Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Dr. Insomniac

Maybe Sony should wait if Venom does well before announcing all these movies for their pseudo-MCU.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm smelling an Amazing Spider-Man 2 level debacle coming up again. Sony doesn't ever seem to learn from their past mistakes.

They should have just stuck with Lord and Miller's Spider-Verse movie for this year, and taken the time to plan out future films.

I'm pretty sure Kevin Feige and other head executives at Marvel Studios won't allow Sony to make any direct references connecting their movies to the MCU unless their films do well enough critically (which they won't if Venom is any indication).

Dr. Insomniac

That reminds me that Ryan Coogler wanted Kraven to show up in Black Panther, but Sony vetoed him.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Sony Pictures is basically the Capcom of the film industry.

Granted, I'm fine with Killmonger, as he was the best part of the movie, IMO, but it does just go to show you how the toxic greed of big corporate heads leaves them blind to any sort of logic: "No, don't let a talented director use one of our licensed characters that we can collect royalties off of; but instead let's save him for a future movie that will never get made because we have no idea how to get a franchise off the ground."

Joke's on them, since Black Panther broke a billion dollars at the box office and is still topping the charts.

Dr. Insomniac

I'm surprised by how many people want Sony to take back Spider-Man because they hate Homecoming and believe this will take Spidey back to the Raimi days. Like, did they forget how the Raimi days ended?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Those people are in the vocal minority anyways. Most people enjoyed Homecoming. In fact, TCVH who's typically pretty "meh" on most MCU films praised it, and even YMS gave it a relatively positive review compared to his ususal thoughts on Marvel movies.

I will say that in retrospect, I think the case could certainly be made for Spider-Man 2 still being the best film in the series, but Sony's response to that success is exactly why they shouldn't be handling a beloved Marvel property like this. Instead of allowing a director who's proven himself for them twice (both critically and financially) that he can turn out a good product with the right creative freedom to carry out his vision, they instead exert more control over the franchise, contradict Raimi's decisions every step of the way, and end up killing the series with the third installment (and this is coming from the one guy who doesn't even particularly dislike Spider-Man 3).

Daikun

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on March 13, 2018, 11:35:13 PMGod knows what would have happened if Sony bought the rights to all the Marvel characters back in 1998.

I could see it being a double-edged sword.

Pro: We'd probably get a better Fantastic Four movie than the three turds that Fox made. Heck, I'd imagine all of Fox's bad Marvel movies would've been made better by Sony.

Con: We likely wouldn't have Marvel Studios doing their own thing if Sony's run turns out successful enough. The movies and characters we have now either won't exist or be completely different.

Avaitor

Ava DuVernay to direct New Gods for DC. At least she is for now, but I'm not sure if this one is gonna stick. I expected Whedon to leave Batgirl, and I was right (although I've also heard that was a red herring announcement, to hide that Snyder was fired for Justice League and Whedon was hired to replace him).

Still, I like that DuVernay is still being given a big production even after A Wrinkle in Time seems to be a dud. I really like her other work, and hopefully this will make up for that one.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on March 13, 2018, 09:43:36 PM
I'm surprised by how many people want Sony to take back Spider-Man because they hate Homecoming and believe this will take Spidey back to the Raimi days. Like, did they forget how the Raimi days ended?
Yeah, Spider-Man 3 was absolute garbage.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The funny thing is that it's not even the worst Spider-Man movie. Not only did Sony fail to learn from their mistakes in that movie's production, but they somehow managed to fuck up even worse without even making it through three films in their next series.

And now Venom....well, let's just say that if you were to tell me that they can go even lower than TASM2, I might actually be inclined to believe you.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The end is near: https://youtu.be/QwievZ1Tx-8

Or, at least half of it is anyways.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You know, I've just been thinking about it after recently re-watching Thor: Ragnarok on Blu-Ray, but if you strip away the comedic tone and look at these films both as a cohesive trilogy as well as looking into Thor's grander character arc in the context of the MCU as a whole, it's incredibly dark and twistedly cruel knowing what's going to happen in Infinity War (probably at the very beginning). I mean, his whole personal journey from the beginning was to learn to be a proper leader and succeed his father as the ruler of Asgard, which sees him learn humility in the first movie, how to work with others to solve problems too great for one being in the Avengers movies, realizing that he can't truly ever bring himself to hate his brother despite also knowing that they can't ever truly have the relationship that they once did (and also after losing his mother) in TDW, to finally maturing enough as a person to be a fitting ruler of his subjects....except he loses his father, a good portion of his subjects, and all of Asgard. Even through that, he knows that they can relocate and rebuild, and is finally ready to step up to the position of King and lead what's left of his people....for all of maybe a few hours at best. That post credits scene shows them being intercepted by Thanos's ship not long after starting their journey to Earth, and we've seen in both trailers for Infinity War that Loki is walking over the fallen corpses of the remaining Asgardians. Likewise it seems most likely that Loki will be killed off at the beginning of the film once he gives Thanos what he wants, after sort of redeeming himself and reconciling with his brother.

So basically we have the story of a guy who goes through all of these hardships to fulfill his destiny and learn how to be a leader, and everything he knows and loves will be taken from him just moments after he finally reached that point in his life. That's actually incredibly tragic once you stop to think about it. I mean, essentially he'll be like Drax in that his main motivation will be to avenge those that he lost, but in this case it's even worse because he doesn't have a surrogate family who are always around him like with The Guardians of the Galaxy. Even if Thor survives this movie and the next Avengers film, I'm not even sure that he has anywhere or anyone to go back to that even remotely resembles his home or family.

Also, considering Valkyrie's character arc of facing her fear to overcome a tyrannical ruler, it's pretty cruel irony that she'll also probably meet her end to yet another tyrannical ruler literally moments after encountering the other one.

That's some pretty fucked up stuff right there, Marvel. :imnothappy:

Dr. Insomniac

There are rumors that Zack Snyder would have adapted Final Crisis for Justice League 2. That and the above picture sound like such a mess of an idea.