DC Animated Shows

Started by Dr. Insomniac, June 20, 2024, 11:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, I remember watching a little of the other 90s Marvel shows a few years ago just to see or remember what they were like, the ones that don't have the legacy Spider-Man or X-Men do, and they remind me why BTAS and Gargoyles get so much praise when this was the competition. Like the Silver Surfer show having the ugliest CGI ever and a retrospectively unfitting Thanos voice. Or that Spider-Man Unlimited cartoon where Peter went to space to fight the High Evolutionary and his army of human-discriminating furries, and it was just as stupid as it sounds but at least the theme song was cool. The weirdest part is which characters didn't get a show, like a whole roster of Marvel series, and there's no Thor cartoon or Captain America one? Though I heard they planned to do one, and Steve was not going to be Cap in this, which just goes to show how different things were then compared to recently.

And with Fox Kids censorship being as strict as it was, it's hilarious what could've happened if other characters got a show in the 90s. Like a Punisher cartoon where Frank's only allowed to shoot lasers at robots or aliens, or a Daredevil animated series where Matt lives in Heck's Kitchen and Bullseye's completely incompetent.

And yeah, the MCU's liberties have gotten increasingly more questionable over time, and the only saving grace is at least it's not like the Sony Spider-Man Universe where Madame Web's some paramedic who has to earn being crippled and learn that great responsibility leads to great power, or Kraven being a hero who gets powers after getting bit by a radioactive lion. Besides having the same issue the 90s cartoons do in giving some characters movies but not others (why give Madame Web a movie over Black Cat?), the biggest sin there is shoving all these characters into Peter Parker shaped holes instead of being interestingly weird with their changes. Where's my Daily Bugle movie that rips off Spotlight, where Jameson and Robbie investigate systemic abuse running in New York?

Avaitor

I think I'm going to try Caped Crusader tonight. I haven't really been avoiding it, but my attention keeps taking me elsewhere. I don't expect it to top TAS or TBATB (which I rewatched not that long ago and still adore), but I like the concept behind it at least.

MAWS is fine, but it feels more like baby's first Superman story to me, or really Superman for weebs. I think that's why it has such a following currently, even if it's kind of dry. I'm also hit or miss on the character changes- I like the show's take on Lois and I appreciate that this Jimmy is closer to the original character as opposed to whatever the hell the Supergirl show was doing with her, but speaking of Kara, I don't love her Android 18-ification. It's a unique take, and she's cute with Jimmy, but her reveal wasn't as impactful as it should have felt.

Also surprised to see people think that S:TAS is weak sauce, when Supes is OP there, and MAWS' Kal-El keeps getting his ass handed to him. Maybe that's the intent?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, MAWS is unapologetically weeby in a way we haven't really gotten since the Teen Titans show, like shoving Reigen and Gurren Lagann robots into the show, turning Parasite into Shin Godzilla, and naming an episode "Fullmetal Scientist" (which isn't really a good pun, an alchemist is a scientist), but it lacks that spark that made TT fun to watch as a kid. That show was also shameless in ripping off anime, but the cinematography is so striking at times that I can kinda get why '03 fans want more of this and resent TTG's existence.

And I don't know if STAS detractors have even watched much of STAS since that tweet I posted called it "sexless", and for a show that aired on 90s Saturday mornings, it was coming out around the peak of Timm's horniness. That or they misremember JL episodes as part of STAS, and that's where Clark's a huge jobber and not much for romance since Lois barely appears in that show.

I think another reason is that, thanks to streaming and more... underhanded methods to read comics, it's easier than ever to compare and contrast DC adaptations of characters with the source material and other versions. Almost nobody in the late 90s had instant access to almost all of Action Comics at the tip of their fingers or be able to watch random clips of DC movies on YouTube. And the other latest Superman adaptations at the time of STAS were Quest For Peace, which we all know the reception of, and the Lois and Clark series that was all right but was limited by a 90s network TV budget.

Avaitor

I finally got around to watching Caped Crusader, and it's good! I was hoping for it to be, the setting looked appealing, although I almost think they didn't do enough with it. Parts of it felt a little too modern, like how openly Harley and Montoya could be out.

Still, I like that Timm rejected making a B:TAS revival and went for something different, and also restrained himself. No double ass cheeks here.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on September 04, 2024, 04:51:32 PMParts of it felt a little too modern, like how openly Harley and Montoya could be out.
Yeah, the show's very Bridgerton in its societal depictions. I don't have any issue with it, but CC really wants to have its cake and eat it by having a 40s noir setting but with none of the cultural norms of a 40s noir setting.