Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Not all of his examples are necessarily the best ones (for instance, those walking conversations in MGRR are actually completely skippable), but his point is definitely valid and I fully agree with it.

What started out as a unique and interesting story-telling concept in the Half-Life games quickly devolved into cheap attempts at immersion in many lesser games, and ironically enough, those types of segments often break a player's immersion in the game rather than enhance it, by taking away control from the player while insisting that they should still be in control. And in case you happen to be into speed-runs like in Ninja Gaiden, Resident Evil, or Devil May Cry then fuck you because you need to pay attention to important story first, even if you've already beaten the game multiple times and have practically every line memorized.

Seriously, though, with just a few exceptions of games that actually utilize this feature well, most other games should just go back to cutscenes, IMO.

gunswordfist

I think it is used in place of a loading screen but I can only say for certain that Gears 1 does that.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It used to be used for that reason. These days unskippable walking sections are used as pretentious story-telling devices, regardless of whether it's loading something or not.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Then why do I find video games in Toys R Us? :^)

Rynnec

Me thinks he needs to find a new hobby.

Foggle

That second-to-last tweet has always been true, for about 50 years before video games were even invented...

Peanutbutter

Guy's just a crazy moron starving for attention now that he got kicked to the curb by his business partner.

Spark Of Spirit

When I killed my first cyberdemon in DOOM.

I cried for days.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Quote from: Peanutbutter on May 31, 2016, 12:20:17 AM
Guy's just a crazy moron starving for attention now that he got kicked to the curb by his business partner.

Oh wow, Anita cut her ties to the crazy man? Good for her, good for her! I'm not even being sarcastic about it.

Quote from: Foggle on May 31, 2016, 12:02:45 AM
That second-to-last tweet has always been true, for about 50 years before video games were even invented...

I betcha he's one of those people that think that Michael Bay invented the summer popcorn flick.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Daxdiv on May 31, 2016, 09:10:10 AM
Quote from: Peanutbutter on May 31, 2016, 12:20:17 AM

Oh wow, Anita cut her ties to the crazy man? Good for her, good for her! I'm not even being sarcastic about it.

Quote from: Foggle on May 31, 2016, 12:02:45 AM

I betcha he's one of those people that think that Michael Bay invented the summer popcorn flick.

Yeah, I forget where but I saw a good blog post about their situation. They theorized that him gathering torches and pitchforks at her buddy Joss Whedon blew up certain prospects she had. Just a theory but I bet it was on the money. Personally I thought they deserved each other, but at least their dumb web series has been gutted.

gunswordfist