Yu Yu Hakusho

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 06:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on December 15, 2020, 08:44:34 PM
Guess we're getting a live-action show...

Because we all know how great all of the other live-action anime adaptations have turned out so far....

Dr. Insomniac

Even the ones that are made entirely in Japan and have the full approval of the original creator like the Jojo and FMA live-action movies or the Death Note and Mob Psycho 100 live-action series felt wrong. I think the only one I've seen that didn't feel like an uncanny valley version of the anime was the Rurouni Kenshin movie.

Anyway, expecting some guy who played a Kamen Rider to be Yusuke, a guy way too old to play a teenager as Kuwabara, characters like Toguro and Sensui to show up 2 arcs earlier because the producer gets impatient, and a lot of bad CGI.

Avaitor

Also expect sexy adult Koenma to be the norm.

I mean, I'd rather we have this than another anime adaptation, since why mess with perfection? This could potentially either pick up some new fans of the manga and anime, or be completely forgotten and not impact the reception to either. There are worse things that could happen.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Don't forget a live-action Genkai who's in her 40s at most.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I wonder if they'll do that weird CG hybrid version of Toguro fron those live-action commercials from several years back.

Dr. Insomniac

The Toguro model they used looked hilarious. Assume it'll be more practical to use a regular actor who just happens to be buff, then CGI some muscles on him when he reaches higher percents, which will also look silly and probably require either green screen or a lot of camera magic to make him look tower over the actor playing Yusuke. Or maybe they could find the Japanese equivalent of the guy who played Gregor Clegane to do it.

Dr. Insomniac

Why does Kuwabara look like Sensui?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I was reminded that this is a real thing that's happening when articles on it started trending again a few days ago. I suppose it'd be an interesting show to watch drunk.

Dr. Insomniac

I can't tell if it looks less or more dumb than the live-action Jojo movie Miike made a few years ago.

Mustang

Going down this little rabbit hole. Debating if I want to start at episode 1 or jump right into Genkai's tournament. Kind of got this nostalgic feeling going on at the moment.

I still remember when this show hit me the first time viewing. I was going through some things that could've turned left and took me to a dark place real quick. I think I was about 18-20 around that time. Anger was at an all time high. Couldn't get a job no matter how many jobs I applied for. So there's depression in there as well, although, you'll probably never hear me actually say I was depressed back then. And then there's living in the hood in Detroit, MI. so whatever you've heard about the city back then I've probably seen or experienced it in some form of fashion (If I had a child back then, yeah, good thing I never owned a gun or got into smoking). So yeah, if it weren't for me coming across Yu Yu Hakusho (praise God for Toonami back then), Final Fantasy 8, Shenmue and Gungrave, yeah, I'll leave the rest of that to your imagination, but lets just say people were spared from my hands. Anyway, Yusuke was the first character I saw myself in any form of anime/cartoon/game and the episode that hit me the most was believe it or not (considering how much of an action junkie that I am and always will be), was the episode where Yusuke was jumping in to help Kurama save his mother. After that, Hiei was in the end how I sort of ended up like before I went off to college (I didn't go to college till I was 25, so I was probably about 23, and at this point I just so happened to join Toonzone and Animation Insider) and it really wrung hit home during the fight between Hiei and Mukoro. I won't go into FF8 and GG (I can on another day)

In any case, like I said, feeling nostalgic and gonna go down this rabbit hole and binge for a couple of days. Oh yeah, it was Yu Yu Hakusho and Gungrave that got me to pay attention to character development (hell, other than Rurouni Kenshin and G Gundam, it was straight DBZ for me back then and all I knew was fighting)
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Akuma
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Daikun

Dr. Insomniac

Toguro isn't roided out enough.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh God, I forgot this was still thing.

Maybe it'll be a fun hate-watch?

Dr. Insomniac

I'm more confused by how it seems like they're adapting multiple arcs at once, or why they're fighting Karasu and Bui at a bunch of Sentai/KR filming locations like the Toei docks or the Toei construction site.

Daxdiv

Considering how they abridged One Piece, them condensing things for a series like YYH is weird. I can understand skipping the first few chapters of the manga, the anime did the same thing, but it does feel like they're skipping things Genkai's tournament or the 4 Saint Beasts. Are they going straight into Toguro Brothers as the arc villain of season 1. Maybe they're afraid of getting cancelled after Season 1.

Well, if there's one positive I can say, I'm kinda glad that they decided to make Koenma take his adult form.