Academy Award for Best Animated Feature

Started by Avaitor, January 24, 2023, 04:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Starting this topic to share today's news, and also to watch this space for a project I've had in development for a minute.

Until then, here are this year's nominees:

-Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio
-Marcel the Snail with Shoes On
-Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
-The Sea Beast
-Turning Red

So far I've seen 3/5- Pinocchio, Puss in Boots, and Turning Red- and I like all three a good amount, but I think Puss is my favorite. Who knew that the world needed a cross between Shrek, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, and Fury Road, but we have it and it's glorious.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

I've also only seen 3/5 of them as well, GDT's Pinocchio, Puss in Boots The Last Wish & Turning Red. I can easily fix watching The Sea Beast since it's on Netflix & might have to rent Marcel The Shell. Out of the 3 I've seen, I would give it to either Pinocchio or Puss in Boots. Both were pretty entertaining films in their own right. Puss in Boots being a pretty good sequel to the first PiB's movie with some stellar animation & an interesting story. While Pinocchio was also a pretty good take on the classic Pinocchio story with a lot of heart & soul put into it. The stop motion was pretty impressive & I kinda understood the angle it was going for with it's ending. Turning Red was fine, still a step up from Lightyear & Strange World, but not their strongest outing, though I can see why Disney made it their nom for the category.

Daikun

Dr. Insomniac

I just saw Marcel the Snail with Shoes On, and thinking that's something that should win, if only to get more people interested in watching the movie. People are gonna watch and enjoy GDT's work, Dreamworks, and Disney no matter if they win or not, while the comparative obscurity for Marcel is lamentable and should be fixed. The mix of whimsy and melancholy in a film about two mollusks living their life was surprising, reminding me of Adventure Time at its best. It's so absurd, but it more than delivers on being an emotional roller coaster.

It also features a cameo from a guy who graduated from one of Canada's top business schools with really good grades, and anything he touches is cool.