Favourite Cartoon Cartoons

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 27, 2010, 06:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on December 29, 2010, 06:21:50 PM
I know a few adults and older teens who liked Cartoon Cartoons myself.

Yes, that's the key word. I also knew a "few" adults who liked CC's, all of whom were adults that understood the appeal of such cartoons in the first place.

QuoteI think the Cartoon Cartoons had appeal beyond kids or even nostalgia.

You're missing my point, though. I also acknowledged that they can appeal to adults and go beyond just nostalgia. My point though was that only adults who were into cartoons during that generation or people who grew up with cartoons of that generation really get their appeal. It doesn't necessarily appeal to all of the other masses in the same way that stuff like Spongebob or The Simpsons do, though, especially adults who aren't usually accepting of cartoons.

Avaitor

I think it varies on the person. My mom watched The Simpsons at it's peak when I was too young to and still watches repeats of it and KOTH with me now. She saw Coraline with me in theaters and enjoyed it, even commenting that she didn't think it was for kids. I also got her to watch Wall*E and Mask of the Phantasm with me at home. Same with my uncle, who loves Simpsons and goes to various Disney/Pixar and Dreamworks movies with me. He even bought the first Ren & Stimpy set.

I have members in my family who don't get my love of animation at all. I've been able to convince my mom that animation is a very active art form, and that the Looney Tunes and Disney films are especially important works, but some people will never be able to be convinced of this. And that's okay, it's their loss.

The point is that I hope everyone here can think differently then that, and that's why we're here/
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, it really depends on the views of the specific person. Some people I know just don't understand that cartoons have essentially been able to appeal to adults since the beginning of animation (in fact a lot of original cartoons were specifically designed to appeal to adults, including a lot of the earliest Looney Tunes shorts, as well as a lot of silent stuff even predating that), and that's fine because since they didn't grow up with cartoons as a heavy influence, its understandable that they just, well....don't understand that its more than just for kids.

I think that certain shows such as the Simpsons have managed to break that barrier for many people, but there are still some people who remain unconvinced, and personally I'm fine enough with that, as long as they don't look down on others who do get enjoyment out of cartoons and animated works in general.

Avaitor

Watching the Sheep in the Big City pilot now. It's been a while since I've seen this, maybe since it originally aired back in 2000. I don't think it aired regularly with the show when they did show it.

From what I've seen of the show recently, it fits in alright with the rest of the series. Sheep's trademark fourth-wall breaking and pun-defying humor stayed in tact, but the three-act elements and television spoofs aren't here. That said, it's a mighty funny pilot, and I can see why it got picked up.

Holy shit, did I see Ruth Buzzi in the voice credits? Class.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Wow, this is a massive bump.

But I watched an episode of Time Squad for the first time in years, possibly a decade. I liked the show ,but it was never a favorite or really stuck to me. And after watching it again... that's pretty much how I still feel about it. It's still kinda funny, but nothing special. I don't think it was anyone's favorite, in fact.

Have any of you guys seen the show lately?

New blog!

Kiddington

How are you watching it? Just on Youtube, or what?

...and no, I haven't seen it in probably a good 10 years or so myself. Same goes for Sheep, Robot Jones,, and a lot of the other short-lived stuff from that era (except Mike Lu and Og, which for some inexplicable reason airs on Boomerang at least once a year; I HAVE caught that fairly recently).

Avaitor

They put up an episode on CN's Video site, probably since it's time for Halloween and this one had Poe in it.

New blog!

Kiddington

Huh.

That's weird that CN is actually acknowledging this show, considering they haven't touched it in at least 10 years. Do they do this every year? And what about Sheep and the like; anything from those up either?

Avaitor

Quote from: Kiddington on October 16, 2012, 07:05:30 PM
Huh.

That's weird that CN is actually acknowledging this show, considering they haven't touched it in at least 10 years. Do they do this every year? And what about Sheep and the like; anything from those up either?
Nope and nope.

Then again, I don't think Sheep had anything close to resembling a Halloween episode. They had to stretch for Time Squad too, but I guess they pulled it out this year for the network's 20th anniversary.

New blog!

Avaitor

I don't really keep up with the recent Cartoon Network-related comics, but this is happening.

This sounds pretty cool, actually. I got a free comic with "previews" of some of the comics they're making here, but those were really just reprints of Powerpuff, Samurai Jack and Ben 10 comic stories DC made instead. I'm partly interested in checking some of these out, though.

New blog!

Daxdiv

I love it when IDW does things like this. They probably are one of my favorite publishers out there with the way they handle their properties.

gunswordfist

Yeah, I heard about the Samurai Jack comics. sounds like IDW is doing a lot of good.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Oh my god, yes! This looks awesome. I haven't paid attention to Cartoon Network comics since I was a kid, but I'll definitely look out for this whenever it comes out.

Peanutbutter

Out of the current ones, I can safely say Steven Universe has become this for me.

Avaitor

Huh. Recently, Warner has been releasing cheapy singles for some of their cartoons, and they're doing some for a couple of CN originals, including of all choices, Chowder. Ben 10 and Powerpuff already have all of their episodes on DVD, but Chowder only had a couple of singles, yet I don't really get why they went with that.

It's too old for most kids to recognize and too young for parents to have a nostalgia attack over, not to mention how there's just about no reason for anyone in between to pick this up. Although I guess this is what to expect from Warner now, since their current belief is that anything animated can only appeal to children.

New blog!