Platformers

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 21, 2011, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Wow, what the hell? Utter lunacy. No wonder Naughty Dog moved on to Uncharted and Sucker Punch moved on to Infamous.

A Crack In Time is probably the most platforming-oriented R&C since the original game (it also has the worst shooting since the original game, but it's still good). I can understand if people are getting tired of the formula, but hell, it still works, and nearly every game in the series is great fun. No one complains about the CoD formula of "shoot ten terrorists, sprint past grenade spam, shoot ten more terrorists, avoid insta-death invisible walls, watch cutscene" getting stale...

The fact that some people want R&C to drop the platforming is just ignorant. It's one of the core principles the series is built off of!

Spark Of Spirit

That's what I mean. I just don't get all the double standards this gen in regards to stuff like that. It's not like we're over-saturated with 3D platformers never mind ones with shooting already in it, yet we're crawling with COD clones and no one bats an eye. It's a shame.

That's one of the reasons I am thankful for the Wii that proves the audience for those games still exist. Heck, the R&CF games are pretty much one of the reasons to own a PS3.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Unless you count Infamous and Uncharted (which I really don't), isn't R&C the only 3D action platformer on current gen consoles? :zonk:

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on February 19, 2012, 03:18:02 PM
Unless you count Infamous and Uncharted (which I really don't), isn't R&C the only 3D action platformer on current gen consoles? :zonk:
There's the two Prince Of Persia games.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Going Commando comes so close to topping Up Your Arsenal every time, and then there's something annoying that pulls it back for me like annoying grind rails that won't let me jump properly, random flying sections that feel like filler, or really bad checkpoint placement at times. There's nothing to make the game bad, but they manage to just stop it every time from surpassing UYA to me. And three times I played that Ultimate Impossible Challenge in the arena and I have been stuck between rounds 20 and 30 because enemies just won't spawn. Impossible, indeed.  :P

The game is still great, though. Easily one of the best on the PS2.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Never really had a problem with the grind rails. But that Impossible Challenge is a total bastard. Don't think I ever beat it.

Have you gotten the Wrench Ninja skill point? I used to attempt wrench-only runs on these games when I was a lot younger. I think I have something like 40 hours clocked on a single R&C 1 save file because of that...

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 20, 2012, 11:39:22 PMHave you gotten the Wrench Ninja skill point? I used to attempt wrench-only runs on these games when I was a lot younger. I think I have something like 40 hours clocked on a single R&C 1 save file because of that...
How in the world did you do that? The game gets insanely hard due to things like those bears who surround you and each take off a third of your health per hit, and even the upgraded guns soak up damage. I ended up using the charge boots to fly through the area and spam through. The game just hates you by then. But no, I didn't get that skill.

Seriously, that ice crystal part...  :burn:

Foggle

Well, it took me 40 hours to beat the shortest game in the series. :lol: Don't think I ever completed a Going Commando or Up Your Arsenal wrench-only run; shit gets too intense. And I never even dared to try a wrench-only run in Deadlocked.

You get Wrench Ninja by beating Chainblade with only the wrench, btw. I was a lot better at video games back then...

Spark Of Spirit

Chainblade is a pain with the wrench. I always have to use guns to just hit him. Man, you must have been really good to do that!  :D

But seriously, thanks for sticking up for the series so much, or I might never have given the series a second shot! I can be dumb that way.  :sweat:

Foggle

Yeah, I haven't been able to do it for years. Can maybe get five hits on him with the wrench before dying, if I'm lucky. :lol:

I will always stick up for R&C, lol. It's my favorite series! :joy:

Foggle

Yo, Spark, are Rayman 1 & 2 worth buying? Good Old Games has 'em both for $6 a pop. I didn't like 3 very much, so I was wondering if the first two are any better.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 24, 2012, 02:25:25 PM
Yo, Spark, are Rayman 1 & 2 worth buying? Good Old Games has 'em both for $6 a pop. I didn't like 3 very much, so I was wondering if the first two are any better.
These are the PC versions, right? I'd say Rayman 2 is totally worth the money as it's a pretty decent 3D platformer. Rayman 1 is more of frustrating platformer with a lot of annoying quirks. gsf would probably recommend it, but I'm not sure I would.

When it comes to Rayman, I think 2 and Origins are easily the best ones.

Foggle

Alright, cool. I've heard that Rayman 2 is the best in the series. And yeah, they're the PC versions, but the porting is apparently quite well done and I have a gamepad, so everything should be fine. ;)

GOG is seriously amazing! It has so many classic games updated to work on newer computers for low prices. DRM-free, too. It's run by the developer of The Witcher series (which explains why those are the only "new" games on the site, lol); easily one of the greatest companies in the entire industry.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I always confuse that site for GreenManGaming. I get emails from both of them from time to time, so I assumed they were the same service.

Speaking of Rayman 2, I always wanted to pick up the N64 game but I never did. Those adverts they had with Ray the Man were so hilarious.

Foggle

GreenManGaming is also a decent service. They usually have really good deals on games, but their "capsule downloader" is absolute horse crap. When they sell Steam keys, though, they're excellent, since you can generally save up to 40% off on new releases.