My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 28, 2011, 11:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 29, 2013, 10:45:21 PM
Yeah, the fan sites are really having it out. All I had to do was one simple search and got a ton of meltdowns.

Same.

There's also Twitter as well...  :humhumhum:

Spark Of Spirit

There's also tumblaaaar and Facebook as well. I don't need to throw a stone there to hit an overreaction at anything.

Stay tuned for AR's scathing editorial on how writers should never develop a character arc that extends from episode one to the series (at the time it was written, I assume) finale.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Il Juude

Thankfully I've gone through the Kubler-Ross stages of grief regarding this, and while uncertain about it, I have to accept that it will happen and watch to see how it all comes out.

Also Avaitor, add Brentalfloss's demise to my peculiarities.  Although given this comic, it's probably well justified -

Dr. Insomniac

Still not as peculiar as the cumstains on Avaitor's copy of Self Magazine.

Avaitor

I don't even know what Self Magazine is.

That copy of Decibel with Ghost on the cover, though. Damynnn.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Il Juude

One more week until the world is destroyed and the screams of a million bronies cripples the ears and minds of all within earshot of them.   :sly:

Okay episode btw.  Copy-pastey from that other site:

"Man they're really ran Dave Polsky ragged. Too Many Pinkie Pies, Spike at your Service, Keep Calm and Flutter On, and now Games Ponies Play. From this ep I think he's quite winded out already.

But this said, this was okay all things considered. For an episode that was inspired by one from Fawlty Towers I was expecting a TAD bit more anarchy and chaos. But most of the time it was a bit too restrained and the cues too obvious for their own good. I know this is for kids but maybe a bit of nuance would've worked wonders. But in terms of a "We got to try and impress these people" plot line, this was better than the much more boring "Apple Family Reunion", which was more concerned about setpiece than characters, which this had in spades with Rainbow Dash doing her hardest to impress the 'inspector'.

There were some nice moments like Rarity's facial reactions, Dash's eagerness, Pinkie's "Nooooo!" moments, and some clever ones at how the ending panned out (c'mon it was expected, but it worked well that she would meet up with the mistaken inspector) linked together this and "Just For Sidekicks", especially what Twilight learned in this episode as well as the quick scenes. Like nakak, this would've really segued much better if it aired beforehand than that one, but overall it was alright. Nothing TOO great, but nothing TOO bad.

One more episode and everything either hurts or doesn't."

Mr. Big

I think I prefer Spike's side of the story than this one, but I'm giving the FiM team thumbs up for doing the "two different episodes taking place in same day" format. The only other cartoons I can think of that did this are South Park (the Meteor Shower trilogy) and Chowder (Wrong Address/Customer).

The storyline was very obvious, though. Hell, a 1960s Deputy Dawg cartoon told the same story, and in only four minutes (vs. Pony's 22 minutes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmFA9xnH_eU

I'm surprised that Dave Polsky had the most screen credit this season; he also wrote "Too Many Pinkie Pies" and "Keep Calm and Flutter On", plus the story for "Spike at Your Service". I guess he has to catch up; he was missing for the entirety of season 2.

EDIT: Oh, and while we're at it, somebody edited the two episodes into one:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GESefH3Smis

Spark Of Spirit

Fan Project-wise I've only ever really gotten into Turnabout Storm.

Phoenix Wright x FiM is a combination that works surprisingly well and brings out a lot of the strengths of each series.

But otherwise, I don't really go into any of the fanmade stuff.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Lord Dalek

So basically next season of FiM is going to be the equivalent of B5 Season 5 pretty much.

Goldstar

Yesterday's episode "Magical Mystery Cure" seemed more like series finale than a season finale to me. This was also significant in that it was the first season finale in FiM that wasn't a two-parter.

I'm wondering where Twilight Sparkle is going to live now. It's highly unlikely that she'll continue living in a library within a hollow tree now that she's a royal.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Foggle

Quote from: Lord Dalek on February 17, 2013, 07:16:19 AM
So basically next season of FiM is going to be the equivalent of B5 Season 5 pretty much.
Then they'll cancel it and 9 years later they'll release a DVD entitled My Little Pony (Lost) Tales?

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Foggle on February 17, 2013, 11:54:46 AM
Quote from: Lord Dalek on February 17, 2013, 07:16:19 AM
Then they'll cancel it and 9 years later they'll release a DVD entitled My Little Pony (Lost) Tales?
Not until.we get a spinoff with Harvey Birdman.

Il Juude

I don't even know what to think anymore.  On its own, the finale is not too bad, but taken within the context of the series (which has precedence in how it could cap off seasons or fairly epic tales) it's sadly very mediocre and at worst, heavy-handed and didactic.  Other episodes I would feel as if the songs were allowing me to have fun and enjoy myself, here I felt like I was being talked down to and bludgeoned with the obvious.  Everything in this episode felt very manufactured (yes yes strange it's a toy commercial and all), compared to the others which felt more organic so to speak.

Plus it raises a lot of questions that don't need to be asked but probably will anyway.

Mr. Big

Quote from: Goldstar on February 17, 2013, 08:51:50 AM
This was also significant in that it was the first season finale in FiM that wasn't a two-parter.
Season 1 didn't end with a two-parter (The Best Night Ever)

Anyway, yeah, that episode did have that "last episode" feel to it. I wouldn't be surprised if they wrote it so that it can work as a final episode just in case it wasn't picked up for season 4.

Really, I think the show's massive popularity kept it from being cancelled after 65 episodes.

Il Juude

At least that one had build-up, it had like two episodes to get us warmed up and then it got us going for it.  This one?   Not so much.

For something that would have been written as a final episode, they really sorta mucked that one up.  I think the 13 episode shift caused them to stumble extensively.  They built up a lot of momentum in those first few episodes then after "Sleepless in Ponyville" they tumbled and never got back up.