The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

http://www.gamesradar.com/why-every-zelda-game-is-the-best-and-worst-in-the-series/

I expected this to be better than their Mario arguments. But honestly, I feel like they barely argued anything in these points. They mostly just say "this game has this, or this" or "this game doesn't have this, or this". They barely even talk about dungeons and how they are designed, and those are some of the big key elements of Zelda in general.

Like, it should be easy to make an argument against Spirit Tracks, but their argument amounts to "we didn't need another handheld Zelda so soon that was in the same style as PH".

I did find amusement in these, though.

QuoteThe Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Why it's the worst Zelda ever: Link to the Past is only the worst Zelda ever if you have a pathological hatred of perfection. The only possible downside to LttP is that if you were introduced to the Zelda series with this game, you might find it harder to go back and play Zelda 1 and 2 after you've already experience this huge leap forward. Seriously, we can't think of anything harsher to say.

QuoteLink's Crossbow Training
Why it's the best Zelda ever: No one thinks it's the best Zelda ever.

QuoteLink: The Faces of Evil
Why it's the worst Zelda ever: Because it is.

Spark Of Spirit

They didn't even try on some of those.

But really, it's hard to call any 2D Zelda the worst ever when you have to compare it to the NES games that they all totally eclipse, and the NES games aren't even terrible.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I still don't think Minish Cap is all that good. :P

It's better than the NES games, though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on December 29, 2014, 11:39:17 PMIt's better than the NES games, though.

And the incredibly overrated Link's Awakening. :>

No, but seriously, mean jokes aside, the Oracle games pretty much did everything that LA did, but just about 10 times better in every regard.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on December 30, 2014, 12:22:30 AM
No, but seriously, mean jokes aside, the Oracle games pretty much did everything that LA did, but just about 10 times better in every regard.

Agreed.

I do like Minish Cap, not as much as LA or the Oracles or ALttP, but I do like it (Vaati's human form is still my favorite Zelda villain design). I think my problems come down to:

-The overworld is relatively tiny. Like, extremely tiny.
-There are very few actual dungeons for a top-down Zelda game. The king's tomb should have been one. There actually other rooms for that place in the code.
-The kinstones feel like wasted potential. The fun of it wears off quick.
-Some of the "inbetween dungeons" filler is a bit... obtuse. I don't need my hand held, but with things like returning the library books, there was honestly a bit where I had no idea what I was supposed to do next, and no one was telling me in-game.
-The biggest problem I have: The Minish Cap is too easy. Almost a decade on, I still think it's the easiest game in the entire series. In all my playthroughs of it, I've never died once. Not my first playthrough back in 2005, and not last year.

I don't hate the game. The plot's fine, Vaati's cool, it's pretty to look at and has pretty decent music. But if I were to rank it, it'd be somewhere in the lower middle.

Avaitor

Man, Four Swords Adventure is fun, but extremely difficult to fully experience now.

I would really like to see Nintendo find a way to rerelease it with a somewhat different engine or try a different take on the concept. That's just something that needs to be tried out again.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on December 30, 2014, 12:22:30 AM
And the incredibly overrated Link's Awakening. :>

I still like LA better than those two games individually. The comparison is extremely close, though. And if you look at the Oracle titles as a single, big adventure, they beat LA and become the best handheld Zelda.

Quote from: Nel_Annette on December 30, 2014, 01:35:35 AM
I do like Minish Cap, not as much as LA or the Oracles or ALttP, but I do like it (Vaati's human form is still my favorite Zelda villain design). I think my problems come down to:

I love Wind Waker Ganon's design. That's my pick for best villain design. It perfectly captured the character presented in that game, both his evil side, and his somewhat sad side. I also think it captured the more "wizard" part of the character. Ganon's typical lean, muscular appearance does a good job of making him look like a strong warrior, but I sometimes forget he's supposed to be some great wizard.

Quote from: Nel_Annette on December 30, 2014, 01:35:35 AM
-The overworld is relatively tiny. Like, extremely tiny.
-There are very few actual dungeons for a top-down Zelda game. The king's tomb should have been one. There actually other rooms for that place in the code.
-The kinstones feel like wasted potential. The fun of it wears off quick.
-Some of the "inbetween dungeons" filler is a bit... obtuse. I don't need my hand held, but with things like returning the library books, there was honestly a bit where I had no idea what I was supposed to do next, and no one was telling me in-game.
-The biggest problem I have: The Minish Cap is too easy. Almost a decade on, I still think it's the easiest game in the entire series. In all my playthroughs of it, I've never died once. Not my first playthrough back in 2005, and not last year.

I don't hate the game. The plot's fine, Vaati's cool, it's pretty to look at and has pretty decent music. But if I were to rank it, it'd be somewhere in the lower middle.

I agree with these points. To me, Minish Cap feels a bit like 2D Zelda-lite. Still better than most games in existence, though. But it is certainly my least favorite handheld Zelda, DS games aside.

Quote from: Avaitor on December 30, 2014, 03:25:39 AM
Man, Four Swords Adventure is fun, but extremely difficult to fully experience now.

I would really like to see Nintendo find a way to rerelease it with a somewhat different engine or try a different take on the concept. That's just something that needs to be tried out again.

The Wii U tablet could easily substitute for the GameBoy Advance and all those plug-ins, thus making play a lot easier. They could also make the beautiful 2D sprites and environments in the game look even better.

The game didn't make much money, though. So I have a feeling Nintendo will just abandon it.

talonmalon333

What do you guys think is better: Skyward Sword, or the DS games?

talonmalon333

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 04, 2015, 07:39:36 PM
What do you guys think is better: Skyward Sword, or the DS games?

Was hoping for some good "Both are bad, but so-and-so is better than such-and-such" responses. :imnothappy:

Nel_Annette

At least in Skyward Sword I can use a control stick. So it wins right off the bat.

talonmalon333

I don't even dislike the Skyward Sword controls. They just aren't preferable to traditional controls. On the other hand, the stylus controls of the DS games just made things feel dumbed down.

Kiddington

Has anyone played Hyrule Warriors, and if so is it worth $60?

That new DLC kiiiinda piqued my interest a bit (fuck all y'all, Tingle rocks).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, based on every review that I've seen about it, the game is just like every other KoeiTecmo Dynasty Warriors and Musou game, except with Zelda characters. If you enjoy that style of gameplay, then you'll probably like Hyrule Warriors. If not, then it probably won't do much for you.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm going to wait a bit for it. I've got enough games coming to experience.

But the DLC is supposedly really good, if you wanted to know about that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

It does kind of seem like a Dynasty Warriors game with Zelda-based DLC to me.