Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 28, 2012, 02:06:49 PM
-no BC with Ps3
Oh, well, that kind of sucks but I'm sure it'll all be ok--
Quote- anti used game system like PC games with always online DRM.
GODDAMN IT SONY FUCK THE HELL OFF YOU ARE THE CANCER KILLING CONSOLE GAMING

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If companies seriously try to pull all of those anti-used games practices in the next generation, I think that they'll find it to destroy their business rather than help it (unless the cost of new games miraculously drops by a huge margin next-gen, which I seriously doubt). It'll get to the point where even the people who defend these shitty practices won't be able to afford to keep up with gaming, and we'll experience the next big video game crash since 1983. At this point its not even a mere joke. It can really happen if the dumb-asses running these businesses don't realize that this'll only get people to stop buying games altogether. I for one would never support these practices, but even if I was delusioned into thinking they were right and did try to support them, I couldn't, because I can't afford to buy games new most of the time. I rely on used game sales to get the games I need, so if they take that way next gen, then I'm just flat-out not getting any next-gen consoles or games.

Spark Of Spirit

What is really annoying is how their whole anti-used game and DRM plan is actually being defended by people out there. Like they have no idea how badly that's going to affect average people.

If Microsoft pulls this too, then console gaming is in serious trouble.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

And if Nintendo follows suit (which I doubt they will, but anything's possible), then console gaming is dead. Period.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, if Sony and Microsoft pull this but Nintendo doesn't, and the WiiU does end up getting good 3rd party support with next-gen games, then I think Nintendo will seriously have the opportunity to stomp the competition in sales. People aren't as stupid as some of the higher-up businessmen who have gaming companies pull this shit believe they are, and most people who have any interest in gaming will tend to go with the cheapest option that provides them the most gaming options for their money. With Nintendo, you already have a guaranteed great line-up of exclusives, and if it manages to get strong 3rd party support as well, it'll have all that it needs to dominate over Microsoft and Sony next gen.

Rynnec

Yeah, if Nintendo doesn't pull this anti-used game bullcrap, then the WiiU simply has to get good 3rd party support this time around.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 28, 2012, 02:17:43 PM
What is really annoying is how their whole anti-used game and DRM plan is actually being defended by people out there. Like they have no idea how badly that's going to affect average people.

If Microsoft pulls this too, then console gaming is in serious trouble.
Console gaming will be fucking dead aside from Nintendo. Literally. Anyone who defends this shit has never had Splinter Cell Conviction or Assassin's Creed 2 stop working when their internet connection went down. They've never been locked out of BulletStorm or their Mass Effect 3 save because they aren't connected to the internet. They've never been been unable to save in GTA 4 because they weren't connected to Windows Live at the time.

Do the people who defend this crap actually understand what it means for consoles to start implementing this kind of DRM? It's already horrible on the PC, but at least there you can easily crack your legally purchased games (like I've been forced to do many times) to ensure the continued usage of your favorite titles.

You can't do that on a console.

Spark Of Spirit

I don't think Nintendo is doing it. They usually don't like to force things like mandatory internet connections and taking out features from the previous console for BC or whatever, and there hasn't been any rumors suggesting this one will be any different in that aspect.

Though it would be weird if this is standard outside of Nintendo next gen because it would inadvertently prove that used sales help games because most people would most likely buy the Wii-U version of multiplatform games for offering more features (by default) and being the cheapest.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

The weirdest part is that there are still a lot of people out there who DON'T connect their systems to the internet for a lot of reasons. Maybe they only have 56k (yeah, that's still around), they don't have the providers, or they simply don't want to go online. It also convoluts the system which is a major reason people bought the Wii and the 360 last gen over the PS3 because they were a lot simpler and straightforward to use. Mom and dad buying this for little Manfred are not going to have any idea what's going on or why their system won't work until they find out they simply don't live in the "correct" area to use the system.

You're essentially locking out a giant amount of people from your product in an industry that's already sinking billions into the hole. I'm no economics major, but that's just terrible business.

Foggle

My internet connection is extremely unstable. It usually goes down for about 10 minutes every 30. That's why I always crack my PC games and was so happy to hear about bot match being an option in Anarchy Reigns.

If they bring that DRM to consoles, I will be physically unable to play console games.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on March 28, 2012, 02:41:15 PM
My internet connection is extremely unstable. It usually goes down for about 10 minutes every 30. That's why I always crack my PC games and was so happy to hear about bot match being an option in Anarchy Reigns.

If they bring that DRM to consoles, I will be physically unable to play console games.
The reason I think this could be true is because it's Sony.

They went with an expensive format that no one was using (first UMD then Blu-Ray), they made a DLC only handheld and infuriated retailers (while customers simply walked by), they were the first to adopt online passes for new games (Live is a general subscription, not quite the same thing), there was that whole exploit issue where they scorched the earth with users and their shoddy networks fell (Yes, this is a company I can put my safety with), and a handheld with absolutely no first party support with mandatory memory cards that drive the price into $300 territory, and now a console with online only DRM?

It isn't really that far out of the ballpark.

So while I do dog on Sony a lot, it's because they frequently make the dumbest decisions possible. If this keeps up, the PS3 will definitely be the last Sony system I purchase. (Other than the Vita, when that sinks in price) I can live with being a one console gamer.

Daxdiv

If this trend keeps continuing, I think I might be a WiiU and PC Gamer next generation. I kind of been not playing my Xbox 360 recently and really don't feel like getting a PS3 even with my tax money, I feel like saving it for something else and I don't think I'll be continuing any of these consoles next generation.

Commode

Cool, looks like Sony is saving me another few hundred dollars.  I held off on the PS3 until last summer, and the only thing that pushed me over the edge was the bluray, so it doesn't seem too hard to live without the PS4.

What's strange is that the last several generations the gaming companies were consistently giving us more and more features in their machines, now all of the sudden they are taking them away.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 28, 2012, 02:06:49 PM
Sorry to bring up next gen talk, but there's a rumor floating around about the PS4. Kotaku has a bigger article, but I'll just steal this post from Neogaf to sum it up since I'm not a tech guy:

Quotesummary
-no BC with Ps3
- http://orbis.scedev.net/ exists
-AMD 2012 GPU with up to 4k resolution for games. AMD Southern Islands GPU http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souther...ds_(GPU_family)
-AMD x64 CPU
- anti used game system like PC games with always online DRM.

"If you buy the disc, it must be locked to a single PSN account, after which you can play the game, save the whole thing to your HDD, or peg it as "downloaded" in your account history and be free to download it at a later date."
"it's believed used games will be limited to a trial mode or some other form of content restriction, with consumers having to pay a fee to unlock/register the full game."
If true, I'm done with Sony.
Someone please link me to somewhere where I can protest this.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Eddy

All I can say is that if Sony pulls this there's no way I'm getting the PS4.