What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on June 25, 2011, 12:16:13 AM
The game has dual analog aiming and has no aim assist? That's insane. Not a single modern gamer will be able to crack it!  :P

No seriously, that's crazy.
There might be some, but I'm just so terrible at the game that I wouldn't even notice. ;)

Regardless, there definitely isn't any CoD-style quick-scoping. You actually have to aim.

gunswordfist

Aim assist? I knew Foggle wasn't a real gamer.

I got a bit farther on Bulletstorm. That is all.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Enjoy not being able to do the most difficult skillshots because your gamepad can't keep up with the precision of the glorious PC master race mouse and keyboard control scheme.

this is a troll post, if you can't tell

gunswordfist

Heh, I've been playing it and realized that the game definitely was made to be on a PC.

Act 5 Chapter 2 of Bulletstorm is so much fun that it should be illegal. I got to that stage and well past it today. Between that and now I fell in love with the game many times over.

Foggle

Team Fortress 2 is now free to play on both PC and Mac! I recommend everyone try it, even if you think your computer can't run it; you might be surprised.

Spark Of Spirit

I beat Dead To Rights Retribution on normal. Replaying missions on easy has been way more fun since enemies do seem  to have a more measurable bit of health. It's a pretty fun game and really cheap now, so I can't not recommend it. Especially if you like beat em ups or shooters, it has a good combo of both styles even if a few stages seem to emphasize shooting more you can game it and make them HAVE to fight you (by stealing their gun), and the stealth sections as the dog are actually pretty fun and not frustrating at all, which is quite the surprise considering stealth sections in these types of games usually suck.

I could have done without the too serious and gritty story as I'm quite tired of them now, but it does have some funny moments. (Hitting buttons with your hostage's face is quite hilarious, especially his comments)

Combat is fun. Two buttons for hitting, fast and hard you can hit both at different intervals for different moves, your block button can also evade and counter, you can grab and use the guy as a hostage and shoot other enemies while using him for cover (you're going to need this skill) or throw him into a crowd and knock them all over or just throw him off a ledge. You can also use your dog to attack and distract enemies which can change a whole situation in your favor instantly and can lead to really fun combat scenarios. There are different take-downs depending on situation after beating someone up and what gun you currently have equipped though a lack of melee weapons IS a disappointment no doubt, the gameplay is still enjoyable.

So yeah, forgettable story and characters, boring music, and a bit uneven in level design (a few levels in the middle are kind of boring and drag) but a really fun combat system definitely make it more fun than you'd figure it would be.

Overall, fun action game. Too bad it bombed and the series is probably dead, but oh well.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I beat Bulletstorm last night. Great game even though the there will obviously be a sequel ending sucked.

Spark Of Spirit

Guess who got himself a Sega Saturn, Shinobi Legions, Virtual On, and Three Dirty Dwarves all for less than the price of a new game? That's right, it was me.

Oh yeah!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

Think of it as a Shinobi game with Mortal Kombat style digitized graphics. You even slice enemies in two when you cut them.

Great game that I wasn't sure I'd ever get to play with Saturn emulation being so annoying.

gunswordfist

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just played the Sonic Generations and Duke Nukem Forver demos.

As for Sonic Generations, I had a lot of fun with Green Hill Zone and have played it 5 times over thus far, trying to explore the level in its entirety by taking different paths each time or looking for obscure areas that are harder to get to. However, I still haven't tried the game from the 3D perspective yet, so as far as I'm concerned it remains to be seen whether that form of gameplay holds up well or not.

As for DNF, I probably can't just go by the demo to decide whether I like it or not, but I'm trying my hardest to figure out just from this where all of the complaints spawn from. As someone who has no preconceived bias towards the series (I never played or grew up with any of the classic games aside from playing a demo for DN3D a few years ago), I thought that the demo was pretty fun. I certainly don't see how the gameplay is 3/10 worthy as most critics seem to feel. I'm not going to say it was anything amazing, but I had fun so something clearly must be wrong with either me or the critics.

Also, as a frame of reference, I also decided to download and try the Call of Duty: Black-Ops demo just for the hell of it to see whether I could get into its movie style of gameplay or not....I'll be honest, I made it through the entire demo, and it wasn't bad or anything, but I sincerely felt pretty bored and unimpressed throughout most of it. To be fair I don't think most people play it for its single-player anyways, but I can say for sure that I have NEVER cared for CoD's multiplayer (yes, I've tried it, and personally its not my cup of tea; if I want multiplayer I'll get some casual fun out of Halo and a few other shooters, but that's it).

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 30, 2011, 08:57:51 PM
As for DNF, I probably can't just go by the demo to decide whether I like it or not, but I'm trying my hardest to figure out just from this where all of the complaints spawn from. As someone who has no preconceived bias towards the series (I never played or grew up with any of the classic games aside from playing a demo for DN3D a few years ago), I thought that the demo was pretty fun. I certainly don't see how the gameplay is 3/10 worthy as most critics seem to feel. I'm not going to say it was anything amazing, but I had fun so something clearly must be wrong with either me or the critics.
Yeah, it's nothing amazing, but it's fun and funny. Not sure what the press' vendetta against the game is.

Spark Of Spirit

Just played the Sonic Generations demo yet again. 110 rings in 1:30.

This game is gonna rock.

gunswordfist