Is it time for Adult Swim to change?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 19, 2011, 11:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxdiv

I'm hoping that after some time has passed that Adult Swim uses the shows that were meant to air on Cartoon Network proper as the 7PM-8PM buffer between the content of the 2 different networks. If they were considered "safe" enough to air on CN proper, why not use them as a buffer between the 2.

Daikun

Avaitor

I'm seeing people compare this to when The N and Noggin were the same channel, and it really does feel like it. At this point, just go separate.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

I've seen a couple of people saying that on Twitter as well. Really does feel like CN is shrinking in size. Really, just rebrand another channel already.

Avaitor

But at the same time, it is true- kids today really don't watch as much TV as they did when we were their age. YouTube is a bigger competitor to the networks and even streaming for children than anything else.

I have no interest in parenthood, but I can't imagine that I'd be comfortable with having my hypothetical children browse YouTube instead of a service curated for them like one of the cable channels or a filtered streamer.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Though given how much free kids' TV there is on Tubi, YouTube, or the uncharted shores, I assume a parent would rather make their own playlist for their kids instead of upgrade their cable tier to get CN. Or stick them in front of PBS instead.

Daikun

Daxdiv

I guess that's one way to bridge the hours between the two.

Avaitor

Between this and Boomerang adding more of Warner's non Looney/Tom and Jerry/Scooby library back onto the schedule, I think that they've accepted that kids aren't going to return to cable, especially if they never really grew up with it, and instead the channels are going to focus on older demos. Which works for me.

New blog!

Daikun

I guess Checkered Past is running TWO hours. AS will be starting at 5PM instead of 6.

https://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/1682571654617001986

Daikun

AS could be losing Bob's Burgers next month.

EDIT: Never mind. TBS is only losing it.

Avaitor

Makes sense, I believe they lost Family Guy in September the other year. I hope they have more planned than just KOTH and American Dad repeats.

New blog!

TheDisneyPlayhouse

I know Dexter's Laboratory was considered one of Cartoon Network's biggest shows, but it feels surprising to see it air regularly outside of Boomerang. I was going to say it hadn't aired since the City era regularly (According to Cartoon Network/Adult Swim Archives, which archives Cartoon Network and Adult Swim archives through several official sources, it last aired regularly on January 13th, 2006, a few days before it started airing on Boomerang), but then I remembered that it did air regularly for a brief time around the end of 2010/beginning of 2011 (According to the archives, it was from November 8, 2010 to March 4, 2011). It's even more surprising that Dexter's Lab is airing in a weekday timeslot regularly that isn't when kids are in school. The last time they aired it in a weekday timeslot that wasn't that was on April 16, 2004 (Though it still aired on the weekends for a little while afterwards)

I'm also surprised Kids Next Door isn't part of the initial Checkered Past lineup. It felt like there was a time in the early 2010s where if Cartoon Network decided to air one of their older shows, Kids Next Door was one of the most likely picks (In fact, from January 2010 when it returned to the regular lineup to May 2011, it consistently stayed on the lineup). I'm kind of surprised it's on Boomerang for the time being and Dexter is on Checkered Past

Daxdiv

After checking out Checkered Past for the 1st week, I do like how much care has been put into this block. The bumpers are pretty nice & I like the variety of them. Along with how the show are currently not on an auto-pilot mode like the rest of the adult swim line-up , like they actually curated & picked the best episodes to air during the block, rather than just going by some order like the Fox shows do and how much they jumped around for the shows like Billy & Mandy (like how they aired the episode where Mandy entered a beauty pageant or the episode that gave us Fred Fredburger) and Eds (Where they gave us a season 1 episode one day, then a later season the next day.)

Daikun

Quote from: Daikun on August 25, 2023, 08:13:58 PMAS could be losing Bob's Burgers next month.

So, it's not actually happening (TBS is just losing it instead), but an interesting development just came up: For the first time in years, AS will be airing more recent seasons of BB.

So, I guess we're NOT losing this show?