Survival Horror

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, May 10, 2011, 12:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Fuck you, Nintendo. (Oh wow; kinda' weird saying that. I feel dirty now.)

Quote from: Eddy on June 22, 2012, 12:04:32 AM
Seeing how Fatal Frame 4 was never released here and they seem to have no plans on bringing the Fatal Frame 2 remake here
And yet they bring over fucking SPIRIT CAMERA, the worst game in the entire series...

I won't lose hope, though. Rumor is, Nintendo refused to fund English localization for FF 4 because it was too buggy. Tecmo was lazy and didn't want to fix any of its problems (I haven't encountered a single glitch myself, though), so it never came out in the west. As for FF 2, it already has an English version on the PS2... which, from what I've seen thus far, is still superior.

Eddy

Those wanting to try out a horror game might want to play Slender. It's a free game available to both PC and Mac based on Slender Man, a "creepypasta" story from Something Awful forums. Knowledge about Slender Man isn't really needed to play the game.

The game puts you in a forest in the middle of nowhere and you're tasked with collecting eight pages that have been left on various landmarks throughout the map. Their location changes each time you play so you won't find the pages in the same place constantly. As you look for the pages you are pursued by Slender Man, a tall, skinny, humanoid figure that wears a black suit and has a featurless, pale, white face. With each page you find his pursuit becomes more and more aggressive. The screen will flicker and emit static when he is nearby, warning you. If he catches you, or if you look at him for too long, the game ends.

You have no weapons and no way to defend yourself. All you can do is run, look for the pages, and hope you aren't caught. The forest is dark, making it hard to traverse, which heightens the tension and fear. You have a flashlight but keeping it on for too long will cause it to dim. You can also sprint but your stamina runs low fairly quickly.

This is one scary game.

Foggle

Slender is a good concept, stopped being scary for me after a couple playthroughs though. And it's optimized like absolute shit.

I'm sure Slender: Source will be much better.

Eddy

So, for shits and giggles, what's everyone's horror game collection? Here's mine! (And I'll be using the term "horror" very loosely. Basically any game that seemed to scare people even if I didn't classify it as a horror game.)

NES:
Friday the 13th

PS2:
Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly
Fatal Frame III
Haunting Ground
Silent Hill 0rigins
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 4: The Room
Siren

GameCube:
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requim
Resident Evil Zero
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil Code Veronica X
Resident Evil 4

DS:
Resident Evil: Deadly Silence

360:
Alan Wake
BioShock
BioShock 2 (evidently some people consider the BioShock games scary?)
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Deadly Premonition
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
DOOM
DOOM 2
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City :wth:
Resident Evil 4 HD
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 6
Shadows of the Damned
Silent Hill: Homecoming
Silent Hill: Downpour
The Walking Dead

PS3:
Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PS1)
Resident Evil 3 (PS1)
Silent Hill (PS1)
Siren: New Translation

Wii:
Calling
Cursed Mountain
Dead Space: Extraction
Ju-On: The Grudge: Haunted House Simulator
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

I'm always looking to increase my horror game collection! However, I have a computer not really fit to run games for the time being so I have to miss out on games like Amnesia.

Foggle

Awesome collection! :joy: My list is a bit different... I'm only counting stuff that would actually be considered "horror" by most audiences, so no BioShock, RE5/6, Yakuza Dead Souls, etc. Also, not all of these games that I own on PC are exclusive to it (only a few are, actually), so you could still pick them up if you wanted.

Alan Wake (PC) - I also have American Nightmare, but I don't think that one is actually a horror game
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (PC)
Cold Fear (PC)
Condemned: Criminal Origins (PC)
Condemned 2: Bloodshot (360)
Cryostasis (PC)
Cursed Mountain (Wii)
Dead Space (PC)
Dead Space 2 (PC)
Dino Crisis (DC)
Doom 3 (PC)
Fatal Frame (PS2)
Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly (PS2)
Fatal Frame 3 (PS2)
Fatal Frame 4: Mask Of The Lunar Eclipse (Wii)
F.E.A.R. (PC)
F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point (PC)
F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate (PC)
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin (PC)
F.E.A.R. 3 (PC)
Metro 2033 (PC)
Penumbra: Overture (PC)
Penumbra: Black Plague (PC)
Penumbra: Requiem (PC)
Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PSN)
Resident Evil [Remake] (Wii)
Resident Evil 2 (PS1)
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS1)
Resident Evil 4 (Wii)
Silent Hill (PSN)
Silent Hill 2 (PC)
Silent Hill 3 (PC)
Siren: Blood Curse (PS3)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow Of Chernobyl (PC)
The Suffering (PC)
The Suffering: Ties That Bind (PC)
System Shock 2 (PC)

I've been looking into Haunting Ground, Eternal Darkness, and Calling. Any of those three worth picking up?

Commode

I have some zombie games(Dead Rising 1/2, Dead Island, House of the Dead Overkill, Red Undead Redemption, Lollipop Chainsaw), but that's really it honestly.

Ok, I don't know about Lollipop Chainsaw, that may or may not have been a joke.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My collection is pretty small. I only have:

F.E.A.R.
F.E.A.R. 2
Resident Evil 4
Hunter: The Reckoning
Alan Wake
Dead Space (which is technically my brother's, but he doesn't play it anymore)

Foggle

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I had a shit-ton of fun playing that game with my brother and his friend on co-op (its up to 4-players), but its pretty damn hard for me on single-player since the game doesn't seem to scale down for less players. I still had some fun with it, though. Its a hack n' slash game but its combat is far more shallow than something like NG or DMC or even God of War so I'd say its main strengths lie in its co-op.

Foggle

Cool, maybe I'll pick that up sometime if I can convince any of my friends to play it with me. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I certainly thought it was a fun game, but I also remember it being challenging in some bizarre ways. For instance, your character gets stronger as the game goes along, but if you die you lose all of your enhanced attributes which is kind of ridiculous. I think you could still make it through the game even if your character reverts back to their original stats, but it certainly makes it a lot harder and more tedious during the boss fights.

I have the game with me so I may just play it a bit again to see how well it holds up.

talonmalon333

Eddy

I also have Luigi's Mansion if you count that. I guess it's the closest to "horror" as a Mario game has ever gotten. :happytime:

Quote from: Foggle on October 14, 2012, 10:54:46 AMI've been looking into Haunting Ground, Eternal Darkness, and Calling. Any of those three worth picking up?
Eternal Darkness is definitely worth picking up if only for the creative "sanity meter" and seeing all the wild things it can do to your game. Truth be told, I never beat it because I selected the "hard" difficulty without knowing it and got stuck at a boss fight. But I keep meaning to go back and start up a new game.

Haunting Ground I have yet to play but I picked up at a GameStop one day because I had heard it's fairly uncommon. Seems like it could be good though. It's my understanding that it was made based on one of the scrapped versions of Resident Evil 4. I know it has somewhat of a Clock Tower approach where your character is stalked throughout a castle by someone, in this case a mentally disabled giant with the mind of a child who thinks you're a doll for him to play with. You can hide and hope he doesn't find you and you also team up with a dog who becomes your companion throughout the game.

Calling is hard to say if it's worth picking up or not. It's definitely not perfect but there's something about it that I like. It's very much like The Grudge game if The Grudge game wasn't complete trash and with a dash of Fatal Frame. It has some good scares and can be pretty creepy. For example, one stage takes place in a seemingly empty school. You awaken in a dark music room, all alone, and make your way into the hallway where you can hear the distant jiggle of a cell phone. When you pick it up you hear a girl whisper, through the Wii remote speaker, "That'sss my phone. I'm coming to get it. Okay?" and as you wander the school the girl keeps calling you telling you where she is and that she's getting closer. "I'm at the staircase on the second floor..." It's pretty unerving! :SHOCK:

Calling is fairly rare too, from what I understand.

Foggle

Calling sounds pretty sweet. I love weird Eastern horror like that. :lol: Thanks!

Eddy

Go for it! If nothing else it's a pretty unique Wii game that not many people have. :D

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 14, 2012, 01:51:07 PM
Any Clock Tower fans here?
The only Clock Tower I've played is the original for the SNES/Super Famicom via ROM. I beat with the best ending and I enjoyed it quite a bit but never really looked into the other games in the series. Which is funny seeing how the other ones have had US releases. I just know Clock Tower 3 seems really goofy.