The Pokemon Topic

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 27, 2010, 06:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

So this Friend Zone thing is pretty cool.  I got a Gyrados from JD and a Magmar from Daxdiv, as well as a few other cool 'mons from Gaffers(Chestnaut, Braixen, a shiny Volbeat).  Anybody else trying it out?  My FC is 3566-1536-0510 for those who don't already have it, and I know my Friend Zone type is Poison and Silcoon and Drapion appear, but I'm not sure about the third.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Daxdiv

So my friend Zone is Fire then? I can live with this.

Nel_Annette

I beat the game yesterday and I have to say, while Kalos is a cool region and battling in 3D is awesome, overall I think this game has the weakest plot and gym leaders in the series. Team Flare barely seems to do anything before their big climax compared to previous antagonists (in terms of major takeovers compared to small encounters here or there), and their motivation seems a bit all over the place as to why they're doing what they're doing. Didn't really feel like there was enough of a build up to that final battle either. I think I was a bit spoiled by B/W/B2/W2. The gym leaders were really involved in the plot in that one, while here we barely know them for five minutes before we're done with them forever, barring Korrina and a scene or two with the fifth and eighth. Hello? Guys? Kind of have a team of vain, homicidal maniacs over here. Wanna do something about it? Like help the five kids fighting them?

Also thought those kids were pretty annoying too. I don't know, just constantly getting interrupted and herded about by Shauna, Tierno and Trevor with their friendship speeches got old really fast. Champion was a bit of a baffling choice as well, though I suppose I should be used to it being someone who we're introduced to once early in the game and makes another appearance later on at this point. The Elite Four in this game were freaking awesome though. May be one of my favorite Elite Fours in the series. Would like to see them mix up the types you face there even further in the future. Psychic, Steel, Dragon and etc. have been done to death there.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Comeau on October 18, 2013, 09:43:51 PM
So this Friend Zone thing is pretty cool.  I got a Gyrados from JD and a Magmar from Daxdiv, as well as a few other cool 'mons from Gaffers(Chestnaut, Braixen, a shiny Volbeat).  Anybody else trying it out?  My FC is 3566-1536-0510 for those who don't already have it, and I know my Friend Zone type is Poison and Silcoon and Drapion appear, but I'm not sure about the third.

I checked yours out and for some reason my mons were Silcoon and Swalot. Didn't check long enough to see Drapion.

VLordGTZ

I finally finished Pokemon X.  I really like the game but there isn't that much to do in the post-game.  I've already caught all the legendary pokemon that were left, collected all the mega stones, collected all the TMs (except for the ones you get through the Battle Maison), and finished the Looker Agency stuff.  I wish they had added something similar to the Black Tower/White Treehollow or, at the very least, the ability to rematch the Elite 4 and Gym Leaders at higher levels.

LumRanmaYasha

I am honestly shocked right now at how many awesome pokemon are so easily available early on in this game. Seriously, Bagon, Axew, AND Gible, all of them dragon pokemon with incredibly powerful final forms, are common and available to catch before you even need to challenge the 4th gym. Not to mention how easy it is to get other powerhouses like Khangaskhan, Tauros, Miltank, Pinsir, and, of course, the obligatory Snorlax, Lucario, and Lapras. This makes the game so much more fun for me, since I use a rotating team system when I play Pokemon games the first time through (with the restriction I can only catch the first pokemon I encounter in a route/area barring special cases) , and thanks to the EXP. Share working the way it did in generation one I am currently training no less than 16 pokemon all at the same time, all of them level 35 or higher at this point, and  I haven't even beaten the 4th gym yet!

My only problem is that there haven't been many of the new pokemon that I've caught that I became interested in using. I've got Delphox, Pangoro, Hawlucha, and Amaura, but that's about it right now. What I want to do is eventually challenge the Elite Four with only Kalos-native pokemon, so really I just need to find two more interesting and good ones to use. I've been thinking about grabbing Goodra whenever I find it, but I'm not sure what other one I should catch.

Daxdiv

In case anyone was curious Hitoshi Aragi designed a few of the new Pokemon this generation

For the lazy, he designed the following:

-Pangoro
- Honedge
- Doublade
- Aegislash
-Inkay
-Malamar
-Tyrunt
-Tyrantrum
-Amaura
-Aurorus

I knew there was a reason I liked the Pangoro, the Honedge line and Tyrunt line. Now I'm just curious as to what mons James Turner designed this generation.

talonmalon333

I have a question for people here who play Pokemon games.

What do you guys think of using legendary Pokemon in your main party?

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 09, 2014, 12:32:29 PM
I have a question for people here who play Pokemon games.

What do you guys think of using legendary Pokemon in your main party?

Bleh, I never do it. The only time legendaries are of any real use are in Battle Frontier-esque scenarios (when you're fighting equal-leveled opponents with an in-game AI that isn't laughable), but given that nearly every legendary is banned in those scenarios, it doesn't even matter. Otherwise, why bother? Most normal Pokemon are good enough in every other instance, and it actually gives a notion of challenge to raise a team from the ground-up.

For the hell of it, here's what my final team turned out as in SoulSilver:

Meganium (starter)
Ampharos
Mamoswine
Noctowl
Octillery
Umbreon

That team, while a tad weak (ugh Noctowl; it'd be sooooo much more useful if it was Psychic/Flying and not Normal/Flying) was more than good enough to breeze through everything but the Battle Frontier. I could've used legendaries; I caught both Raikou and Entei pretty early-on, and Lugia would've been far more useful against the Elite 4 than (at the time) Piloswine, but I still beat the game fairly easily.

talonmalon333

My thing is that I don't like grinding, and I find the legendary birds fun to use. Well, mostly Articuno. I know they intended him to be the weakest of the three, but it really didn't work out that way. He starts with Ice Beam which is one of the absolute best attacks in the entire game. He can also be taught some water attacks. Zapdos starts with Thundershock, and Moltres starts with Fire Spin. Clearly more than one of these birds got the short end of the stick.

Moltres also learns Leer when the other two learn Blizzard and Thunder. Wasn't this guy supposed to be the real strongest of the three?

The only other Pokemon games I played was the second generation. Didn't ever get any of the legendary dogs because it was impossible.

LumRanmaYasha

I don't like using legendaries. I've always liked raising my team from the ground up rather than relying on over-strong/over leveled pokemon. Legendaries are kinda overrated anyway. A lot of normal pokemon are way more useful in battles, honestly. It also helps that I replay my older games with Nuzlocke runs most of the time these days, so I don't really even get a chance to capture them most of the time anyway.  :P

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 11, 2014, 12:32:23 PM
Moltres also learns Leer when the other two learn Blizzard and Thunder. Wasn't this guy supposed to be the real strongest of the three?

They are all the same level when you catch them, so I don't think they intended one to be stronger than the others in the first place. Just because Moltres and Articuno are named the way they are in the U.S. doesn't mean anything concerning their strength, especially since their original names were Fire, Thunder, and Freezer. It did always strike me as odd at how poor Moltres' moveset was, though. They should have done a better job with that.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Cartoon X on March 11, 2014, 01:14:23 PM
They are all the same level when you catch them, so I don't think they intended one to be stronger than the others in the first place. Just because Moltres and Articuno are named the way they are in the U.S. doesn't mean anything concerning their strength, especially since their original names were Fire, Thunder, and Freezer. It did always strike me as odd at how poor Moltres' moveset was, though. They should have done a better job with that.

I didn't say anything about their names. It's just that I heard that, statistically, Zapdos is stronger than Articuno, and Moltres is stronger than Zapdos, so I figured that's the order they were intended to be in terms of strength. It's also the order that you can find them in, if I remember correctly. But I think it just came out in a way that Articuno was the best of the three, possibly because ice is such a useful energy type.

Moltres should have started with Flamethrower instead of Fire Spin, and should have learned Fire Blast after leveling up instead of Leer.

VLordGTZ

Moltres, Zapdos, and Articuno all have the exact same base stat total of 580, so I think they are intended to be equal in terms of overall strength.

I used to use legendary pokemon a lot on my teams, but then I stopped because I found it to be way to easy to beat trainers with them.  Nowadays, the only time I use a legendary pokemon in a battle is when I fight the final boss of Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness since his team is crazy overpowered IMO.

EDIT: Correction.  In Gen I, Motres did in fact have have the highest stat total of the Bird trio (followed by Zapdos and then Articuno). After the special attack and defense split in Gen II, their stat totals all became the same.

talonmalon333

Quote from: VLordGTZ on March 11, 2014, 01:36:19 PM
EDIT: Correction.  In Gen I, Motres did in fact have have the highest stat total of the Bird trio (followed by Zapdos and then Articuno). After the special attack and defense split in Gen II, their stat totals all became the same.

That's what I was thinking of, then. Plus, you don't get Moltres until Victory Road. I feel pretty sure that he was meant to be the best of the three, but he just sort of came out as being the worst.

And you really don't get the legendary birds until you start nearing the end of the game. Once you reach the Elite Four, those trainers are able to equal the strength of the birds. Plus, like I said, sometimes I found it boring grinding and leveling up six Pokemon. They make it hard to focus on strategy before grinding because then your Pokemon will end up in the 30s at the Elite Four, and they'll just get swallowed up.