Anime Recommendations

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, February 13, 2011, 02:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

YOU SHOULD ALL WATCH BLOOD LAD. LIKE RIGHT NOW. NOT KIDDING.

gunswordfist

Oh I watched the first 3 episodes of Hunter X Hunter early this morning. More good recs please
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 19, 2013, 11:31:04 AM
Oh I watched the first 3 episodes of Hunter X Hunter early this morning. More good recs please

Was it the old version or the new one?

gunswordfist

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alright, just checking. The remake is probably the best way to go for consistency, anyways.

That said, keep in mind that the story doesn't really pick up until about after the first 13 episodes or so (which is after the first recap episode....that you can totally skip, of course).

Also, the series gradually gets a bit darker as it goes on. It doesn't just make an abrupt transition, which is great, but you'll start seeing hints of some of the grimmer aspects of this series as early as episode 20, and I think the show has a good balance between fun adventure aspects and dark but interesting story arcs.

Oh, and keep a close eye out in the background for quick little Yu Yu Hakusho Easter Eggs. Its nothing too special, but its fun to notice such things if you are observant enough to catch them.

gunswordfist

Fate/Zero, Redline, Black Lagoon, Fujiko, Kenichi, Darker Than Black, Jormungand are what I plan on watching mostly thanks to the last few pages. Edit: and Psycho Pass. Definitely Psycho Pass.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 28, 2013, 01:33:48 PM
Fate/Zero, Redline, Black Lagoon, Fujiko Kenichi, Darker Than Black, Jormunaga (sp?) are what I plan on watching mostly thanks to the last few pages.
The new Lupin series?

I highly recommend all of those, btw. Well, maybe not Jormungand (it is good, but not amazing). Personally, I'd go for Redline first, since it's a movie. I thought you'd seen Black Lagoon, though. :o

gunswordfist

I am sure everyone thinks I've seen BL since it's right up my alley but I almost never watch not on tv anime.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Fate/Zero, Redline, Black Lagoon, Fujiko, Kenichi, Darker Than Black, Jormungand are what I plan on watching mostly thanks to the last few pages. Edit: and Psycho Pass. Definitely Psycho Pass.

Out of those, I'd personally say that you should pass on Kenichi (unless you're talking about a different series than what I'm thinking of). Its just generic shounen stuff, and will probably just piss you off when coming off of an actual good shounen series like Hunter X Hunter. That series has a tendency to make the cliches of other shounen manga/anime look much worse.

Also, I thought Darker Than Black was a pretty "meh" experience (not bad by any means, but nothing about it grabbed me at all), but I suppose its still worth checking out. All of the other shows on your list seem like good watches, though. Out of those, I've only really seen Redline, Black Lagoon, and Fujiko, but all 3 of them are terrific and totally up your alley. I still need to watch more of Fate/Zero. Admittedly, I probably need to re-watch the first episode again, though, since that was pretty dense with information and exposition that I honestly didn't entirely get on my first viewing of it.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 28, 2013, 03:10:57 PM
Out of those, I'd personally say that you should pass on Kenichi (unless you're talking about a different series than what I'm thinking of).
Oh, he added a comma. :sweat:

Psycho-Pass is also quite nice.

gunswordfist

So, I tried to watch Redline last night and the stupid fucking Manga Xbox 360 app played an ad during the movie so I ran out of that shit.

gunswordfist

Which came out first: Saint Seiya Omega or The Lost Canvas?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just watched episode 12 of FZ. Maybe it was because I was half asleep, but I honestly couldn't follow Kirei's conversation with Archer. I got totally lost trying to listen to it and it took up about half of the episode, so I imagine that it's pretty important. :sweat:

Grave

Birdy the Mighty: Decode
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
Corpse Princess

I wanna get folks opinion on these series. I've been told that I would get my appetite filled with the action in both of those, but as far as Phantom goes I haven't gotten any feedback about that.

LumRanmaYasha

I've watched about 9 episodes of the first season of Birdy: The Mighty Decode and got pretty into it, myself. It's a pretty good action show, with fairly likable characters and had an interesting conspiracy plotline going on. Nothing outstanding, mind you, but solid entertainment, and I'd say it's worth a watch. I'd have finished it back when I first watched it, but it got taken off of Netflix, and I forgot about it. One of these days I'll get back to watching it again.

Don't know too much about the other two, except that I've heard mixed opinions about Corpse Princess and passed on watching it back when it was on Netflix. But if you want my opinion, if you're looking for a good action show, and you haven't seen it already, then you should check out Black Lagoon, which is one of my favorites (and I know it's one of several others on here too). I think that series will satisfy any action craving you may have.  ;)