The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 13, 2014, 12:50:16 PM
The thing is, after a certain period of time, Ganon is really no longer Ganon. Any semblance of personality or character he might of had is wiped out by his bitterness and hatred, leaving only the shell behind piloted by nothing but malice.

Just take a look at his appearance at the beginning of the timeline and what its like by the end of the classic one. Whatever was left of his personality has been eaten away.

I like that too but that's for the 2D continuity (ALttP onward). We don't need to have that element on two continuities. I think it just works better to think of Ganon in OoT and WW as an arc which is sealed in WW. To me, bringing him back after WW is like resurrecting all sorts of characters in various pieces of fiction that should stay dead (I'm sure you can think of ten or more).

That way, you get the best of both worlds. On one timeline, you get to see Ganon constantly coming back, all the while his hatred growing and consuming him until there's nothing left. And on another timeline, you get to see the humanity in him, and how that is what leads him to his ultimate and true demise. We're treated to two very different journeys of Ganon's character and I like having both.

Then, on the third timeline (the one with MM and TP), Ganon's fate is unconfirmed. If they want to bring him back, I say that's the perfect place to do so.

RacattackForce

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 13, 2014, 12:27:26 PM
Here's another timeline related thing I'd like to address.

I hope that they never revive Ganon in the Wind Waker timeline. I don't know what you guys thought, but to me, WW was a phenomenal conclusion to Ganon. Because for all these years, we fought Ganon and saw him as simply the evil guy who wants to take over the world. However, in the ending of Wind Waker, we learn there was a little more to him than that. He had grown up in a desert in horrible conditions (he metaphorically refers to it as the wind), so he basically just had to watch people die for all his life. All the while, he could only look upon Hyrule, where life was thriving and happy, and knew that he couldn't have that life. Is he selfish? Yes. Is he greedy? Absolutely. However, there is a reason why, and maybe even he knows that he messed up along the way. He certainly comes off as far more understanding when you look at his dialogue in Wind Waker. But this is the reason he had spent centuries searching for the Triforce, because he wanted to resurrect Hyrule.

However, in the end of Wind Waker, something happened. Ganon had restored the Triforce to its full form, but before he could make a wish on it, it was immediately snatched by the King of Hyrule who used it to erase Hyrule, in order to give hope for the ocean above, and that Ganon drown with it. At this point, Ganon just launched a final attack on Link and Zelda, in an attempt to take them with him, before being finally killed (not sealed, but literally killed). His last words are "The wind is blowing", which basically refers to the wind that brought death to his desert, has now come to claim him. In the end, Ganon had nothing left to live for. The Triforce was taken from him, and Hyrule was erased. His entire life's purpose was gone. Why would he come back after Wind Waker?

It's for this reason that I've always considered Wind Waker to be a really good finale for ancient Hyrule and Ganon. Bringing him back to life would hurt that. If they decide to introduce a new Ganon in that timeline, go ahead. As long as it's not the same Ganon that appeared in OoT and WW, it's not really a problem to me. But leave this Ganon dead. His character arc has been completed.
I agree. The Adult Timeline should never have the return of Ganon. His character arc on that side of the canon is over.

talonmalon333

I just feel like going through the potential places on the timeline that Nintendo could put future games on. These spots will be indicated with a ?? sign.

/-??-WW/PH-??-ST-??
??-SS-??-MC-FS-??-OoT-??-ALttP/Oracles/LA-??-LoZ/AoL-??
                                     \MM-??-TP-??-FSA-??

Spark Of Spirit

Personally, I'd want to see a post-Zelda II game, but I'm wondering if they haven't made one for any specific reason. I don't remember Ganon's defeat in that game being any more permanent than it was in other games.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 14, 2014, 12:46:23 PMALttP/Oracles/LA-??-LoZ/AoL

It's only one of the best Zelda games.  ;)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 14, 2014, 04:32:00 PM
Personally, I'd want to see a post-Zelda II game, but I'm wondering if they haven't made one for any specific reason. I don't remember Ganon's defeat in that game being any more permanent than it was in other games.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 14, 2014, 12:46:23 PMALttP/Oracles/LA-??-LoZ/AoL

It's only one of the best Zelda games.  ;)

I tend to forget because I haven't played it yet. :P

As for AoL being last, I don't think there's a specific reason. I mean, from the start ALttP was a prequel and OoT was a prequel to that game. Since then they've been making other timelines that split from OoT without touching the 2D games much at all, so AoL is kind of stuck at the end. Though I do remember hearing they were going to remake the NES Zelda games, and then a sequel to them, for the GB Color, but that idea ended up transforming into the Oracle games.

Also, I kind of like AoL being last. It reminds me of a fairy tale ending where "The hero awakens the princess, reunites the Triforce, saves Hyrule, and they all live happily ever after".

talonmalon333

You know what I've come to realize?

Eventually, in the future, Skyward Sword will no longer be playable. I mean, think about it. Nintendo consoles aren't going to support Wii controls forever, especially not Motion Plus, a Wii accessory that barely sold at all. And it's not a game that you can simply map to traditional controls, because then it's simply not the same game. Other games, like Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past, will always be remember largely thanks to the fact that they will always be playable. They'll continue to be re-released as long as the Nintendo brand exists. But Skyward Sword? It might never even be ported once. After Wii U, motion controls might already be gone. The game's a product of its time, and that time will come to an end, likely even sooner than people think.

Spark Of Spirit

They'll just remake it with a plain control set up and remove the context-sensitive enemies is all.

All future Nintendo systems will have motion controls, though. They're going to want to keep the controls that got them so many sales. They'll just end up being secondary to the main ones like the Gamepad. Think GoldenEye 007 on the Wii - motion controls and dual analog controls both as options.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 18, 2014, 03:12:39 PM
They'll just remake it with a plain control set up and remove the context-sensitive enemies is all.

All future Nintendo systems will have motion controls, though. They're going to want to keep the controls that got them so many sales. They'll just end up being secondary to the main ones like the Gamepad. Think GoldenEye 007 on the Wii - motion controls and dual analog controls both as options.

Said controls aren't going to sell for much longer. They already don't, really. Nintendo won't see the point of putting the extra money into backwards capability with a console so old.

Also, remaking SS with plain controls will make it an entirely different game. That game was completely designed around the control scheme.

Spark Of Spirit

They still use them on the Wii U, so I doubt they'll be going away for a long time, anyway.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 18, 2014, 07:03:35 PM
They still use them on the Wii U, so I doubt they'll be going away for a long time, anyway.

But they don't use the GameCube controller for Wii U, or GameCube support in general.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 18, 2014, 11:46:51 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 18, 2014, 07:03:35 PM

But they don't use the GameCube controller for Wii U, or GameCube support in general.

talonmalon333

What the heck is that thing? :P

Also, they still don't support GameCube games, just as I imagine they won't support Wii with the next console. And it's just too unrealistic to imagine them completely redoing SS to make it playable with traditional controls.

On another topic, I just realized that, despite the fact that SS is the origin of many Zelda elements, Nintendo could make not only one prequel to it, but they could potentially make an entire line of games that take place ages before SS. I say this because SS shows clear signs that an ancient civilization existed some time ago, but was ultimately destroyed (most likely in the war featured in SS's backstory... or they could even potentially make a game about that war). They just couldn't use a lot of those traditional Zelda elements, but then again games like Majora's Mask got by fine without those. So, if they ever want to make anymore MM's, it makes sense for them to just stick them pre-SS and then go crazy.

Spark Of Spirit

It's a controller adapter for the Gamecube controller to work on the Wii U. It's the exact thing you said they don't do anymore.  ;)

As for Gamecube games, who knows? They've announced DS and N64 games for the VC and none of them are out on the Wii U VC yet.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 19, 2014, 04:55:13 PM
It's a controller adapter for the Gamecube controller to work on the Wii U. It's the exact thing you said they don't do anymore.  ;)

As for Gamecube games, who knows? They've announced DS and N64 games for the VC and none of them are out on the Wii U VC yet.

I don't just mean VC. I mean actual porting.

Also, how will DS games be playable on the Wii U VC? It would make sense with 3DS games since they mainly use the top screen for gameplay and leave the bottom screen for menus, which is what the Wii U usually does anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

I have no idea how they'll be done, they haven't shown any off yet.

Suffice to say, no one's really excited to play the Zelda games any time soon.