Anime Recommendations

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, February 13, 2011, 02:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Well compared to a lot of other battle shonen series, YYH isn't that long at all, and you can get the whole series for less than $100 now, so Yu Yu may not be that bad of a choice for a first action show.

For a first anime series, though? I'd probably go with something much shorter, like Baccano!, Bebop or Death Note. You could finish the first in a weekend, maybe the second as well if you're really into it, while YYH would probably take a lot longer to complete. I don't think too many beginners are as willing to try something as long as one of the Jump series unless they grew up watching stuff like DBZ on Toonami.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I was wondering if anybody could recommend me any good anime movies. I have to admit that my experience with film when it comes to anime is quite shallow.

Just for the record, I already plan to see Summer Wars as soon as I get a chance to, so you don't have to bother recommending that to me. Also, I have tried several Miyazaki films, and while I have respect for the guy and his work, I must be honest and confess that I have never really found any of his films to be all too engaging for me, personally, though I did enjoy Castle of Cagliostro to some extent (possibly more because its a Lupin movie than because it was directed by Miyazaki) and I thought Spirited Away was an OK film (but honestly it didn't really grab me as much as it did for other people, but someday I'll try and sit down to watch it again). If you feel there is a Miyazaki film that I absolutely must watch, or re-watch if I have already seen it and just didn't care much for it the first time that I tried it, then you can feel free to recommend that to me.

Other than that, though, I would like some recommendations for good anime movies that are maybe a bit less popular or less talked about, yet that still hold up enough in quality. I have already seen Akira (the psychological/Armageddon type story classic, I suppose, and Ninja Scroll which is the anime action movie classic), but that's about it, honestly. I haven't seen a single thing from Satoshi Kon except for a few random episodes of Paranoia Agent, and I haven't seen a bunch of movies from other famous creators and directors, so I'm pretty much up for just about anything anyone has to recommend.

Avaitor

I forget, have you see Totoro before? If not, I'd add that to your list.

As for Kon, I'd suggest Tokyo Godfathers. It's the only one of his movies that I've seen, but it's a good one.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

The only Kon movie I don't find to be overrated as hell is probably Tokyo Godfathers. Just don't watch Perfect Blue which is incredibly boring and predictable with a dab of Hitchcock-swiping to make it seem better than it actually is. The last line is the cheesiest thing I've heard in a movie ever, I honestly can't believe someone thought that was a good thing to put in there. Seriously, avoid Perfect Blue.

Have you seen Princess Mononoke? That's still my favorite Miyazaki film that hardcore Miyazaki fans always seem to look down on for some reason.

Movies to avoid- X and Escaflowne (watch the series)

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Angus

I'm assuming you're deferring the Rebuild of Evangelion movies until you finish the TV series?
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Angus

I'm trying to think of movies that aren't followups to TV series:

Macross: Do You Remember Love - it's decent, not as coherent as the pioneering TV series that brought anime to the US

5 Centimeters Per Second - I thought this was overrated as a romance drama but some folks think this is close to a 10 so who knows.

Still need to see Grave of the Fireflies and the original Ghost in the Shell.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - by the same guy who did Summer Wars, was alright, lots of crying later

The local library and rental places might have some goodies.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Hime

Um, how about Busou Renkin? The series kinda similar to FMA due to use of alchemy but differs in terms of fighting. Plus Black Jack + Black Jack 21 which is about an unlicensed doctor that known as a genius :rtard:

Avaitor

New blog!

Foggle

Anyone here seen Ergo Proxy? I love pretty much anything cyberpunk, and the first episode was really cool. I heard it gets pretty existential later on, which, for me, is a good thing (as long as it's handled well). Is the rest of the anime worth watching?

Angus

Samurai Champloo's making the rounds on Funimation On Demand. Worth a viewing?

Spark Of Spirit

I'd say it's worth one viewing.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Angus on August 08, 2011, 07:05:29 AM
Samurai Champloo's making the rounds on Funimation On Demand. Worth a viewing?
2nd3rd best anime of all time.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

JohnKennL

It's a nice idea. Thanks a lot.

Dr. Insomniac

Bored. Want to get back into anime (besides the ones currently airing like Apollon and Space Bros), but need new shows. Somebody recommend some that I probably haven't seen/heard before, so my jaded heart can open up to something good again.

Foggle