The 90s Are All That

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 10, 2011, 05:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

"I have to admit, I was a little less than astonished that the show still holds such resonance for these lumpen laborers. It wasn?t just, ?Oh, yeah, I remember that show. Want any cream?? or ?Clarissa explains what exactly??"

This is why the show was so high on my list, in case you were wondering.

Edit "Especially for those were who were girls at the time, there was finally a show for them. Looking back, you know what Clarissa?s values were and, to me, they were a lot better than what came after ? Lizzie McGuire and Miley Cyrus.

Clarissa was smart. She wasn?t trying to be a ?star.? Being a star for Clarissa would have been a step down. Her character wasn?t aspiring to be famous in a rock and roll star kind of way. She admired smart people. She admired Madonna, but she admired a scientist, for that matter. She was way more cool than the characters from these other shows.

The shows that came after are supposed to be ?aspirational,? but [their characters] are really aspiring be show business stars, which is about the least functional, least useful thing in the world. American Idol and all these shows are great, but being a scientist or being a journalist or being a painter or being anything is more important.

These other shows are so focused on being a singer, which usually has some sexual component, of course.

Clarissa was a girl who stood up for herself and other people around her that she cared about. She never wavered or backed down and always went after whatever it was she wanted. She always did things her own way and would have a plan. If the first plan didn?t work out, then she would go to her next plan. And if that plan didn?t work out, then she would have another plan. That?s truly aspirational."

Even better representation.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Hmm, apparently Klickstein's book is more than likely going to end with Roundhouse, since that was one of the last shows he watched regularly on the channel.. Which if true, would mean that he'd miss out on a lot of good shows like Rocko and Legends.

But at the same time, he says that his publisher wants him to end with All That, so he can focus on a few other series to that point. I'd personally end with Hey Arnold! or Kablam! if I was doing it, but it's his book. Also, he did do an article about Pete & Pete, which premiered a year after Roundhouse. Although they did make shorts for it as far back as the very late 80's, so it might be an easy exception to the deadline.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

It should end with Zim, IMO. Just due to all the drama behind it, it really shows how Nick lost their spark in how they just gave up on it for no reason. There isn't much to write about after it, either.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

There's a lot of forgettable crap in the interim to cover though, some of which I don't think most people involved would care enough to recollect on or discuss. Cousin Skeeter, The Brothers Garcia and The Nick Cannon Show, anyone?

Besides, Jerry Beck kinda nailed Zim's history with his Nicktoon book with a couple of years back. Speaking of which, doesn't it say something that Beck could easily get Jhonen Vasquez and John K to talk about their history at Nick with no problem, but couldn't get  Arlene Klasky or Gabor Csupo to show up?

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

After the way Nick basically humped them and dumped them, I'm not surprised. KC got dumped on a lot back in the 90s thanks to FOX and Nick.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

lawl, so I totally found season 2, volume 1 of Danny Phantom in the $5 bin at Walmart.

I can't tell if that's a good or bad sign.

New blog!

Daxdiv

Depends, did you find another Nick series in there or was it just DP? if there were more series in there, I'd be worry. If it was just DP, I just see it as getting rid of a weak link.

Avaitor

Just DP. It might just be a mistake, too, since I bought the Shaggy Dog 2-pack from there, and it was $10.

I honestly wouldn't mind if they just put the half-season sets in there after a while, since it's ridiculous to pay $15 for 10 episodes.

New blog!

Kiddington

I doubt they're trying to move these that desperately, especially given that the set in question was only released two months ago. I've never seen them in the bargain bins myself, either.

Somebody probably just threw it in there, either by mistake, or were too lazy to put it back on the shelf. That's my guess.

Spark Of Spirit

I think DP is one of Nick's lesser series popularity-wise. It's probably down there with Catdog and the Mighty B.

Avaitor

It used to have a fairly decent cult following back in the day. Not on Avatar's level, but strong enough to have a protest or two for it to be renewed in New York. But I think that following left after it ended and realized that it wasn't a god show to begin with.

New blog!

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 14, 2012, 07:54:27 PM
I think DP is one of Nick's lesser series popularity-wise. It's probably down there with Catdog and the Mighty B.

I'll be honest, that's a really strange comparison.

Even though you and I don't like it, people reminisce about CatDog as being part of "the good ol' days" all the time (just look at the block's Facebook page for proof). Mighty B was only in production for like a year, and nobody ever talked about it; not then, and not now. The only recognition I ever remember seeing was "Oh, Amy Poehler made it. That's... cool, I guess".

...and as far as DP is concerned, it used to have a surprisingly vocal fanbase in its heyday, but I think people have cooled off towards it now that they're older and realize how much it sucks.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Kiddington on June 14, 2012, 07:59:44 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 14, 2012, 07:54:27 PM

I'll be honest, that's a really strange comparison.

Even though you and I don't like it, people reminisce about CatDog as being part of "the good ol' days" all the time (just look at the block's Facebook page for proof).
I dunno, no one ever knew Catdog here growing up. It may just be a US thing, but I've never met someone outside of the internet who knows what it is.

I think DP suffered the Inuyasha effect.

Rynnec

I think DP suffered the Inuyasha effect.

Being really popular in its heyday when it was still premiering new episodes, but then dying down in popularity once it ended and people realized it really wasn't anything special, with only diehard fans and nostalgiafags thinking otherwise?

Avaitor

It might be a US thing, because CatDog was fairly popular, albeit for a short while.

Actually, I wouldn't mind it airing on The 90's Are All That as much as I would Rocket Power or The Amanda Show, since even though CatDog isn't much older than either of them, it peaked in popularity at the end of the decade, so I wouldn't mind it sliding in as a 90's show too much.

New blog!