My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 28, 2011, 11:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

I'm going to wait to hear something official before I write it off as canceled. I mean, if the toys are selling (which I understand they are) Hasbro's going to want to keep the show going.

It would be a shame to end the show so soon.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I'd like to remain hopeful too. I guess we'll have to wait and see after season 2 is completed.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Mr. Big

It'd be a shame to see the show end after a short time. Second season's been fantastic. The time travel episode is probably the funniest the show has done. Even though the focus was on Twilight, Pinkie and Spike really stole the show.

Kiddington

That's a shame if it's true, though admittedly I haven't been keeping up with the series for a while now (though not due to any decline in quality; just kinda thought I needed a break). I should get back into watching it soon; sounds like I've been missing a lot these past couple of months.

Rynnec

After a string of pretty good episodes, this weeks was probably the weakest one of the season by far. There's really nothing noteworthy about the episode at all.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, it wasn't as strong as the last few, but at least it had more of an adventure focus than some of the recent ones.

And I can't dislike any episode with Rarity in it.  :D
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Mr. Big

"Dragon Quest" probably the most mixed-review episode so far. Alot of people ranks it as one of the best, while others rank it as the worst. There's absolutely no middle-ground here. I fall into the "love it" camp. It's not the best episode in the world, but it's in my "high" list.

Fluttershy cold open
Rarity's suit at the ditch
Spike's cute little apron
Twi, Rarity, and Rainbow's strained smile when waving goodbye, as well as them saying "We're going to follow him, right?" "Of course"
The montage of Spike's journey, complete with Cranky Doodle's cameo.
Their disguise, and the fact that it ctually works because it resembled another dragon
Phoenixes
Spike being glued to one of the photos in the end.
I love how Tabitha delivered Rarity's "I'LL RIP YOU TO PIECES IF YOU TOUCH ONE SCALE OF HIS CUTE LITTLE HEAD!"

I'll never understand the complaints about how the dragons were represented, though. I'll just never get that.

Although I do see the overall story as a metaphor for boys liking girly things, and how that's okay. Hmmm, sound familiar?  ;D

Mr. Big

I think we can agree that this week's was great.

How would you rank season 2 so far? Here's mine:

It's About Time
Hurricane Fluttershy
Hearts and Hooves Day
Putting Your Hoof Down
Sisterhooves Social
Family Appreciation Day
Lesson Zero
Secret of My Excess
Baby Cakes
Dragon Quest
A Friend in Deed
Luna Eclipsed
The Last Roundup
The Return of Harmony
The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000
Hearth's Warming Eve
Sweet and Elite
May the Best Pet Win!
Read it and Weep
The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well
The Cutie Pox

Spark Of Spirit

Sure, why not? I like randomly ranking things.

Putting Your Hoof Down
The Last Roundup
A Friend in Deed
Hurricane Fluttershy
The Return of Harmony
It's About Time
Baby Cakes
Sisterhooves Social
Hearts and Hooves Day
Lesson Zero
Family Appreciation Day
Secret of My Excess
Luna Eclipsed
Hearth's Warming Eve
Dragon Quest
The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000
Sweet and Elite
Read it and Weep
The Cutie Pox
May the Best Pet Win!
The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well

I don't think Rainbow Dash-centric episodes fared as well this season as last. I think mainly because they all had the same concept. Fluttershy's were better since they all played on her traits, Pinkie Pie's were less focused on taking her out of her element and just being challenges for her,  Applejack's were good because they usually had a lot of the other characters, and Rarity's were usually only lacking because they lacked other characters for the most part (her stuff was good), while CMC stuff was mixed as usual. Twilight's were standard fare outside of the Time and Lesson Zero episodes because Twlight is only really fun to see when she has no idea what's going on.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Mr. Big on March 24, 2012, 09:43:49 PM
I think we can agree that this week's was great.

Hell yes we can.  ;D That had to be one of my favorites of the series, let alone the season.

Had funny visual gags (constant Derpy, roid rage pony, creepy pony masks), little nods to the fandom (Fluttershy disguised as a tree, anyone?), Angel not being a jerk, great emotional moments, Dash being incredibly likable, an appearance by Spitfire (one of my favorite side characters), and a pretty good lesson. It avoided them actually breaking the record, and Fluttershy's improvement was believable.

I also enjoyed the designs of the background characters, specifically those twin pegasi, and I liked that we had different supporting characters here than in the last Fluttershy episode (Twilight and RD instead of PP and Rarity. Mixing it up like this is nice).

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, it was Escape From New York! I knew her weird outfit in that episode was from something.

Eddy

Season two has really been hitting it out of the park. This weeks episode has become one of my favorites.

Mr. Big

Damn, they're promoting the hell out of the season finale.

So will FIM eventually become the Hub's SpongeBob?

Kiddington

Quote from: Mr. Big on March 27, 2012, 02:18:32 PM
Damn, they're promoting the hell out of the season finale.

So will FIM eventually become the Hub's SpongeBob?

Not if they stop after Season 3, it won't.

They could milk this thing to no end if they really wanted to, though; the show is popular enough that the online presence alone could keep it going years down the line. I'm still not sure why they'd want to end it so early considering that (if those rumors actually do turn out to be true), unless they really care that much more about quality over a steady paycheck, something that the Spongebob crew obviously doesn't.

Guess we'll see.