What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on February 16, 2011, 09:16:43 PM
Thanks for the games. The DS has a lot of cool stuff.

Meanwhile, I've been playing hard Corps Uprising and loving every minute. I'm sure Foggle, EK, and GSF would dig this in particular. The levels are crazy.
Ugh, I'm jealous! I didn't even know the game was out yet. That's the number one sequel I want.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Bowser's Inside Story... Wow, I didn't expect it to be this good. I think it might be the best Mario RPG title so far.

Looks like my list still isn't done yet.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rosalinas Spare Wand

What'd I tell you huh?

Also, the enemies keep getting harder and harder to defeat. They gain a lot more HP and their attacks require perfect synchronization to overcome. You can't even spam the Bros Items to clear them either, since those usually put most of the damage on only one target, or if they hit multiple foes, they divide up the damage and do even less than if you attacked individually.

But that's what makes the game so fun. That and Bowser's hilarious dialogue.

Spark Of Spirit

It's weird, actually. I thought the other games suffered because (as someone who is very uncoordinated) I thought the Bros. Attacks in the old games were too clunky and hard to get a hold of which made some boss battles a nightmare for me (I never beat the final boss of SSS because of this) and in this game they made them so straightforward without making them easier, that using them is actually fun.

The story never lets up, there's always something fun to do, the music is awesome (best normal battle theme in a Mario RPG by far), the battle system is finally perfect in that it's finally the hybrid of platforming skill and RPG mastery I always wanted from a Mario RPG.

I enjoyed the first game, was completely bored by the second, but I'm having problems putting this one down.

I'm literally kicking myself for not playing this sooner.  :srs:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rosalinas Spare Wand

In regards to the Bros Attacks, I actually thought the first game handled them the best. They were demanding and acrobatic so the attack power depended entirely on your skill. The second game however, made them too complicated and overpowered, and the third game weakened them to the point that they're only ever used in extreme situations.

But don't feel bad on missing the game the first time around. I did too because I didn't really feel like picking it up. I just got it on a whim on Christmas and I ended up playing it whenever I was away from Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Spark Of Spirit

Most of my problem with the first one was the "hidden" parts of the moves that kept crossing my wires. Otherwise, they were quite insane in a fun way. But I do like in the third game that you mostly rely on dodging and attacking normally more instead of having to perfectly time a series of Bros. Attack button presses until the boss dies otherwise the fights take forever.

The second game was really freaking boring, I have to admit. My friend lent it to me due to it being hard to find around here, and that was really the only reason I made myself finish it. Everything was too linear and small, and the battle system was overly complicated. Also, it just wasn't very funny and the villains were just dull.

Thankfully they made this game in response. Really love this one.

Foggle

Bulletstorm is ridiculously fucking awesome. Great game so far.

Optimization on PC could be better and Games for Windows Live is like explosive diarrhea, but the game itself is wonderful.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I beat it. Best Mario RPG by a mile. Better than the other M&L games, SMRPG, and the Paper Marios.

My only gripes were using the flame attack effectively (as I have a DS phat) and a minigame or two was a bit too demanding, but otherwise it was phenomenal and easily the best RPG on the DS and probably the gen. It features all the best aspects of each series, the more simple timing attacks of SMRPG input with the strategy of the M&L games and the clever environments of the Paper Mario games.

Difficulty was surprisingly tight. Like RSW mentioned, it's tuned perfectly. You never need to grind, as long as you're good at the game and unlike a few of the rougher battles in the older games, if you mess up you have enough leeway to scrape together a recovery. There are no attacks that are unreadable (the other two games had a few of those and they annoyed me) and hard to dodge without paying attention, and the game kept me on my toes until the final encounter.

As for the music, this alone is enough to prove my case, but the soundtrack is just excellent. It nails the Mario sound perfectly.

Story is actually the best one so far in the games. You really have no idea what is going to happen next and every event is as funny as it is inventive. The characters are all perfect and always show up at the best times. The villain was also the best in the series by far. Giving Fawful a starring role as the main antagonist was brilliant as he is at his absolute best here. If he's not in the next Smash Bros, then I don't know what the hell Ninty is smoking.

Add all that and YOU GET TO PLAY AS BOWSER! The awesome never stops.

Seriously, if you have a DS... Get this game. Like, now.

Foggle

So Steve Blum sings a song about his robot dinosaur while it shoots people with its laser. Yeah... game's awesome.

Spark Of Spirit

I remember when all shooters were that crazy.

gunswordfist

Steven Jay Blum voicing the commercial alone is worth the price of admission.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Neomysterion X. Prime

Do internet games count? I haven't been playing my console games in quite a while. :P

Me and Hime have been getting ourselves warmed up for the Daily Dare on Neopets. We've pwned AAA earlier today, and we're raring to tackle him on for the rest of the month. Getting more familiar with Neopets games that appeared during my hiatus from the site, and I expect no hardship from this!

I'm aiming for a gold trophy, if not silver, for my Neopets userlookup.  I'm also doing this for the free Neocash as well, I'm feeling super-determined this month since Hime told me about the Neocash bonus. :shakeshakeshake:

Spark Of Spirit

Radiant Historia is one awesome RPG. Seriously, if you like Suikoden, Final Fantasy VI, and Chrono Trigger as much as I do, you'd probably love it.

It reminds me of the glory days of jRPGs back on the SNES and PS1. Great experiences.

Foggle

Been playing Minecraft with some of my friends recently. GodDAMN that game is addicting.

Spark Of Spirit

Man, Radiant Historia is so hard to put down.

I honestly didn't think it would be this great.