What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

They appear to be doing that a bit for Wii as well (at least the ones around here, anyway); hence, my recent purchases of Epic Mickey and Mario Super Sluggers (both non-players choice, as well).

I like Epic Mickey, and Super Sluggers is your prototypical Mario sports title; nothing too flashy, but it's fun, and a nice way to pass an afternoon. For $15 a pop, you really can't go wrong.

Eddy

I had heard Walmart was doing some kind of Wii and DS sale but checking on their website all I saw was shovelware. I guess I should try to hit up my Walmart soon to see if I can find any good deals.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Just happened to come across the GBA version of Yoshi's Island for only $3 at some random electronics store that I was with some of my friends at downtown. Being that I have forever lost my original SNES copy of the game, I just couldn't pass this deal up, so I snagged it for myself. I have no idea of the GBA version is a good port or not, but since most SNES games translated pretty well to the GBA, I don't see why this game should be any different. I just hope they didn't change the music for it like they did for some GBA ports that I know of.

I won't really have time to play much of this game until about 2 weeks from now when my summer starts since I have a lot of studying to get done for finals, but I did manage to play the first 3 levels just for nostalgia sake, and lets just say that its easy to remember why this is my favorite platformer of all time, BY FAR. :thumbup:

I can't wait to relive more of this game when I get the chance.

Spark Of Spirit

It's actually a really good port. All the Super Mario Advance games are.

The big differences in the GBA version of Yoshi's Island is that they added Yoshi's voice to actions instead of the SMW sounds, they added extra unlockable levels that are diabolically hard, and the sound quality isn't quite as good as the SNES version.

But there are no technical errors aside from curbing the trippiness from Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy due to screen size.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, from the little that I've played, the only major differences that I've noticed were the slightly inferior graphics (the game still looks great thanks to amazing art design, of course), and the sound effects can sound a tad bit choppy in places. Other than that, though, the game emulates perfectly onto the GBA and it runs and controls just as smoothly as the SNES console version of the game. The music also sounds just as good as ever as far as I can tell, so its definitely a worthy port of the greatest platformer of all time. :thumbup:

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 20, 2012, 03:13:26 PM
It's actually a really good port. All the Super Mario Advance games are.

The big differences in the GBA version of Yoshi's Island is that they added Yoshi's voice to actions instead of the SMW sounds, they added extra unlockable levels that are diabolically hard, and the sound quality isn't quite as good as the SNES version.

But there are no technical errors aside from curbing the trippiness from Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy due to screen size.

I actually love the new levels they added, even though you're right; I was amazed at how difficult they were (especially Endless World of Yoshi's; the whole "Flutter Jump through a floating spike field" bit was ridiculous, to say the least).

...still though, nothing compares to Kamek's Revenge. That is one of the single hardest 2D Mario levels ever, IMO.

Spark Of Spirit

I don't mind hard platforming levels, but I'm too much of a completionist in Yoshi's Island that it makes the levels 20 times harder.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, one of the things that I have re-discovered that I love about this game so much is just how exploration-heavy the levels are. Its not necessarily in the same vein as Sonic games with their alternate paths, but rather you can go back and forth through the level and also go up and down and try to find as many hidden areas or obstacles to get through as you can to collect all of the items in a level or to find hidden bonus stages or even keys to hidden doors. Every good Mario game is crammed full of secrets within each and every level, and Yoshi's Island is no exception. It has so much for you to do in each level that the replay value is just immense. Even after you've played a level a good 4 or 5 times over, you can still come back to it and probably discover a thing or two that you never found before. That's just brilliant level design (and game design in general) right there.

Spark Of Spirit

I refuse to ever move on in Yoshi's Island unless my score is 100% in the level. This is the only game I've ever done this with. Which shows how much fun it is to find the stuff.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I certainly attempt to 100% each stage on my first run through them, but I don't exactly go out of my way to fully complete them on my first run through the game since I typically like to progress and then come back to each level that I still have stuff left to collect in after I've beaten the game once.

As for the game itself, I played up to last stage (2nd castle) of Island (World) 1, though I haven't actually played the last level of it yet. The thing that has me excited is that in the first island alone the levels were so well-designed and robust with lots of exploration and diverse level design to keep you interested. And the thing is, its just an introduction to the game. I remember that the levels open up way more in later Islands (Worlds) and the diversity of the level obstacles get even more creative and even somewhat challenging (by a Mario game's standards, anyways) down the line. I can't wait to progress through the game. It already has a strong start just like I remembered, and the thing is the beginning was probably my least favorite Island of the game just for how much more open the later Islands were, and the fact that its still awesome on its own means that the rest of the game will be and mind-blowingly good as I've always remembered it to be.

I also love the boss fights in this game, despite how simple and easy they are. They just have a very satisfying feel to them that makes them a joy to play through every single time. I do wish that I could play a Yoshi's Island sequel that has more challenging boss fights that really force you to get really creative with Yoshi's egg-throwing ability, as well as with his entire set of abilities in general.

Oh, and I may have mentioned this before, but this game's sountrack is easily among my top 3 favorites out of any games in the SNES library that I've ever played.

talonmalon333

I've been playing Sonic Colors. I've beaten two worlds/parks, and I think I have three left. It's definitely a step in the right direction... but my feelings have been somewhat mixed so far. I'll list what I like so far, and don't like.

- The level design, as a whole, is kinda "meh".
+ The gameplay in the 2D sections is great.
- The controls, mostly in the 3D portions, are horrendous. I wasn't expecting Super Mario Galaxy quality, but this is the same BS that has always plagued 3D Sonic.
- The power ups feel under utilized.
+ Story is light hearted and almost feels like a cartoon, as Sonic should stick to.
+ Though it's not all good, the music has been acceptable overall.
+ The graphics are very appealing.
+ Robotnik is amusing in cutscenes.
- However, everyone else in the cutscenes is generally just plain grating to listen to, either because of their dialogue or voice acting.

It's certainly not top tier for the Wii. But as a whole, I have been enjoying it and plan on continuing it right now. It's definitely better than the last 3D Sonic games.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 20, 2012, 06:08:56 PMOh, and I may have mentioned this before, but this game's sountrack is easily among my top 3 favorites out of any games in the SNES library that I've ever played.
A new Yoshi's Island that sounds like this is what I've been waiting for

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 20, 2012, 06:28:32 PM
I've been playing Sonic Colors. I've beaten two worlds/parks, and I think I have three left. It's definitely a step in the right direction... but my feelings have been somewhat mixed so far. I'll list what I like so far, and don't like.

- The level design, as a whole, is kinda "meh".
+ The gameplay in the 2D sections is great.
- The controls, mostly in the 3D portions, are horrendous. I wasn't expecting Super Mario Galaxy quality, but this is the same BS that has always plagued 3D Sonic.
- The power ups feel under utilized.
+ Story is light hearted and almost feels like a cartoon, as Sonic should stick to.
+ Though it's not all good, the music has been acceptable overall.
+ The graphics are very appealing.
+ Robotnik is amusing in cutscenes.
- However, everyone else in the cutscenes is generally just plain grating to listen to, either because of their dialogue or voice acting.

It's certainly not top tier for the Wii. But as a whole, I have been enjoying it and plan on continuing it right now. It's definitely better than the last 3D Sonic games.
It depends on how far you are. Colors is the type of game that gets better the further it goes because it gives you a lot more options, routes, power-ups, and paths.

But yes, it is a great game.

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Also, be sure to go back for the red rings. They open up the levels a lot when you learn where all the paths are and how best to tackle the stages.

Quote from: xXxFoGgLe=420xXx on April 20, 2012, 06:34:44 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 20, 2012, 06:28:32 PM
the music has been acceptable
:srs:
How did I miss that? Yikes.  :humhumhum:

Best Sonic soundtrack since Sonic 3 & Knuckles no doubt.

Foggle

I don't know, the first Sonic Adventure had a pretty amazing OST (disregarding almost every track with vocals, of course).

But I love the one in Colors! It's funky and chill with a few good rock songs, too. The theme music is complete garbage, though.