What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Actually, aside from their graphical style, they don't even play very much like Wind Waker at all. They have their own gameplay formulas and have pretty mixed reception among fans. I myself haven't played enough of Phantom Hour Glass to have an opinion on it and I haven't even tried Spirit Tracks yet so I can't comment on that one either.

I actually wouldn't mind having a true sequel to the Wind Waker in terms of actual gameplay. I don't care what anyone else says: I LOVE the sailing aspect of the game. I'm the guy who usually hates open world games for being too boring and not having enough focus, but WW handled the sailing aspect pretty brilliantly IMO and it never even took that long to sail from destination to destination, anyways. I also just like its art style quite a lot. I'd really love to replay that game one of these days, now that I think about it. Perhaps I'll try and get a dirt-cheap used GC online somewhere just to play it, but first I need to finish replaying Ocarina of Time.

gunswordfist

I am on some crazy surfing part on Bayonetta
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Kiddington

They're both just incredibly boring games. Not even by Zelda standards... just by video game standards in general. The "100% Touch Screen" aspect certainly doesn't help, but they could have made it work.

To this day, I still don't know how I managed to lumber through Phantom Hourglass; that game literally put me to sleep. And that's what's funny about this; I think Spirit Tracks is a better game overall, but I just can't bring myself to beat it. The dungeons are nice, and I like the enemies... but man... those bloody trains. Once I get to another section of train travel gameplay, I just lose all interest.

Daxdiv

When I learned I had to use touch screen, I wasn't happy about that. I mean, even the Dragon Ball Origins games allowed me to use the buttons and it's pretty much the Zelda DS games, but with DB characters. I can at least thank the developers of those game for allowing me to use the buttons on them.

Spark Of Spirit

Man, Origins killed it for me. The whole time using it all I could think was that it would be so much more fun if I could be doing that stuff directly.

I've been in a rail shooter mood so I've been going back and forth between Ghost Squad and Overkill. Fully upgraded Auto Shotgun really breaks Overkill, but it's fun, so I don't mind. Ghost Squad is just hard. I can't beat any of the level 3 versions of the levels besides the second one. The bosses are just too damn hard.

Still, it's fun storming a jungle compound dressed as Rambo taking out terrorists with a weird automatic pistol.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I just beat the part in Bayonetta where I am guessing that people said that that's where the game should have ended. What a fun, epic boss battle it was.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I played the Duke Nukem Forever demo. I liked it.

What's so bad about it?

The only thing I didn't like was the health system. It didn't seem to fit right with that style of gameplay, and it seemed really hard to avoid being shot. but with regenerating health, what's the difference? Everything else was fun, though. The level design and interactivity was fun.

Oh yeah, and why was I restricted to two weapons? It seems like such a pointless restriction with so many weapons littered all over.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Desensitized on July 16, 2011, 07:30:24 PM
I played the Duke Nukem Forever demo. I liked it.

What's so bad about it?

The only thing I didn't like was the health system. It didn't seem to fit right with that style of gameplay, and it seemed really hard to avoid being shot. but with regenerating health, what's the difference? Everything else was fun, though. The level design and interactivity was fun.

Oh yeah, and why was I restricted to two weapons? It seems like such a pointless restriction with so many weapons littered all over.

I haven't played it, but I think the reason it's getting negative responses is because... well... the game DID take 14 years to make, which is perfectly reasonable (I mean it started development when I was in kindergarten, now I'm midway through college!). Even the flaws you mentioned shouldn't really be there, considering.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, it's technically not the same game that was in development. It has been at least 3 different games since it was announced.

I think they wanted to make it a mix of an old school shooter and a corridor shooter, but ironically it is the corridor elements that feel too limiting and out of place with what the game is trying to do.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Desensitized on July 16, 2011, 07:48:46 PM
Well, it's technically not the same game that was in development. It has been at least 3 different games since it was announced.

I think they wanted to make it a mix of an old school shooter and a corridor shooter, but ironically it is the corridor elements that feel too limiting and out of place with what the game is trying to do.

This is just a theory. But do you think the fact that it, in some form, began in 1996 might be the reason it could be dated?

Again, I didn't play the game. Just wondering.

Rynnec

Just played Guilty Gear XX#Reload for the Xbox.

Fun game so far, but my god, does it reinforce the idea that the original Xbox controller was NOT meant for fighting games.(especially 2D fighters.)

Daxdiv

I actually tried the Duke Nukem demo and I didn't like it. I wanted to give it a fair shot and try for myself, but it wasn't fun for me. I don't know why, but it feels like every other shooter I've played out there.

On a more positive note, I've played the demo to Catherine and that was a pretty fun game with it's own unique style. I really thought it was going to be harder on easier, but it turned out to be pretty simple. I can't wait for this game to come to the front of my house.

That and I've been trying to get into Persona 4 again. I'm currently at the part where it's Spring Break/Golden Week for the hero and his friends and I'm leveling up Yukiko since she finally got out of that coma. I guess from the stuff I read, like the hiimdaisy comics, Kanji is going to be my next party member.

Eddy

I hated the Duke Nukem Forever demo.

The controls felt sloppy to me, the aiming felt off, I hated the level design, the load times were atrocious... Keep in mind I didn't go into it thinking it was going to be the second coming of Christ in video game form. I thought people were being so harsh to it because that's what they were expecting but I found the complaints the game was getting justified.

I went and downloaded Duke Nukem 3D after playing that demo as I found DN3D to be much more enjoyable.

Sketch

Well after randomly picking back up Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga and finally finishing that final boss I decided to pick up my Link to the Past GBA file to see if I can get anywhere on that and I managed to finish one of the dungeons the other night so I'll probably keep at that a while.

I've been meaning to get back to Epic Mickey but I've yet to do so though I always keep it on hand should the urge come along.

And one of these days I'll resume Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones but I got pretty annoyed at the current battle so I felt it was best to leave it alone for a bit.

Yeah... been playing a lot of GBA game lately I guess. I figure it's my most played system recently if not of all time.

Foggle

Quote from: Eddy on July 17, 2011, 01:48:16 AM
I hated the Duke Nukem Forever demo.

The controls felt sloppy to me, the aiming felt off, I hated the level design, the load times were atrocious...
Yeah, the console ports are horrifically awful from what my friend tells me. The controls, aiming, and load times are all fine on the PC. Obviously a different platform wouldn't change your opinion of the level design, though. Personally, I didn't have a problem with it; reminded me a lot of Half-Life 2.