My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 28, 2011, 11:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

As characters, I don't really mind them, but I don't care much for their episode's either. Granted, their episodes have improved this season, and I hope Scootaloo gets an episode to herself.

Eddy

They've greatly improved them this season. I know it's an absurd comparison, but the CMC remind me of the kids from South Park. The best episodes of South Park, to me, have always been the ones where it's just the kids being kids. I feel the same away about the CMC. I like to see them just, you know, being kids. Much better than being stuck in Cutie Mark mode.

(BTW, Mr. Big, I don't know if I told you but I'm DarkMatter from Ponygoons! Assuming you're the same Mr. Big. ;))

Mr. Big

Quote from: Eddy on March 30, 2012, 08:05:43 PM(BTW, Mr. Big, I don't know if I told you but I'm DarkMatter from Ponygoons! Assuming you're the same Mr. Big. ;))
Yeah, it's me. Nice to see another Ponygoon here!

Yeah, I like how the CMCs act like real kids.

Nel_Annette

I've probably said it a million times on TZ, but I'll say it here. Why the hell not? I think they're the best written "annoying kid characters" in animation right now. They have pretty funny banter between themselves, and Sweetie Belle was a riot in the Hearts and Hooves episode. However, they're not who I'm watching the show for. I watch it for the Mane Six, and while having a CMC episode once in a while is okay, I hate how many episodes they take up per season. And I pretty much group the three of them as a whole, so in my book, an Apple Bloom episode or a Sweetie Belle episode still registers as CMC in my brain. That's unfair, I guess, but it's pretty much registering as "not a Mane 6 episode" to me. To further that, Spike episodes set off the same signal, and I lose interest in those too.

Granted, I don't mind it if the members of the Mane Six get involved. At least I'm still getting what I like, then. So as stupid as this sounds, I enjoy them, but begrudgingly so. It's like getting a taco when you wanted pizza. Sure, it's still quality, but I wanted pizza.

And if any of that can not be related to at all, I don't blame you.  :sweat:

Mr. Big

Heh, tomorrow's "FoxTrot" did a FIM joke.

Avaitor

hahaha, oh wow.

And I don't really hate the Cutie Mark Crusaders, but I'm usually not so hot on their actual episodes. I prefer it when they stick to the sidelines than hold their own stories, because theirs tend to get extraordinarily predictable.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Mr. Big

First off, looks like we're going beyond 65 episodes. They hired a new writer named Natasha Levinger on the show. Here's her imdb profile. It seems that she has no animation experience prior to FIM. That can be good or bad; I mean, everyone has to start somewhere.

Anyway, I enjoyed this week's episode, personally. I found it funny that Rarity instantly began hating the gossip when she was the target. She does have a hypocritical streak for these things. And wow, you know you goofed up big time when Big Macintosh chews you out. I was expecting the ending to have the paper print an embarrassing story about Diamond Tiara instead. I was surprised that it wasn't even brought up.

Spark Of Spirit

I don't mind the CMC, but yeah I'm not the biggest fan of their episodes either. Still, the most recent one was probably one of the best ones. There were a lot of good character moments and jokes.

Though good news on the new writers. That might mean that season 3 might not actually be only 13 episodes but the full 26 if it is still going.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

They really need to release a couple of soundtracks for this show already.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

I'm really missing Fluttershy this season. Her assertive episode was my favorite so far, but she's been given the shaft otherwise this time.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, the balance of episodes hasn't been all that generous. Like Rarity had a few of her own episodes but wasn't in a lot of others where she wasn't the main character, Pinkie was really underused this season (last season she had a moment in like EVERY episode), and Fluttershy seems resigned to minor role in almost every episode. Which is why that episode was my favorite since I think they're the best characters on the show.

I really liked season 2 so far, but it hasn't been all that balanced for every character to star in episodes.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I think Pinkie's been given a lot of screentime though. Maybe not as much as last season, but moreso than Fluttershy or RD and Rarity lately.

I do like that they don't find a lame way to shoehorn every character in, like The Simpsons does now, but yeah, it isn't really all that balanced in terms of appearances.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Pinkie wasn't really in much of the first half of the season, and when she was she didn't really have many moments. But yeah, she did have more than Fluttershy.

I did find it kind of annoying they found a way to shoehorn "Derpy" into an episode, but sometimes have episodes missing half the cast. Not to say every episode needs every character, but it does suck when I watch an episode wanting to see how a certain character will react to a situation only to not have them appear at all in it.

Avaitor

They put Derpy in every episode to appease the bronies. It's easier to add her into an episode because she doesn't need to speak to appear.

I do like that Cheerilee and Big Mac are getting more appearances and lines however. The Valentines episode was a hoot.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Oh yeah, I have no problem with expanding the secondary characters (Big Mac in the most recent episode was hilarious), but I would like to see more of the main group interacting. There's only been a few episodes with all six this season.

But hey, I guess that could change by season's end. It's not over yet.