Survival Horror

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, May 10, 2011, 12:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Spoiler
Oh right, that really creepy guy with the glasses said that... But I think he meant it purely as a joke. :-\
[close]

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 03, 2013, 04:29:06 PM
Spoiler
Oh right, that really creepy guy with the glasses said that... But I think he meant it purely as a joke. :-\
[close]
Maybe, but it makes the story and canon as a whole a lot more interesting if you view it as being true.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on May 03, 2013, 05:33:00 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 03, 2013, 04:29:06 PM
Spoiler
[close]
Maybe, but it makes the story and canon as a whole a lot more interesting if you view it as being true.

Spoiler
I'm not sure I completely agree. I feel like it would kind of undermine that nurse's (think her name is Lisa) fate in Silent Hill 1, and would even be contradicted by it. I also simply prefer the idea that these are just true monsters that are a product of a certain person's nightmare, rather than regular people. It would also suggest that these things are actually just normal people in Silent Hill.
[close]

Eddy

The Two Best Friend's play of Silent Hill Homecoming is hilarious.

Nel_Annette

And now they started the Deadly Premonition Director's Cut. Dear god. I've never even heard of the game, but it looks awful.

Eddy

Deadly Premonition is amazing. Easily one of my favorite games to come from this gen.

Foggle

Quote from: Nel_Annette on May 04, 2013, 01:02:55 AM
And now they started the Deadly Premonition Director's Cut. Dear god. I've never even heard of the game, but it looks awful.
Deadly Premonition is the ultimate example of good badness in gaming. Many of the ideas behind it are brilliant, but the execution is often mediocre at best. The cutscenes are so horribly done (on purpose, I think) that they actually become amazing. The writing is simultaneously nonsensical and profound. It's not for everyone, but the low budget shoddiness has its charm and the game is legitimately good if you can look past its flaws. It's easily one of my favorite games from this gen.

Look at it this way: if Resident Evil (PS1) is The Evil Dead (original), and Resident Evil 4 is Army Of Darkness, Deadly Premonition is Evil Dead 2.

Nel_Annette

It's on purpose?! Holy shit!

Spark Of Spirit

Until you get further into the game and the story becomes legitimately great. The gameplay is still flawed, but the world is extremely well developed and there's always something going on.

Honestly, if the gameplay was better, it would be pretty much perfect.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 06, 2013, 12:52:06 PM
Honestly, if the gameplay was better, it would be pretty much perfect.
Isn't that what Director's Cut is supposed to do...? Haven't played it yet, myself, and I don't want to spoil the experience by watching gameplay footage.

Eddy

The controls are vastly improved in the Director's Cut. The aiming is still a bit finicky but, aside from that, it's a big improvement. They also removed all the difficulty levels from the game giving you one, very easy difficulty where the enemies seem to go down in two shots. Some may view this as an easy way out but, really, the game isn't about the monster battles and the combat seems to be the big thing that was keeping a lot of people away. Worth noting, Swery never wanted to have combat in the game in the first place but his publishers told him "No, you NEED combat."

The framerate is pretty awful, though.

Foggle

Quote from: Eddy on May 06, 2013, 02:12:44 PM
Worth noting, Swery never wanted to have combat in the game in the first place but his publishers told him "No, you NEED combat."
He also wanted the game to have a female protagonist. While I love York and don't really have a problem with the combat, I think Swery's original vision for DP would have made an even better game.

QuoteThe framerate is pretty awful, though.
It's been a while since I've played the original, so I don't remember how the frame rate was in that one. Is the Director's Cut's better, worse, or about the same?

Eddy

I think it might be worse. I'm not sure if the jump to true HD has anything to do with it. The frame rate doesn't look as bad in some areas. It seems really noticeable in spots that have a lot going on like the Red Room and the car crash site.

Eddy

Man, Silent Hill Homecoming was bad but it could it have been MUCH worse. I found an interview with Tom Hulett from last year and found out some things he made them remove from the game/prevented:

- He tried to get Pyramid Head removed from the game but they wouldn't budge on it and wanted to keep him.
- Homecoming was going to be a trilogy. Heather was going to show up and team up with Alex and they were going to take down Silent Hill. Henry (SH4) was with them too maybe?
- Josh and Alessa were going to have a SUPER SAYAIN battle over Toluca Lake over control of the town.

:wth:

Foggle

Quote from: Eddy on May 11, 2013, 02:57:25 AM
- Homecoming was going to be a trilogy. Heather was going to show up and team up with Alex and they were going to take down Silent Hill. Henry (SH4) was with them too maybe?
- Josh and Alessa were going to have a SUPER SAYAIN battle over Toluca Lake over control of the town.
:fuzz: