Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

In a twitter conversation with Natsume:

QuoteWill the two Pocky & Rocky SNES games ever be re-released on the Virtual Console?
- @ominiq (Twitter)

Answer: At this point, it's unlikely we'll see any other Natsume SNES games coming to the Virtual Console, as Nintendo's interest has moved onto other classic systems.
I really wish Nintendo would stop slacking on the VC. The Wii's VC is incredible, why can't we have that library AND more classic games?

The Pocky & Rocky games are two of Natume's best SNES games and would surely sell. I really hope they change their minds about this.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

...and I'm having trouble signing into Xbox Live thanks to some stupid new update.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Konami is the worst publisher of all time.

Spark Of Spirit

Their game division really does deserve the ax.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

They can do this with purchased content too. Any publisher can, on any system. And people wonder why I refuse to buy digital-only games on consoles...

Sony must be livid at Konami over this. P.T. and Silent Hills were killer third-party exclusives for the PS4.

gunswordfist

I hope Sony forces them to make it downloadable again.

I have always feared that companies could do this with digital games. That sucks so much.

Foggle

I love this conspiracy theory:

Quote from: http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/852129-p-t-may-contained-hint-hideo-kojima-konami-remove-silent-hillsHowever, an eerie phone message that plays after the demo is completed has taken on new meaning, with some speculating that it may have been a hint from Kojima that all was not well with the development of the game.

The message, which is played just before the short trailer for Silent Hills is shown at the end of the demo, is as follows:

"Dad was such a drag. Every day he'd eat the same kind of food, dress the same, sit in front of the same kind of games... Yeah, he was just that kind of guy. But then one day, he goes and kills us all! He couldn't even be original about the way he did it. I'm not complaining... I was dying of boredom anyway, But guess what? I will be coming back, and I'm bringing my new toys with me."

The message stood out in the game as its wording and tone were quite incongruous with the rest of the demo, but no one thought much of it until the announcement was made that Kojima was (perhaps forcibly) leaving the development of Silent Hills in the wake of a dispute with Konami. Now the suggestion has been made that this message is a subtle reference to Konami (the "Dad") and Kojima's relationship, with Kojima "dying of boredom" when it came to dealing with the company, containing a prediction that Konami would eventually kill the project.

The final line – "I will be coming back, and I'm bringing my new toys with me" – is said to suggest that Kojima will be returning to the format of P.T., albeit with it not set in the Silent Hill universe, as Konami owns the rights to the franchise.

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 05, 2015, 09:43:25 PM

I have always feared that companies could do this with digital games. That sucks so much.
I don't think it's ever happened before, and I doubt it will ever happen again. But the precedent is there, and it's horrifying.

talonmalon333

Fun theory, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up. :P

Spark Of Spirit

So Kojima goes out and starts a new studio. Just like about everyone else who used to work there.

Now we just need Nakazato to form one for Contra and Rocket Knight Adventures successors.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 05, 2015, 09:50:47 PM
Fun theory, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up. :P
Well, I called it a conspiracy theory for a reason. :P

Kojima was really excited to work on Silent Hill, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he started a new studio and their first game was a psychological horror title.

talonmalon333

I feel like we live in the era of video game successors. Which speaks clearly of how little many developers care for some of their quality material.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on May 05, 2015, 09:48:50 PM
I love this conspiracy theory:

The final line – "I will be coming back, and I'm bringing my new toys with me" – is said to suggest that Kojima will be returning to the format of P.T., albeit with it not set in the Silent Hill universe, as Konami owns the rights to the franchise.

So this theory means Kojima will create his own The Evil Within?

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 05, 2015, 09:43:25 PM

I don't think it's ever happened before, and I doubt it will ever happen again. But the precedent is there, and it's horrifying.
[/quote]I don't remember another case of this happening before. My fear mostly comes from licenses expiring. This is certainly horrifying though.
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 05, 2015, 09:53:19 PM
So Kojima goes out and starts a new studio. Just like about everyone else who used to work there.

Now we just need Nakazato to form one for Contra and Rocket Knight Adventures successors.
:shakeshakeshake:

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 05, 2015, 09:56:40 PM
I feel like we live in the era of video game successors. Which speaks clearly of how little many developers care for some of their quality material.
The mainstream blockbuster bubble is popping. AAA-quality indie games funded via Kickstarter are the future.

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 05, 2015, 09:59:15 PM
So this theory means Kojima will create his own The Evil Within?
We can only hope...

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 05, 2015, 10:00:33 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 05, 2015, 09:56:40 PM
The mainstream blockbuster bubble is popping. AAA-quality indie games funded via Kickstarter are the future.
The thing is, indies shouldn't have to do this.

Microsoft should be making Banjo Kazooie sequels, Konami should be making classic Castlevania games, and Capcom should be making Mega Man games. Fans want them, developers want to make them. This is how the industry has worked since the NES. You build a brand, maintain it, and everyone wins.

It's only since last gen that publishers suddenly went stupid in the head and are shooting their own foot over and over again. If they would just pay attention, this industry would be a lot healthier than it is now.

Foggle

Oh yeah, publishers should definitely be treating their development studios with more respect. But it's also kind of cathartic to see designers I respect cutting out the middleman and giving the general public what they want.