What Do You Like/Dislike About Super Hero/Action Cartoons

Started by Avaitor, March 16, 2011, 12:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I like it myself, although it has some of the problems that Avengers: EMH had during the earliest parts of its run, like weak dialogue and lame storytelling conveniences. It also has some poor characteristic choices, by making Hal extremely bland (you'll have to blame DC on that one, and not just the writers, though) and dumbing down Kilowog. Yet, it makes up for that with some solid action and very good introductions to the Green Lantern mythology for beginners, as well as some of the DCU in general, like the Thanagarians.

I think next week or the week after the show will go back to episode 1, so if you wanna start watching it, that'll be a good time to catch up.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That sounds good. I'll definitely be checking it starts re-airing the season's episodes.

Spark Of Spirit

It's pretty easy to list likes for me, as long as they keep the core personality of the character it's pretty hard to disappoint me unless the story is awful.

Dislikes:

Character tampering: I don't mean stuff like "He didn't have superbreath until the 141st issue!", I mean that "In the comics, he would never make a deal with character X because he of an issue he had when he was a kid causing him to mistrust people in suits". Changing core character traits is annoying to me, because chances are 9 times out of 10 there is another character they could be using instead of the one they're tampering with. For instance, BTAS and Tim Drake. I know, they couldn't use the "name" Jason Todd because of the implication, but the character was still Jason Todd and even had a similar tragedy. I would rather they'd have given him a brand new name.

Too many cooks: Too many story-lines (X-Men 90s), too many characters (Young Justice), too many ideas (early Avengers: EMH), and just plain too much going on. Start small and gradually expand. Overwhelming the audience usually leads to little more than them losing interest. Entertainment is not meant to be a chore.

Ho-hum: Doing something that was already done way better before. See: The Batman or Ultimate Spider-Man. I already saw the best Batman and Spider-Man adaptions, convince me as to why I should watch yours. The answer to this is easy; Batman: The Brave & The Bold. Show us a side of the character we didn't see in the previous show which not only gives us a different look into the world, but also the characters as well.

Other than those three issues, I don't really have any hard rules other than "be not terrible".
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Here's my 5 favorite superhero cartoons:

4. Legion Of Superheroes- Listen closely, fellas. This is a tale about perhaps the most underrated and overlooked cartoon of the last 10 years. Superman. Brainiac 5. Lightning Lad. Superman X. Timberwolf. LOS has plenty of great characters, all great for different reasons and the ones I named have multiple episodes dedicated to them that emphasises that. You could not ask for more from a team based series. I had a 6 way tie between who was my favorite character in the show for awhile (Phantom Girl was the other, I'm on the fence about her being a favorite at all right now though) I've never had that happen before. Before that, the most was 2 at a time. Also, I'm sure there's some Bouncing Boy fans out there.

From what I've seen, the first season is apparently episodic, the second is about Superman X's mission (there's a lot to that) with a step forward in time where you get to see slightly older versions of the returning characters. I've seen about half of the 26 episodes. The show takes you a lot of places - never the same thing twice. Legion Of Superheroes has good humor, really makes you care about multiple characters and not just "the big names that suck up the spotlight" (you'll likely be rooting for Karate Kid from his first episode), good action and the storylines will keep your interests.

Cons, you say?.... ..... The only reason why this show is so low on my list is because I've only seen roughly half of it. I mostly watched season 1 in order before either the library that had the DVDs didn't have anymore or I moved away from said library. I watched bits and pieces of season 2 with sometimes seeing a few episodes in order and new. (last Saturday morning cartoon I followed) Yes, I'm going somewhere here. What could be a con is the show may be too short but I haven't seen enough to say that it is. I've seen episode 25 and missed the series finale due to some religion show replacing its time slot for some unknown reason (not kidding) From what I hear, the last episode wraps up to character arcs nicely and it actually does seem like a fitting end to the series. Apparently nothing was left unresolved, it seems to be just a chance of what could the sequel season be like and add to the show's overall value in a way of more episodes equaling more of a good thing.

If I watch finish this series and in order, I might be inclined to move it up.

3. Batman Beyond- Let's be real, this show is "What if Spider-Man was Batman?" I even think their fighting styles are similar. Anyway, that has a lot to do with why I like this show. A great difference I thought about between the two is Terry actually has a mentor. Everything else I can say has been said by everyone else so there's my unique take.

2. Justice League/Unlimited- Added Unlimited because it helps the show's overall appeal to me. Namely from following the Cadmus arc. I love the adventures from the JL portion, which also adds to my like of the series. My knocks on this series are obvious: The first few episodes are painful to watch. If I have to watch John Stewart's trial one more time, I'm shooting somebody. JLU have too few episodes with the core 7 is the other. That's all that need to be said here...Uh, except this. Wonder Woman bores me (at least her Justice League version) Hawkgirl is one of my favorite superheroines ever, if not THE favorite. Also, Martian Manhunter can irritate me. How long it took for him to stop being manipulated by Morgana in that one episode was way too fucking. I remember it looked like he was coming back to his senses only for him to go back to attacking Leaguers multiple times. So painful to watch. I actually did used to like him a lot, only due to how cool his powers are though.

1. Batman The Animated Series-  As a kid, I gave this show little respect. To me, the Batman cartoon was "the 'toon that wasn't Superman" When they had a block that showed either a Superman or Batman cartoon. I used to wait to see if the opening screen was brightly lit or not to see if it was a Superman cartoon. I used to get real disappointed when night time came on screen. Then just a few years ago I started to appreciate the show on Boomerang. I was like " :o This is amazing!" I fell in love with the show. I'm not sure what of that when my favorite episodes, the Two-Face two parter helped towards that love, but it did. After watching more than enough on Boomerang, I got volumes from the library (and again years later) I still haven't got around to finishing the series though. I'm sure I'm close though. I believe I've seen at the very least 30 episodes in a row. Besides the occasional bad episode, my only con is that some of the villains become just bank robbers or whatever after their great debut episode.

Yes, I know how to count. There was only 4 because I haven't seen enough of any of the other series that could qualify to go in depth on them. Those series being X-Men, TBATB, Wolverine And The X-Men and Superman TAS (well this one being because I haven't seen it in awhile. Funny enough, when this came on Boomerang, I ignored it and just focused on watch Batman) :light:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody