Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be more specific, the executive producers and people behind the international business of these movies don't care as long as they make money. I have a feeling that the creative people behind the DCEU are very frustrated with this. I won't be surprised to see many of them jump ship before long.

Dr. Insomniac

I have no faith in Batfleck whatsoever, but Bret Easton Ellis is hardly the best source of gossip.

Peanutbutter

Don't know anything about Brad Ellis, but this doesn't sound too out there to be true to me. The expansion into foreign markets like China I think is part of why a lot Hollywood's input the past few years has seemed even more lacking.

Avaitor

Ellis has backtracked on those comments.

I still don't have much faith or interest in this one.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

Oh yeah, so I caught Doctor Strange as planned. I was going to make one of our traditional talkback threads for it, but do we really need those anymore?

Anyway, it was good. The visual effects, especially, are out of this world, and the cast was strong. Even Cumberbatch worked well as Strange, but he's kind of playing type at this point. At the same time, this isn't one of the greats, since the MCU formula is getting increasingly stale and the comic relief is among the weakest of these movies. I'd still say that Phase 3 is off to a good start, but aside from some fantastic sequences that use great visual construct, there isn't much that will make this stand out.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I'll probably end up waiting for DVD to see this one. Not a lot of money, and I'm in no rush to see it. Glad to hear it's good.

I'm honestly more hyped for the movies coming out next year.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As far as the three "side-character" MCU movies go (so far), those being Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, and Doctor Strange, I'd say that I like Doctor Strange a bit more than Ant-Man but not as much as Guardians. It's solid entertainment and arguably the most visually impressive MCU film to date, but it doesn't quite reach the level of greatness of the best MCU films out there.

LumRanmaYasha

I'd probably rank it below Ant-Man, as I actively noticed the formula a bit more with this film and that did take me out of it a little. I do wish I had listened to all the critics and seen the movie in 3-D, because those visual and special effects felt legit immersive and I could totally see how the film would be even better through the 3-D experience.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It certainly was worth seeing in 3D, and I rarely ever say that.

The formula was definitely there, but I noticed it just as much in Ant-Man, myself. Why I put it slightly above, despite liking the former movie, is Scott Derrickson's keen directing style which gave the mysticism a legitimate other-worldly feel (thanks in no small part to Derrickson's background as a horror movie director) despite the actual story being very familiar, and I also felt that the ending went against expectations and was legitimately clever, having Strange outthink the big-bad rather than overpower him.

I'm really just glad that Derrickson got the chance to get some recognition through a major blockbuster film, but I would personally like to see him return to his horror routes with his next project.

LumRanmaYasha

I can see that. Really, they're both around the same level for me, but Ant-Man's style as a heist film was something I really dug just cause I like those sorts of movies. But I absolutely loved the ending with Strange outwitting Dormamu. That was a really refreshing change of pace from the massive-scale beat-em ups Marvel movies have tended to end with. I am actually looking forward to seeing more Dr. Strange films than Ant-Man & Wasp because I'm really excited to see how they'll take the other-wordly feel of the film's magic to the next level and go balls-to-walls crazy with the concept narratively, without the safety and trappings of an origin story formula.

Daikun

Avaitor

I do think that Ant-Man would have been better if Edgar Wright's influence was more pronounced than Adam McKay's, instead of the 50-50 split between their writing styles. I actually do like McKay, but they don't really mesh.

I'd put Ant-Man below Doctor Strange, but both are definitely behind Guardians.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Spider-Man Homecoming trailer

Not another origin story. Huzzah!

It reminds me a lot of SSM, which is a very good thing. Now we just need him trying to sell pictures to JJJ.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton