Platformers

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 21, 2011, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

I played Crash 1 and a bit of 2. I don't think the former holds up, while I have no memory of the latter.

Speedy

Re Spyro:  Ripto's Rage is my personal favorite of the series, though all three are good.

Then came Enter the Dragonfly... while it's not -horrible-, it's definitely underwhelming after the PS1 games and had some nasty bugs/optimization issues (and more loading than the PS1 games) which makes you think they didn't have enough time to properly test it.  Think Sonic '06, only not quite that extreme.

Commode

Crash 1 isn't so good, but it's not unplayable.  The sequels are quite a bit better though.  I've only ever played the first two Spyro games, and in fact have them on my Vita, and they are both pretty good, but the second one is the better of the two.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Crash 1's main fault is the difficulty. It's horrendously unbalanced. Otherwise, I don't see how it's dated much at all. Just don't bother going for the gems. They're pointless.

Crash 2 and 3 are excellent platformers. I just replayed them about two years ago. They hold up great.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

yeah, crash 1 was hard. i hate the nitro boxes. as for how well it has aged, i doubt i would like its linearity i played it now.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

How is Kirby: Canvas Curse, and Squeak Squad?

Spark Of Spirit

Canvas Curse isn't a platformer and Squeak Squad is probably the most generic Kirby game.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

Aw. I love Squeak Squad. Like Amazing Mirror, it has some absolutely beautiful spritework in the backgrounds.

Spark Of Spirit

I didn't say worst. I just meant that it doesn't really do anything to stand out from the others to me. My least favorite is easily the Amazing Mirror.

gunswordfist

3d platformers were the number 1 genre during the ps1/n64 era, right? how have times changed...

Spark Of Spirit

You can see the transition in the PS2 era, especially Naughty Dog.

Jak & Daxter marks the end of collectathons while Jak II is basically an open world game centered on platformer missions and then Jak 3 is more open world with a couple of platformer missions.

Like Naughty Dog, most NA developers seemed to find more enjoyment in open world and shooters now.

gunswordfist

interesting. also, wasn't jak & daxter open world? i am asking because that's how the game was marketed, iirc,..and i have yet to play it.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on January 23, 2015, 10:08:46 PM
interesting. also, wasn't jak & daxter open world? i am asking because that's how the game was marketed, iirc,..and i have yet to play it.
It was basically Banjo Kazooie or Super Mario 64 in one giant map without any load times. There were no overworld missions or anything to do in the game except complete platforming challenges to collect orbs. And you can pick and choose what you want to do at any time.

Jak II and 3 conversely have open world missions like races, deliveries, or such in addition to the core platforming missions. And you can only do the levels in story order. At least in II. Jak 3 barely has any platforming levels which is a shame because the few they have are excellent.

gunswordfist

yes, i remember the description of the game being something like that. i wish i got jad instead of final fantasy x...

gunswordfist

i forgot you had cave story in your top 15. would you still rank it that high? i think i would have it in my top ten today.