What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Holy shit, there are a lot of highly rated total conversion mods for Max Payne 1 & 2! I'll try some of 'em out in the coming days and let y'all know if they're worth buying the PC version(s) for. :)

Kiddington

I think I'm starting to see at least one complaint about Epic Mickey, in that the camera isn't doing anything for me at all. Hey, it really is an N64 platformer!  :sly:

I'm still liking it so far, though. Quite underrated.

Daxdiv

I actually decided to get Mass Effect 3. I got it used so I don't have access to the multiplayer. So far only 2 hours into the main game and the game play is still enjoyable as the last two, if not more better in controls and presentation. Damn Council sitting on their asses.

Foggle

I refuse to talk about Jak 3 in the Platformers thread because this game is not a platformer. I am about 66% through the game and I have only encountered 11 platforming missions (12 if you count the tutorial which is barely a level). And that's if you count some of them as separate missions like the game does; it's really only been something like 7 or 8 levels. Jak 3 is basically a driving game with occasional 3rd person shooter levels that sometimes incorporate platforming. However, unlike Jak 2, where most of the missions were fun in spite of being frustrating, this game is boring as hell when you're not platforming. I am now on the second artifact race, which is by far the worst thing Naughty Dog has ever developed (and I don't say that lightly).

Even though the game is incredibly short and I'm already on the last third, I don't think I can actually bring myself to finish it. It's a huge step down from the first two.

Foggle

Okay, so I just looked at a walkthrough to see if the game improves at all, and discovered that there are only 6 more platforming levels in the last third of the game. So, if you include the tutorial, Jak 3 has 18 platforming missions in total. The majority of the other 42 are racing and vehicle combat.

Avaitor

My best friend came back into town today, and being the great guy he is, he let me use his 3DS to try out the new Kid Icarus. I play the first 4 missions and I really loved it.

It's a class-act rail shooter filled with tons of little Nintendo insiders. The only problem is that I had to take a couple of small breaks every now and then, otherwise I'd get carpel tunnel syndrome. It can get surprisingly difficult to keep up with the various controls.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Was Rocket Knight Adventures released on anything other than the Genesis?

Spark Of Spirit

I got up to 95% missions complete in Wario Land Shake It. This experience has currently knocked it up to my favorite Wario Land game. 4 was excellent too, but this one just has more of everything.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 03, 2012, 04:42:27 PM
Nope.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 04, 2012, 03:10:26 PM

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 03, 2012, 04:42:27 PM
Nope.

That's kind of surprising. I would've thought Sega would want to include it in all their Genesis collections.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm playing Ratchet Deadlocked since I got it for cheap in a buy 3 get 1 free deal at the Microplay.

Pretty good shooter, IMO. Honestly though, I think Ratchet is wasted here since they made him less acrobatic. They might as well have just made it a spin off and put a new character in the title role instead. I think people would have been more accepting of the game if they did. Still, it's not really all that bad. It's certainly a way better shooter than the resistance games. Also, I liked the whole Robot buddy thing and how they can make grind rails for you. That was a pretty cool addition.

I'm not really sure if it gets worse later on, but it's certainly a solid spin off.

I would have posted this in the platformer thread, but this isn't really a platformer. It's basically just a shooter. But as a shooter, it's good.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

It gets better as it goes iirc. I actually love Deadlocked, but not as much as the other games due to its lack of platforming. And really, I'd rather have a TPS spin-off of a platforming series that doesn't try to hide what kind of game it is than a racing game or mini-game collection masquerading as a platformer (Jak 3 and Sly 3, respectively).

Avaitor

After playing a shitload of SMB3 in All-Stars, I decided to play some of the original again. I honestly did not remember how they changed the game so. All the little quirks and techniques are still there, but Super Mario Bros. looks weird in bright 16 bit. I prefer the original 8 bit myself.

And I also tried some of the American 2... blah. I'll stick to 3 for now.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

I actually like the All-Stars versions of 2 and 3, but the original game's controls are really sticky (I think that's the right word) in it. NES is way better for SMB 1.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on April 08, 2012, 12:45:52 PM
I decided to play some of the original again. I honestly did not remember how they changed the game so. All the little quirks and techniques are still there, but Super Mario Bros. looks weird in bright 16 bit. I prefer the original 8 bit myself.

I think the game looks fine, but the SNES version seems to play differently. Was never sure how though.

Haters gonna hate.

SMB2 > SMBLL

Avaitor

Oh yeah, I love this version of 3. Having a save function helps loads. But 2, I just don't think is very good to begin with.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 08, 2012, 12:54:36 PM

Haters gonna hate.

SMB2 > SMBLL
Oh, I'm not arguing that. The original 2 doesn't hold up at all.

New blog!