Neon Genesis Evangelion

Started by Avaitor, May 10, 2011, 01:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on December 01, 2018, 03:01:43 PM
but it seems silly to me to recast the leads if they are still willing to be a part of the franchise.
This seems to be common with Netflix dubs. Michelle Ruff said nobody contacted her to play Rukia in the dub for the live-action Bleach movie. And they only brought back Vic, Aaron, and Caitlin for the FMA live-action dub even though Travis Willingham and Laura Bailey live in California.

Avaitor

It's weird to see them redub it, but as mentioned before, it's not like the original dub has aged perfectly. It'd be a bigger crime if they did this to Bebop, but yeah, hopefully they at least stick to the movie cast. This could be more of a DB Kai do-over than anything.

Although unless the dub is a real banger, I'll probably pass and stick to my DVDs, as I originally planned.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on December 02, 2018, 05:34:47 PMhopefully they at least stick to the movie cast. This could be more of a DB Kai do-over than anything.
Asuka's VA doesn't sound too hopeful about it.

Dr. Insomniac

Daikun

Daikun

Dr. Insomniac

Skimmed through some of the scenes, and all of the memorable lines like "I mustn't run away" or "I'm so fucked up" or "Are you riding his baloney pony?" are all gone. And the new lines don't have the same impact. The performances are fine though. The new Shinji sounds a little too much like Kirito from SAO Abridged, but everyone else is alright.

But that's an issue I have with some modern dubs. They're just alright. Maybe it's nostalgia talking, but I kind of preferred the 00s era of dubbing because for every godawful dub you got, there was also an extremely good dub of a show that adapted the source material to make it more natural instead of just trying to cram in the subtitle lines into the mouthflaps with as little change as possible. But now, while the days of hackdubs are almost extinct, modern dubs seem more faithful in a sterile way than a creative one. They're competent, but not really interesting. There's still occasionally a dub where you can tell the director and actors had fun with the show, but those seem too far and few between compared to back then. I know that's because the speedy production of simuldubs and demand for anime as soon as it comes out in Japan will dampen the creative process, but seeing as this dub of Evangelion took more time to produce yet still has the issues of modern anime dubs suggests another issue entirely.

Painted Outlaw

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9wJ-SwW4AU1VQi.png
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9wKAWLWsAIvDMO.png

Haha, oh geez. Between this and Tiffany Grant's comments about how her experience with this dubbing went, Netflangelion just sounds like a disaster.

Foggle

God Khara sucks. Yet more proof that Rebuild was a fucking mistake.

Painted Outlaw

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 23, 2019, 03:50:00 PM
Tiffany Grant is calling Anno the Japanese George Lucas on her facebook.

"Asuka's a tsundere, Shinji's life sucks and humanity always gets destroyed. And again, it's like poetry, it's sort of, they rhyme. Every stanza kind of rhymes with the last one"

VLordGTZ

The first 10 mins of Shin Evangelion will be screened in Japan, LA's Anime Expo, Shanghai, and Paris' Japan Expo on July 6th.

LumRanmaYasha and I will be at Anime Expo as press for All-Comic (as well as Toonami Faithful on my end), so hopefully I'll be able to check it out.

Foggle

The first 10 minutes were the good part of 3.0 so you may be in for a treat. Have fun! :im_nabeshin:

Daikun

Turns out the license to use "Fly Me to the Moon" is cheap as fuck.

Really, Netflix? You couldn't pull out an extra grand, especially with all the billions you spend?