My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 28, 2011, 11:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Katie Holt

In case ya missed it, Stephen Colbert gave a shoutout to bronies the other night. Freakin' awesome!
twitter.com/autistic_pidge

tweet me if you wish

now back after a long absence with a different display name. yeah

Foggle

One of my favorite posters at the Excel Saga Forum made something pretty cool relating to this series. Everyone should check it out!

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Quote from: beau on August 03, 2011, 12:24:42 AM
In case ya missed it, Stephen Colbert gave a shoutout to bronies the other night. Freakin' awesome!
Oh yes... that he did, that he did.

Freakin' awesome indeed.

Dr. Insomniac

Tried to get the cousin into My Little Pony. Explained to him the concept of the cutie mark by saying "uh, the little ponies have to find out their life choice and get a magical tattoo on their ass". For some reason, I decide the best introduction is one of Dikekike's YTPs. And he proceeds to play League of Legends instead for the next 3 hours.

Yeah, I suck at converting.

Daxdiv

Don't feel so bad, apparently, my brother thinks I'm diseased for even remotely liking this series. So my chances to get him into this show was shot down :whuh:

Eddy

Sometimes it can take awhile to fully "convert" someone. The problem is that you don't want to force them to watch it because then they're more likely to dislike it, so you want to try to get them to watch it at their own pace. After I "converted" my brother he said that FiM is "a damn good show that everyone should give a chance and they should watch a few episodes before fully passing judgment on it".

Most people seem to think that "The Ticket Master" and "Dragonshy" are good starter episodes. "The Ticket Master" may have a cliche set up, but the journey has got some great writing and each of the main characters really gets to shine. Dragonshy maybe a Fluttershy focused episode, but the rest of the cast gets a decent amount of screentime as well. I've also heard "Bridle Gossip" and "Party of One" are good ideas, but I think "Bridle Gossip" only really works after you already know the characters to see why the poison joke effects are funny for each pony.

The two-part pilot is usually frowned upon as a starter since the "Sailor Moon-vibe" doesn't really carry on for the rest of the series. Cutie Mark Crusader episodes like "Call of the Cutie", "Show Stoppers", etc. are regarded as the absolute worst episodes to start someone off with. Episodes with a more "girly" set-up are also not recommended like "Suited for Success" dealing with a fashion show.

Of course, "Suited for Success" was my first episode and it was enough to get me to watch more (and it's also one of my favorites) so take that as you will.

Kiddington

Yeah... if you're going to try and get somebody into FiM, don't ever start them off on the pilot episode; steer as far clear of that as possible. It's not indicative of what the show has to offer at all, and is really quite boring, all things considered. In fact, I might go as far as to say it's a good way to turn people off from ever wanting to give it another chance; it's not "terrible", by any means, but it definitely is more "girly" (and less funny) than any other episode of the series, by far.

If I were trying to get people into this (unfortunately, a losing battle with my family, so I don't even attempt it), I'd start off with the funniest of what the show has to offer. "Feeling Pinkie Keen", "Over a Barrel", "A Dog and Pony Show", "Stare Master"... those are just a couple of my favorites I'd recommend, each for their own reasons.

Mr. Big

Quote from: Kiddington on August 06, 2011, 02:40:18 PMIf I were trying to get people into this (unfortunately, a losing battle with my family, so I don't even attempt it), I'd start off with the funniest of what the show has to offer. "Feeling Pinkie Keen", "Over a Barrel", "A Dog and Pony Show", "Stare Master"... those are just a couple of my favorites I'd recommend, each for their own reasons.
"Stare Master", maybe I'd wait until after watching other episodes. But the same can be said for all the other CMC episodes.

I agree with the other choices, tho...

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 05, 2011, 08:14:19 PM
Tried to get the cousin into My Little Pony. Explained to him the concept of the cutie mark by saying "uh, the little ponies have to find out their life choice and get a magical tattoo on their ass".
Just show him this. Should work.

QuoteAnd he proceeds to play League of Legends instead for the next 3 hours.
League of Legends' grip is powerful. It destroys both lives and friendships. But at least it has a better fanbase than DotA.

Mr. Big

Eddy

Lauren Faust was obviously a very important part of this show, but people sometimes don't realize some of the great team members they also have on the show and their past works.

They've got writers like Amy Keating Rogers (Powerpuff Girls), David Polsky (South Park), and many others. They have some very talented animators and storyboard artists, including those who have worked on Ed, Edd n Eddy like "Big Jim" Miller (no wonder this show has so many great facial expressions).

I guess my point is that people shouldn't be too worried over Faust being gone in season two and beyond. I have confidence in the team behind this show.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm not really worried about season 2 at all. Season 3, well I won't be expecting it to be great out of the gate, but I'm sure it won't be terrible or anything.

Unless it gets arbitrarily canceled like so many other shows in this day and age after 65 episodes despite fantastic ratings and critical praise.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Season 2 was already in pre-production when Lauren was still onboard. That should be fine.

Season 3... well, that I'm a bit more worried about (assuming we even get to that point). Especially if they hand the keys to the city to Chris Savino.  :whuh: