What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 08, 2012, 12:54:36 PM
SMB2 > SMBLL
While I agree with you regardless, the NES version of SMBLL - which can be bought on the Virtual Console - is far better than the All-Stars version (for the same reason that SMB 1 is superior on the NES).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I myself am not a fan of either the American or Japanese SMB2 (the Japanese version being released as the Lost Levels in the SNES Mario All-Stars collection). The American SMB2 just doesn't feel like a proper Mario game (partly because it isn't even really a Mario game, it was another game that they just put Mario character sprites over) and isn't really that much of a fun platformer in its own right, IMO. On the other hand, the Japanese SMB2 is just a poor man's version of the original SMB game, with uninspired level design and increased difficulty through some cheap deaths or just frustrating platforming sections that aren't very well designed.

So, to me, either way you look at it neither version of SMB2 is really worthy of the Mario title, but that's just my opinion. Of course I think anyone would agree that SMB3 is by far the best of the original 3 Mario games, and most would say its the best SMB game, period, or at least the best 2D one, but for me it comes in 3rd, with Super Mario World in 2nd and Yoshi's Island obviously being my favorite.

Foggle

Honestly, I can't pick a favorite 2D Mario. 3, World, Yoshi's Island, and NSMBWii are just downright amazing while 1 was the second video game I ever played and is to this day the only one I can speedrun and/or complete without dying. I have too much love for this series to put any of those five above the others.

I actually do like both versions of 2, but they're easily the weakest Nintendo-made Mario games IMO.

Avaitor

I have a huge amount of nostalgia for the original SMB that few other games can compete with. Same with 64, which is pretty accurate since both are games that basically created the format but have been surpassed ever since to the point that they're objectively dated, but I can never stop playing them.

It's been a while since I played the SMW games and I haven't gone through NSMBWii yet (they really need to lower it in price already), so I'd have to go with 3 for my favorite 2D Mario. Galaxy 2 for sure is the best 3D one.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

I think 3 is best on the NES, because it has a somewhat harder difficuty level.  The All Stars port and subsequent ports are a little looser than the NES, where it's more precise.  Add to the fact that you can't save, you have one of the most fun experiences in video gaming.

I can't even play AS SMB because of the way it looks, it's totally unnatural, but even the NES original does nothing for me anymore.  I've played it and beaten so many times I guess I've just gotten bored.  There isn't as much to explore or discover in the game, unlike later Mario games. Ofcourse it's a classic, but I don't enjoy it much anymore.

Lost Levels is eh. I've playedit a few times, although no where near beating it, but it just seems like rehash of SMB 1, they really didn't add anything new to it.  In contrast though, I love SMB2, I know it's a reskinned version of another game, but it's different than anything else in the Mario universe.  I don't play it much, but when I do I get kind of obsessed with it.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 08, 2012, 12:59:51 PM
While I agree with you regardless, the NES version of SMBLL - which can be bought on the Virtual Console - is far better than the All-Stars version (for the same reason that SMB 1 is superior on the NES).

Yeah, but still... :P

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 08, 2012, 01:01:25 PM
The American SMB2 just doesn't feel like a proper Mario game (partly because it isn't even really a Mario game, it was another game that they just put Mario character sprites over)

I wouldn't go that far. To me it feels like a Mario game, just as AoL feels like a Zelda game, or CV2 feels like a Castlevania. Also, ya gotta give it credit for introducing so many elements into the Mario series that are now commonplace (like so many of the enemies). I think it's just as much of a Mario game as Epic Yarn is a Kirby game (which is a proper Kirby game, though it didn't start as one). ;)

On the other hand, the Japanese SMB2 is just a poor man's version of the original SMB game, with uninspired level design and increased difficulty through some cheap deaths or just frustrating platforming sections that aren't very well designed.

Agreed 100%. I always compare The Lost Levels to a fan hack intentionally made to be cheap.

Of course I think anyone would agree that SMB3 is by far the best of the original 3 Mario games, and most would say its the best SMB game, period, or at least the best 2D one, but for me it comes in 3rd, with Super Mario World in 2nd and Yoshi's Island obviously being my favorite.

SMW and SMW2 aren't Super Mario Bros. games. :sly:

Quote from: Foggle on April 08, 2012, 01:05:46 PM
I actually do like both versions of 2, but they're easily the weakest Nintendo-made Mario games IMO.

Personally, I'd put the USA SMB2 above Sunshine. And in many ways I'd put it above the original SMB, as it lacks the limitations that the original had.

Quote from: Avaitor on April 08, 2012, 01:10:47 PMI haven't gone through NSMBWii yet (they really need to lower it in price already)

I thought they re-released all the Wii Mario games at a discount?

Avaitor

Whenever I find NSMBWii in stores, it's still around $50, even used at GameStop.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on April 08, 2012, 04:53:28 PM
Whenever I find NSMBWii in stores, it's still around $50, even used at GameStop.

Blow up GameStop and then grab all the copies you need. They deserve it anyway.

gunswordfist

Me and SMB3 had a falling out the last time we met. I'll give it another try one day. I'm going to actually have to beat a 2D Mario some day.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 08, 2012, 05:40:36 PM
Me and SMB3 had a falling out the last time we met. I'll give it another try one day. I'm going to actually have to beat a 2D Mario some day.

And I thought everyone has beaten a 2D Mario at some point in their life. You must fall into that .00000001% who's parents don't love you.

Spark Of Spirit

I really like SMB2 USA. It's not a traditional Mario game, but I'd play it over Sunshine, either Land game, Galaxy 1, or 64.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Me go...

1. SMG2
2. SMG
(#'s 3-5 are pretty much equal)
3. SMB3
4. SMW
5. NSMBW
6. SM3DL
7. SMB
8. SM64
9. SMB2
10. NSMB
11. SML
12. SML2
13. SMS/SMBLL

Spark Of Spirit

So I managed to beat Ratchet Deadlocked, and it was a bit shorter than the other games, but it was fun. I'll probably replay it to unlock everything like the others, but I'm not really sure why it got so much hate.

Heck, I enjoy it way more than what I've seen of the Resistance games.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

So I just beat Devil May Cry for the second time. Such an excellent game! Mundus fight is awful, though.

I really love the final battle with Angelo... definitely one of my all time favorite video game bosses. On a similar note, the final battle with Nightmare is the worst shit ever.

Rynnec

Quote from: Foggle on April 08, 2012, 07:04:32 PM
So I just beat Devil May Cry for the second time. Such an excellent game! Mundus fight is awful, though.

I really love the final battle with Angelo... definitely one of my all time favorite video game bosses. On a similar note, the final battle with Nightmare is the worst shit ever.

Assuming you're playing the HD collection, does it allow you to customize 1's controls? The first games control scheme is the only reason I haven't played it yet.