What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Angus on January 05, 2011, 05:09:02 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 04, 2011, 05:22:35 PM
So today I've started Kirby's Epic Yarn and got through the first world...

... Was I the only one who got insanely bored by it? I mean, like, SERIOUSLY bored? I appreciate what they are trying to do, and the game looks lovely, but oh my goodness is it so... sleepy! The game moves slow, and every song sounds like a lullaby, even the first boss theme.

I'll keep playing it and try to finish it, and I truly hope it gets better. But so far, they are pushing Kirby's cute image to the extreme with this one.

That might hold true for any games that's targeted for kids under 5. It might get better though.

Fix'd.

Either way, it's improved slightly, but I am still bored. :(

Spark Of Spirit

I must be the only one who doesn't mind linearity in Metroid-style games. I mean, wandering around randomly guessing where to go doesn't really require skill, it's just dull and kills the pace. I like interconnected worlds, but I also like at least having a vague direction of where to go.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma is perfect at that, and I'm guessing that Other M's design might be along those lines, being that Team Ninja's first NG game does that style of level design (and I love that style of level design, personally). Almost every area in the game is interconnected into one large area of land that you cover throughout the course of the game, but you rarely ever feel lost as the game still guides you down a linear path, but you can choose to deviate every now and then to find a hidden chest or item or something like that. Its also cool how later in the game you'll end up coming back to some areas but its still interesting to be there again just to see how they've changed since you've been gone.

Foggle

Yeah, Other M is a great game. Fuck the haters.

Avaitor

Just beat level 7-1 in DKC: R. I loved the look of it so much. I'm into the industrial period a bit, so I liked the Donkey Kongish twist on that location, and I thought that the way DK and Diddy were shadowed but their tie and hat shined on was a nice touch.

This game is loads of fun so far. Definitely up there for GOTY.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I do wish they had DK barrels at every checkpoint, though. The old game used to do it, so it seems a bit silly that they don't have them at every one. Same with the secret levels, some have DK barrels at the start and some don't so if you die you have to leave the level to get Diddy and come back. That's just silly.

I mean, it's a great game, but those little things do get on my nerves a bit.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Just wondering, how does the game work on single player? Do you just play as Donkey Kong, or does Diddy King follow you, or something else?

Avaitor

I do have to agree with you. The most challenging part about the game is the lack of little helpers like Diddy barrels or save points for a large chunk of a level can get annoying.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 06, 2011, 05:13:56 PM
Just wondering, how does the game work on single player? Do you just play as Donkey Kong, or does Diddy King follow you, or something else?
Diddy will ride on DK's back as a jetpack and to double your heart gauge.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The battle with the Taken on the rock concert stage was easily my favorite part of Alan Wake, so far. That moment was pure action gaming, but it was intense with how many Taken were swarming the area, but you got a shit-load of flash bangs and flairs along with a ton of ammo for all of your other weapons to go insane with. I'm noticing that as the game progresses it starts to feel more action oriented. There are still a lot of atmospheric elements, but by now a lot of scares would be pretty predictable, so the game ramps up the action by throwing more Taken at you. Personally I have no complaints with this, because the encounters are getting much more exciting as the game goes along.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on January 06, 2011, 05:14:11 PM
Diddy will ride on DK's back as a jetpack and to double your heart gauge.

I know that ability. In two-player you have the option for Donkey to carry Diddy. :)

Angus

Uh oh, fewer DK barrels? That sucks. Are you able to complete that level without Diddy?

Anyone try out the timed runs yet?
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Spark Of Spirit

You can beat any level without Diddy, but like the old games you are limited without it. That hover is invaluable, and sometimes the extra hits help you.

So you figure if you die in the level, the checkpoint would offer you the means to get through the next section with a margin of error. Sometimes it does, but there's no consistency, and it's a bit annoying that there isn't.

talonmalon333

World 7 is quite tough, especially with two players. :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just completed Episode Five of Alan Wake. I thought that the game would start to get a bit boring towards the end, but on the contrary its only getting more intense with its gameplay and story. I also just downloaded The Signal, which is the first DLC add-on episode for Alan Wake, so once I beat the main game, I can jump straight into that.

talonmalon333

So after playing it for a few days, I have come to a decision...

I'm dropping Kirby's Epic Yarn from my playlist.

I adore Kirby, but... this game just bores me to death. I've played it for six days and have reached the middle of the sixth land. If I keep playing I'd probably finish tomorrow or the next day, but I've had enough. I REALLY don't like this game.

But does that mean it's a bad game? Not at all. The graphics are LOVELY, and I love how they use them. But is it for me? No. It moves incredibly slowly, the music makes me drowsy, and the difficulty is just... insanely low. Kirby was always geared more towards the hardcore Nintendo crowd.

Except this game is for toddlers as an introduction to hardcore gaming. :P

In the end, I'm disappointed. And it's a shame cause I really like the idea of this game. Kirby almost never lets you down, but it never blows you away with it's quality (except for Kirby Super Star). So when I saw this game at E3, I got excited cause I was happy they were finally bringing in some innovation, leaving the comfort zone, and attempting to bring us something of true high quality. Especially after you look at the game they were originally working on, which looked like a generic Kirby game.

So they finally tried some innovation... and I'd say it worked. But it's just everything else that didn't cut it for me.

Masahiro Sakurai seems to be no longer working on the series, which is a shame cause I feel only he truly understands Kirby. He kicked off the pink hero's series with Kirby's Dreamland, then he really set the standards of the series with Kirby's Adventure, and then he took it all and bring it to it's absolute, 100% full potential with Kirby Super Star.

But since then we got Kirby 64. That game was great, but as good as Kirby Super Star? Kirby's Adventure? No way. Then we had a few more handheld titles. All good games, but not great. And finally we have the newest Wii installment.

Seems only Masahiro Sakurai can make the perfect Kirby game, and Epic Yarn can't argue otherwise.