The 90s Are All That

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 10, 2011, 05:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Yeah, they aren't skipping over the holiday specials like they normally would, for Rugrats and Arnold. They did for Doug and the other shows though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rynnec

If nothing else, then hopefully this means we'll get the Chanukah special. That one always gets ignored by Nicktoons during the Holidays.

Avaitor

I think they passed over that, since they did skip a handful of episodes.

Heh, speaking of which, they did air the Passover episode, back in like December or January.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Oh, I forgot to say, I went to Best Buy the other day and saw that they had a few copies of season 1 of Clarissa for $15. If you haven't already bought it, I'd recommend checking it out.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, my Best Buy is already going down the toilet. I have no idea why, either. It just seemed to stop getting good stuff, and animation seems to be the hardest one cut.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I remember reading that Best Buys all over might just remove all DVDs and CDs and rely primarily on selling cell phones and tech stuff.

They've already been cutting back on the CDs a bit, but I severely hope its not true.

New blog!

Commode

I haven't been to a Best Buy in so long, last time was when I needed a part for the Sirius reciever in my car, but they've had the worst selection in everything for a while now(unless you want big ticket items like a washer or a TV).  The video games are a joke(gimme GameStop any day), nobody really buys CDs anymore(do they?) and all my DVDs usually come from places like FYE.  It was weird when it went from me going to Best Buy and buying a bunch of stuff to me going to Best Buy and only buying a Coke or a Vitamin Water, leaving unimpressed.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

I don't think I could ever go to FYE to get my main purchases. I'll check it out for used stuff and if I'm super desperate to find a harder to come by CD or DVD and don't want to revert to buying online, since they do tend to have a good selection compared to just about everywhere else, but their prices are shit. Who wants to pay MSRP?

For an example, the other day, I checked out their price for the new High on Fire album. $17 new, $10 used. I went to Best Buy right after, and saw that they had it for $10 new.

New blog!

Rynnec

My town's Best Buy is the only place in town other than Hastings that has a decent selection of anime DVD's, and even that seems to be wanning. Their general cartoons section has already taken a hit.

Commode

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 28, 2012, 02:30:36 PM
I don't think I could ever go to FYE to get my main purchases. I'll check it out for used stuff and if I'm super desperate to find a harder to come by CD or DVD and don't want to revert to buying online, since they do tend to have a good selection compared to just about everywhere else, but their prices are shit. Who wants to pay MSRP?

For an example, the other day, I checked out their price for the new High on Fire album. $17 new, $10 used. I went to Best Buy right after, and saw that they had it for $10 new.
Yeah, but I can't remember the last time I physically bought a CD.  I download pretty much all my music now, especially since it's so easy to just download it straight from my iPhone.

I don't buy DVD's much either, but I don't think they are more expensive than other places.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Kiddington

We don't even have FYE here, and the Suncoast that was still clinging to life after all these years finally shut down a few months ago as well (replaced with a luggage shop; ugh). Hard to believe, but my DVD buying options are even more limited than they were at this time last year.

...and as far as Best Buy is concerned, I echo those statements, depending on what store I happen to be shopping at. The only Best Buy around here that still has a good selection is the one in South Reno, which, low and behold, happens to be the one that's furthest away from me. For whatever reason, that store still has a ton of stuff to look through; their DVD selection is huge by comparison. All of the others, though, are exactly what you described; mere half-aisles for DVDs, the video game section is terrible (they don't even carry strategy guides anymore) and that's about it. I swear, the smartphone area takes up over half the store in most cases.

It's really a shame. Collectors, such as myself, are always viewed as such a fringe minority anymore that none of the big box chains cater even a little to them, especially the ones that are technically supposed to. It's a sad day when the DVD section in Walmart actually dwarfs that of Best Buy.

Rynnec

The nearest FYE from where I live is all the way in Kansas City. I wasn't even aware that FYE existed until this thread tbh  :sweat:. We did have a Sam Goody in our mall though, but that shut down long before they changed to FYE (and of course, the SG in our mall was replaced by yet another clothing store.) Maybe I'll go check out FYE whenever my family goes out to Kansas City again.

Avaitor

Ah, I miss Suncoast. We used to have one at our mall, but I was too young to really appreciate it when we had it. I'd love to get some anime and Crtierion stuff from there now.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I still buy CDs. I simply won't do without physical copies unless it's too rare or expensive.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

There's nothing quite like owning the cases and reading the liner notes inside a CD or LP, really.

New blog!