The Pokemon Topic

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 27, 2010, 06:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

At least Moltres has decent TM capability. That's why I never really understood the griping when it comes to poor movesets...........as long as it can at least learn a few decent TM's, it's fine with me.

Honestly if you guys want the worst legendaries, look no further than the golem trio from Gen 3 (Regice is okay I guess, but good lord those other two). They were already losing their touch by then.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Kiddington on March 14, 2014, 01:12:21 AM
At least Moltres has decent TM capability. That's why I never really understood the griping when it comes to poor movesets...........as long as it can at least learn a few decent TM's, it's fine with me.

Fire hardly has any good TMs, though. I mean there's Fire Blast, but that's about it, and it's hardly a move that you can consistently use and rely on.

Honestly, my issue would be smaller if Moltres started with Flamethrower instead of Fire Spin.

Kiddington

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 14, 2014, 01:14:35 AM
Quote from: Kiddington on March 14, 2014, 01:12:21 AM

Fire hardly has any good TMs, though. I mean there's Fire Blast, but that's about it, and it's hardly a move that you can consistently use and rely on.

Honestly, my issue would be smaller if Moltres started with Flamethrower instead of Fire Spin.

Yeah but back in Gen 1 (which I assume we're talking about here, given that Flamethrower has been a TM since Gen 3), Fire Spin was like a guaranteed win if you could get it off. Back then any of those 2-5 turn moves had no break for the opponent to attack, so you could just spam it to no end until you knock 'em out.

Really the only generation it's at its most useless in is Gen 2 (Fire Spin was fixed, Flamethrower/Sky Attack no longer TM's, etc.), but that's a moot point since you couldn't actually catch Moltres in GSC anyway.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Kiddington on March 14, 2014, 01:20:37 AM
Yeah but back in Gen 1 (which I assume we're talking about here, given that Flamethrower has been a TM since Gen 3), Fire Spin was like a guaranteed win if you could get it off. Back then any of those 2-5 turn moves had no break for the opponent to attack, so you could just spam it to no end until you knock 'em out.

Guess my memory of the attack isn't good enough. That makes Moltres a bit cheap, doesn't it? Maybe he was the most powerful of the three, and not in the fun way like Articuno.

Kiddington

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 14, 2014, 01:23:53 AM
Quote from: Kiddington on March 14, 2014, 01:20:37 AM

Guess my memory of the attack isn't good enough. That makes Moltres a bit cheap, doesn't it? Maybe he was the most powerful of the three, and not in the fun way like Articuno.

Pretty much, yeah. Fire Spin isn't a power move but you could definitely win with it, even if its effect was laughably cheap. The only downside is that it' accuracy was just as bad then as it is now.

LumRanmaYasha

THE HOENN REMAKES ARE FINALLY COMING.

Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are coming out in November.

The remakes of the Pokemon games have been consistently better than the originals, so I'm excited for these. If they can improve on those tedious water areas I'll be particularly ecstatic.

Nel_Annette

It's surreal that Pokemon I caught 11 years ago can finally return home to Hoenn. :)

VLordGTZ

Daxdiv

I'm hopeful that some elements of Emerald are incorporated into OR/AS like how Crystal was with , since whenever I feel like playing Hoenn, I always just restart my Emerald copy. Please, give me my Battle Frontier, Game Freak.

gunswordfist

Hoenn's right after Crystal, right?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Nel_Annette

Yeah, I like Emerald's version of the story best, where both teams are the bad guys and Magma's base is in an appropriate spot. Though I would say keep the R/S champion, because Emerald's sucked.  :immad:

Spark Of Spirit

This is the generation where I lost interest, so I would definitely like to see what gets changed or added.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

By far the least engaging games of the series, I was pretty meh to the news earlier (really I don't think I've ever had any desire to revisit Hoenn; it's such a boring region, especially with all the fucking water and surfing routes) but I suppose it probably is for the best. This facet of the series could definitely use a makeover.

Hopefully these are at least as good as FR/LG. One thing they definitely could do (but probably won't) to massively improve it is ditch the whole National Dex concept that seems to plague every remake we've gotten up to this point (and Emerald while we're at it, which is really the only game still worth playing out of the original 3). I mean come on, just let us have access to everything and not only about 200 or so Pokemon until the game is already basically over, by which point it doesn't matter. IMO most of the Hoenn Pokemon were pretty disappointing anyway, so I'd much rather have access to everything else.

Nel_Annette

They need to bring back the secret bases. That shit would be perfect for Street Pass.

LumRanmaYasha

I've heard rumors that these won't be simple remakes, but new games with a new story set in the Hoenn region. That'd be pretty cool if that's the case, and would make these games more interesting to play than if they were just remakes (though I'll play them either way).

EDIT: Awp, no. The games are going to be full-on remakes after all. My bad.  :P