What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I'm playing Resident Evil 4 for the 200000th time. Does this game ever get old? No, no it doesn't. :D

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Now that you mention it, I still need to beat Separate Ways. Hopefully it stops freezing on me, otherwise I'm going to have to re-download the game yet a 3rd time, which is beyond ridiculous.

Foggle

It's not that big a deal if you can't play Separate Ways. It's not bad or anything, and the level with the boat is AMAZING, but it's not really an essential part of the game.

Of course, you did pay for the complete package, so you definitely deserve to have it work for you. :-\

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 04, 2012, 09:49:00 PM
So, I was digging through my brother's collection of old XBOX games, and I came across Splinter Cell, and then I decided to pop the game in for the hell of it. The stealth mechanics themselves are fine, and the game has a nice set-up, but it quickly reminded me of why I can't get into stealth games. Admittedly, I suck at them, and I think its because I just don't "get" them and how they are supposed to work. I'm not against the idea of sneaking (I think its a great concept), but I can't seem to figure out the best way to avoid enemies. I crouch and slowly sneak up on them but they still seem to hear me coming a mile away. I shoot out the lights to mask myself in the shadows, but somehow they still seem to know the exact direction I'm coming from. And I try and throw bottles to distract them, but they seem to be able to pin-point where I am as I try to sneak past them without me even having a chance. I'm sure I'm just playing the game "wrong," but I can never understand exactly what I'm doing wrong.

I suppose this is how other people must feel who such at games like Ninja Gaiden and DMC1/3, since those games are way too hard for people who just don't "get" how they work. That's just how it is, though. Action games that involve quick reflexes and strategy make sense to me. Stealth games just don't click with me for some reason no matter how strategic I try to be.
Didn't know Splinter Cell 1 had that many problems. Pandora Tomorrow fixing all of those.

Anyway, I remember how long it took me to settle into PT and Chaos Theory. How different the controls were from all the action games I played in that generation was pretty overwhelming. So it makes sense that you couldn't really get into it, imo.

Now with that said, Splinter is one of my absolute favorite series. Somewhere in the top 10, franchise wise. What I love about stealth games is they are more immersive than any RPG and more about survival than many survival horror games, imo. Well at least SC. You should give those two a try, if you haven't already. Have fun spamming the Swat Turn in Pandora Tomorrow. I fucking love that move. :>
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Yeah, PT and CT fix a lot of the little problems from the original game. They're also much better titles on the whole.

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 05, 2012, 12:27:56 PM
What I love about stealth games is they are more immersive than any RPG and more about survival than many survival horror games, imo.
I agree with you so much. Thief practically is a survival horror game, and I'm not just talking about the monster levels. And the Hitman sequels are some of the most immersive games I've ever played.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm actually surprised at how few games there are that combine stealth and survival horror. Usually they make action/horror hybrids, which of course kills the horror element if you know that you can kill your enemies. Stealth and horror seem to go so well hand in hand, and it would make more sense to make a hybrid of those 2 genres since they both work together so perfectly. Even in stealth games that aren't horror games, I still get that rush of fear and excitement where I'm on the edge of my seat as I try to sneak out of a guard's view or something to that effect in a limited amount of time. Adding in a creepy atmosphere to that would only enhance that feeling of dread (in a good way).

Anyways, I love the concept of stealth games, but most of them don't work for me because of how they go about their gameplay. I want to be able to have tons of different options to sneak past enemies, rather than just one way, and if I have to take enemies out, I want tons of cool options to do so, rather than just running in and shooting them by surprise (which is what was shown in that Splinter Cell demo at E3, which IMO kills the whole point of a game like that). They should have more gadgets and have Sam pull off more moves where he takes out enemies without anyone in a given environment ever having known that he was there (if the player pulls their tactics off perfectly, of course). That would be really intense and rewarding gameplay.

If they ever make a stealth game like that, let me know, because I'd be all over it. :thumbup:

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 05, 2012, 12:51:24 PM
I'm actually surprised at how few games there are that combine stealth and survival horror. Usually they make action/horror hybrids, which of course kills the horror element if you know that you can kill your enemies. Stealth and horror seem to go so well hand in hand, and it would make more sense to make a hybrid of those 2 genres since they both work together so perfectly.
Siren series and Flesh (a Half-Life 2 mod)... that's all I got.

QuoteThey should have more gadgets and have Sam pull off more moves where he takes out enemies without anyone in a given environment ever having known that he was there (if the player pulls their tactics off perfectly, of course). That would be really intense and rewarding gameplay.

If they ever make a stealth game like that, let me know, because I'd be all over it. :thumbup:
You really need to play Deus Ex Human Revolution. Or the original, though I'd recommend the prequel first, since it's a lot more accessible.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on June 05, 2012, 12:31:40 PM
Yeah, PT and CT fix a lot of the little problems from the original game. They're also much better titles on the whole.

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 05, 2012, 12:27:56 PM
What I love about stealth games is they are more immersive than any RPG and more about survival than many survival horror games, imo.
I agree with you so much. Thief practically is a survival horror game, and I'm not just talking about the monster levels. And the Hitman sequels are some of the most immersive games I've ever played.
Thief has monsters? :unimpressed: Anyway, I've been thinking about getting into the series since you were talking about Thief 4. The more stealth games, the better. Sucks that all my favorite genres are unappreciated and/or barely have any games.

I think Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow is the most immersive game I ever played. Well The Hulk game was until I stopped feeling like I was supposed to be powerful in other games right after I play some of that, but that's a story for another time. :awesome:
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 05, 2012, 12:51:24 PM
I'm actually surprised at how few games there are that combine stealth and survival horror. Usually they make action/horror hybrids, which of course kills the horror element if you know that you can kill your enemies. Stealth and horror seem to go so well hand in hand, and it would make more sense to make a hybrid of those 2 genres since they both work together so perfectly. Even in stealth games that aren't horror games, I still get that rush of fear and excitement where I'm on the edge of my seat as I try to sneak out of a guard's view or something to that effect in a limited amount of time. Adding in a creepy atmosphere to that would only enhance that feeling of dread (in a good way).

Anyways, I love the concept of stealth games, but most of them don't work for me because of how they go about their gameplay. I want to be able to have tons of different options to sneak past enemies, rather than just one way, and if I have to take enemies out, I want tons of cool options to do so, rather than just running in and shooting them by surprise (which is what was shown in that Splinter Cell demo at E3, which IMO kills the whole point of a game like that). They should have more gadgets and have Sam pull off more moves where he takes out enemies without anyone in a given environment ever having known that he was there (if the player pulls their tactics off perfectly, of course). That would be really intense and rewarding gameplay.

Fuck yeah, I definitely want a stealth/horror game. The perfect marriage. :swoon: :D Agreed about Splinter Cell Blacklisted (talked about that in the E3 thread) and agreed about wanting a stealth game like you described.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 05, 2012, 01:09:40 PM
Thief has monsters? :unimpressed:
The original Thief, being the first ever 3D stealth game, has a bit of an identity crisis. Some levels have you robbing tombs, where you spend time avoiding traps, looking for secret passageways, and fighting zombies, skeletons, and other such creatures. The sequels leave that stuff out for the most part, though Deadly Shadows does feature The Cradle... arguably one of the scariest levels in gaming.

Spark Of Spirit

Crash Bandicoot.

Man, if this game had a proper save system and better balance (getting 100% is way too frustrating) it might be the best Crash game. It's just straightforward no holds-barred platforming... and it gets pretty devious.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

So now that I have an iPhone, I found out that some classic Capcom games are on it. I downloaded the Capcom Arcade app, which is free, which is a portal to play and buy some of them. I played a bit of Magic Sword, Street Fighter II Turbo, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo and Commando.

It's a little hard to adjust to the iPhone controls, but I think I'll still buy SFIIT regardless.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

iPhones are great for a lot of things, except for playing games that weren't originally meant for the iPhone(some RPGs play alright though).  There's lot's of great games for iOS, but ports of games like Street Fighter are not ones I'd recommend playing on the platform.

Also, holy shit you got an iPhone?!   Finally I'm not the only rube on this board that has one.  I personally love mine, but your mileage may vary, don't really know what you're into as far as tech goes.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

I didn't want to get one, but my last phone randomly lost its ability to send or receive texting, and the way AT&T is set up now is that the 3GS costs a buck while everything else costs a shitload more, because they really want people to upgrade to iPhones. I really had no choice.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Have you guys played DOOM or Wolfenstein RPG? I've heard good things.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I bought SPFIIT anyway, since puzzle games work pretty well on phones, and this is no exception. Morrigan is my bitch.

New blog!