What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Somehow I highly doubt Skyward Sword is that bad. I have played bits of the game and the motion controls are certainly far from perfect, but they are far from broken as well.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 10, 2012, 06:01:01 PM
Quote from: Daxdiv on May 10, 2012, 05:59:22 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 09, 2012, 10:32:34 PM
How much you like Skyward Sword will depend on your favorite Zelda game.

My favorite is A Link to the Past and Wind Waker. What does that say for me?
Steer clear.
You definitely won't enjoy it as much as those two. It's not a bad game, but too corridor-ish.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 10, 2012, 06:13:08 PM

Steer clear.
You definitely won't enjoy it as much as those two. It's not a bad game, but too corridor-ish.

You mean it's like Final Fantasy 13 in that regard where they give you a general direction to go in?

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 10, 2012, 06:10:44 PM
Somehow I highly doubt Skyward Sword is that bad. I have played bits of the game and the motion controls are certainly far from perfect, but they are far from broken as well.
It's not a bad game, but it has tons of boring filler and the motion controls are stupid. Sword combat doesn't even work properly for me half the time.

I've played maybe about an hour of SS per week since I restarted it. It's just not any fun for me, and I have to force myself through it.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Daxdiv on May 10, 2012, 06:14:03 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 10, 2012, 06:13:08 PM

Steer clear.

You mean it's like Final Fantasy 13 in that regard where they give you a general direction to go in?
Yeah, it's hyper-directed. I don't mind the combat or anything else, but the game isn't as "wide" as it could be.

But it isn't a glorified straight-line like FF13. You can go to town and such.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on May 10, 2012, 06:14:35 PM
It's not a bad game, but it has tons of boring filler and the motion controls are stupid. Sword combat doesn't even work properly for me half the time.

That's interesting, since most complaints that I've heard is that the game is just one long dungeon and doesn't have enough filler (like not enough towns or people to talk to, and a lack of mini-games and such), which means that its like 40-50 hours of dungeon and puzzles from what others have said about the game, which I suppose can be really overkill if that's all its going for. Still, I don't really care too much what anyone else says until I play the game for myself.

Foggle

When I say "filler," I'm referring to the pointless fetch quests within dungeons that exist solely to drag out your stay inside them. The filler material you're referring to is sorely lacking in the game and would have definitely improved it.

talonmalon333

SS does have plenty of filler. Lots of fetch quests that don't do much but extent play time. Also, it's true that the game is kinda a long dungeon with little breathing room. Also, the game's a lot more streamlined than past Zelda games, which can be a good or bad thing... But with that said, Foggle is being very harsh. With the exception of a few motion controls that feel unnecessary, the controls are marvelous. Really, there's nothing else like it. And the swordplay is great, story is very nice, dungeons are some of the best in the series (it's merely the first few that are lackluster), art style is pretty, difficulty actually exists, one of the best central towns in the series, and the list goes on. I think the game's great, and a perfect send off for the Wii. On par with TP, if you ask me.

Foggle

Yeah, I'm being overly harsh. But honestly, the swordplay really just does not work for me. Link horizontal slashes about 60% of the time no matter what I do. :-\

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on May 10, 2012, 06:40:46 PM
Yeah, I'm being overly harsh. But honestly, the swordplay really just does not work for me. Link horizontal slashes about 60% of the time no matter what I do. :-\

I never had that problem. In fact, the game would be unplayable if it did. :P

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

Spark Of Spirit

Or maybe he has a faulty Wiimotion Plus. The one I got with Red Steel 2 works fine.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 10, 2012, 06:50:22 PM
I never had that problem. In fact, the game would be unplayable if it did. :P
It's not actually unplayable that way, just extremely clumsy.

And I dunno, I've performed perfect vertical slashes before only to witness Link execute a horizontal slice. :-X

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 10, 2012, 06:55:29 PM
Or maybe he has a faulty Wiimotion Plus. The one I got with Red Steel 2 works fine.
It's possible. The Wii Motion Plus I'm using is the Skyward Sword controller. I'll be picking up Red Steel 2 eventually, so maybe SS will work better for me once I get a new one...

Spark Of Spirit

I just beat the Volcano Dungeon in Monster World IV. Wow, that was hard. And it was only the second dungeon!

Avaitor

Just finished Paper Mario. Whatta game!

I got a copy of The Thousand-Year-Door for free at the flea market not too long ago, so I should play that next. I think I'll go through another playthrough of Star Fox 64 while I still have my N64 hooked up though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

The Thousand Year Door is the best of the three, so you won't be disappointed.

Now that you mention it, I should play 64 again, though. It's been a while.