Platformers

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 21, 2011, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

no no, this is clearly sony incompetence.

and now i remember speedy saying it's in japanese.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Would anyone else like to see Retro's next game be a sequel to Donkey Kong 64, but this time with better level design, less mini-games, and only one or two playable characters?

Thinkin' I might be the only one...

talonmalon333

I kind of want to see Retro branch out now. Also, I do dream of seeing the old people who worked for Rare form their own studio, get bought by Nintendo as a second party, and then make a sequel to DK64. :P

Basically, this...

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 04, 2015, 08:30:06 PM
Quote from: Foggle on February 04, 2015, 08:24:48 PM

I wouldn't even be surprised if Nintendo publishes the game and the dev team becomes second party like Retro.

Speaking of, imagine a modern Banjo-style collectathon as good as Tropical Freeze. I could die happy.

What this post basically says is: DK64 sequel, done right. :P

Also, I'm fine with more than two playable characters. I liked all of the Kongs that were featured in 64. I just think they should be implemented better.

Foggle

I don't see how going from first-person shooter/exploration games to 2D platformers to a 3D collectathon wouldn't be branching out. ???

Spark Of Spirit

I want their next game to be one last 2D DKC game to round out their trilogy. After that they can do a 3D Donkey Kong game.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

What I mean is, I want to see Retro move on from Donkey Kong. From here, I'd like to see them either...

a. Make a 2D Metroid game
b. Revive something else (StarTropics, etc.)
c. Do something new

Though, if that dream 2D Mario game Spark and I were talking about earlier comes true, I say Retro could collaborate with Nintendo to incorporate Donkey Kong as an unlockable character. :P

Spark Of Spirit

As for what order I would like to see next from Retro, that's easy. Here's a top 500 list.

1) Final DKC game featuring King K. Rool's return
2) 3D Donkey Kong game structured like Jak & Daxter only with more challenge
3) 2D Metroid game for the 3DS
4) StarTropics revival
5) Something brand new

500) Metroid Prime 4
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Prime had a great run, but I think people should let it go.

Though I imagine that's what you were getting at.

Foggle

They should make an original IP. And it should be a culmination of the best aspects from Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie. :humhumhum:

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 05, 2015, 10:13:07 PM
500) Metroid Prime 4
Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 05, 2015, 10:15:21 PM
Prime had a great run, but I think people should let it go.
Apparently Miyamoto prefers Metroid Prime to 2D Metroid. Just found that tidbit interesting.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm not against them doing a 3D Metroid game, but a Prime 4? Come on, let that go already.

Although a lot of the people requesting it don't seem to understand that the Prime team isn't there anymore. The team there now is weaned heavily on 2D platformers to the extent that they asked to make Tropical Freeze. Therefore I would like them to have one last go at that franchise then do something else.

A 2D Metroid, a 3D Donkey Kong game or new IP, whatever. I'm game for what they do next.

gunswordfist

my top 10, in no order

mega man 2
mega man 3
mega man 5
sonic 2
sonic
sonic cd
sonic generations
ratchet & clank a crack in time
cave story
spelunky or battleblock theater, if they count.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I've compiled at list of traditional platformers (with some lesser known action platformers sprinkled in) that are more overlooked these days. I'll try to keep the obvious choices low, but some I'm going to have to include regardless. This is a list of games focused on platforming above all else which means games like Blaster Master and Contra, which have dedicated stages to doing other things, don't count.

25 Best NES platformers (Not made by Nintendo)

1. Adventure Island II

2. Adventure Island III

3. Batman

4. Bio-Miracle Bokutte Upa

5. Bionic Commando

6. Chip N' Dale Rescue Rangers

7. Chip N' Dale Rescue Rangers 2

8. Cocoron

9. Darkwing Duck

10. DuckTales

11. DuckTales 2

12. Gimmick!

13. Journey to Silius

Spark Of Spirit

14. Little Samson

15. Mega Man 2

16. Mega Man 3

17. Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos

18. Power Blade

19. Rockin' Kats

20. Rygar

21. Shadow of the Ninja

22. Shatterhand

23. Tiny Toon Adventures

24. U-four-ia: The Saga

25. Xexyz

Commode

Shatterhand is the shit, love that game.  I so want a copy of Gimmick! and Little Samson, two games that are probably out of my reach as far as physical copies go, I have most of the rest of them.

Also Felix the Cat.  A little easy sure, but still one of my favorites.  The power ups alone are just so much fun.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

I think I rented Felix the Cat a long time ago. I barely remember it, however. I should probably give it another go one day.

EDIT: GAH, I also forgot Metal Storm!