said, trust me. Other users have commented on how you can be confrontational.

That's hardly news. I am confrontational, that's just the way I am. Most users actually don't bother to even say it to me since I openly admit it. Its part of my personality. You of all people should be used to it by now, so I don't get your point in bringing it up.

Spark Of Spirit

So Foggle, is Jak 3 a platformer again, or is it another GTA-lite game?

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on January 20, 2011, 03:32:58 AM
So Foggle, is Jak 3 a platformer again, or is it another GTA-lite game?
Jak 2 is about 70% platformer; 30% driving. Jak 3 is about the same, but the driving is more exploration-and-racing-based and less GTA-esque.

Spark Of Spirit

Do you think there might be a Jak collection for the PS3? I might just wait on that instead of trying to find the other games again.

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on January 20, 2011, 11:53:31 AM
Do you think there might be a Jak collection for the PS3? I might just wait on that instead of trying to find the other games again.
Naughty Dog has expressed interest in returning to the series (though this was before they struck gold with Uncharted), so they might do it to drum up hype for a fourth one like the Sly and God of War collections were able to. Personally, I'm surprised they haven't made one for Jak (or Ratchet, for that matter) yet.

Spark Of Spirit

I played a bit of Nier to get through the first dungeon.

I can already see this is going to be a love it or hate it kind of game. I was just getting to some of the more interesting ideas in the combat by the end of it during the boss battle, but it looks to have promise. There are some light puzzles, platforming, 2D segments, and the world is pretty big and well designed. The soundtrack is great, too. Story's not too bad, either. Something tells me that you would enjoy this, Foggle.

I'm not sure when I'll finally get back to it, but it's easily better than the other action RPGs I've played on consoles this gen.