The Simpsons

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 29, 2011, 09:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Well, Al Jean is the show runner, but I don't believe the rest of Sam Simon's original writing team still works on the series in any notable capacity.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 30, 2014, 02:34:48 PM
Quote from: Cartoon X on September 30, 2014, 02:31:01 PM
The only important thing Groening ever did for The Simpsons was create it. He never had any influence on the writing of the show and what it came to be as time went on.

Fair enough. Then none of the original writers still have any involvement, right? :P
Sam Simon bowed out in the early 90s, George Meyer hasn't been funny since his first stint on the show, Al Jean is better with Mike Reiss, Mike Reiss' solo stuff has been subpar, David Mirkin has nothing to do with it anymore, Oakley & Weinstein are pitching new shows but haven't made a new show since Mission Hill, the best writers of the classic period went on to shows like King of the Hill and Futurama around season 9 when Mike Scully came on, and Mike Scully is a better writer than showrunner who has long since left behind the show. All the writers still there are the worst ones from season 10 on. Almost nobody who worked on the first 8-9 seasons is there anymore.

Matt Groening currently has as much influence on the show as Jonathan Collier. In other words, none.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 30, 2014, 02:17:51 PM
Does Groening even still do anything for The Simpsons?
Yeah, he does the intros for the DVD sets.

Real talk though, Matt has always been the marketing face of the show, the only reason it took off in the first place was Jim Brooks and Sam Simon.  It's debateable to say that Matt even created it, really all he did was create the core family(and crude versions of them at that), everything else that has come from it was built by the writers.  But what looks better in news stories about the show, two writers with much experience in television create yet another hit show, or indie cartoonist living out of his car in Slumville Los Angeles creates hit show?
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

He does at least give (or did give) notes on the show, so it isn't like he did nothing at all. I'm fairly certain Jim Brooks hasn't had much of any involvement since the early years either and I'm pretty sure his input creatively has been pretty low.

But again, it doesn't really matter in regards to the question because none of them have anything to do with the show right now.

I also forgot to mention that John Swartzwelder hasn't written a script for the show since season 15. And as we all know, he hasn't been in the writing room since even longer, which means any edits on his scripts have none of his input.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

And Groening isn't even a very good artist to begin with.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Speedy

I'd like to think David Silverman deserves a lot of credit for The Simpsons being what they are today, visually anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Matt Groening is actually a fairly decent writer from what I've read of things he's done. Artist, not so much. But then, not all cartoonists are great artists.

Quote from: Speedy on September 30, 2014, 04:10:31 PM
I'd like to think David Silverman deserves a lot of credit for The Simpsons being what they are today, visually anyway.
I agree. Look at the early shorts and then what it became by as early as early season 2. His direction really added a lot and smoothed it out really fast.

Commode

Groening's art has always been crude, but he has a sharp wit and a great sense of humor, things that are evident all the way back to the very first Life in Hell strip.  He's not without talent, that's for sure.

Also, I echo the David Silverman thing.  With all the former talent that they brought back for the movie, Silverman's animation on it is one of the few things that was done right.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Silverman's still around, as well. The guy is definitely one of the big names when it comes to The Simpsons.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

I wasn't planning on watching the Family Guy crossover, but I saw that someone put it up on YouTube, and decided what the hell.

For an one-long pat on the back, it wasn't that bad.

New blog!

Speedy

Season 17's Blu-ray/DVD release date was finally announced yesterday for December 2nd:  http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Simpsons-Season-17/20355 .  Not sure if I'll get it-  that was a really lackluster season IMO.

It'll be interesting seeing what classic era episodes they throw on as high def bonuses, though.

Speedy

^ The bonus episodes are Krusty Gets Busted, Cape Feare (someone alert Joel!) and...... The Man Who Grew Too Much.  Huh.  I know they were going with Sideshow Bob-themed episodes, but... why not Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming?  Or Brother From Another Series?  Or Black Widower?  Or Sideshow Bob Roberts?  I'd even take Day of the Jackanapes!

Daikun

LumRanmaYasha

Oh sweet! Now I can rewatch all the classic episodes from the begin-

(sees that Dish is not a participating cable provider)

...sigh, never mind, then.  :imnothappy:

Daikun

If you're able to in your area, have you considered maybe switching?

Right now, Dish are being dicks to Turner. Considering they're not broadcasting CN or participating in the eventual move to online...