Platformers

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 21, 2011, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

The box art is the only time I've seen any of levels. :D I kind of wonder if I can do any better now. Hopefully it wouldn't be another case where I am still just as bad. :wth:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Commode

The Simpsons games are only hard because they are poorly designed games.  It's telling that the best home console game featuring the license was Hit and Run, and even that game wasn't without it's flaws.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, yeah. There's that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Why are so many licensed games plagued with problems?

Commode

Because a lot of them are published by shitty companies like Acclaim and LJN.  If you have licensed games published by companies like Konami, Capcom, Hudson Soft, or Taito it's usually a decent to good game.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 24, 2015, 11:05:06 PM
Why are so many licensed games plagued with problems?
Publishers that would run in to buy the license purely to profit off the name have plagued the industry since it began.

Then eventually bad studios started to offer doing their work cheaper which meant the Capcoms, Segas, Sunsofts, Hudsons, and Konamis of the industry no longer made them. Acclaim running in and swiping the Simpsons license before Konami could make a game after the first arcade game is a good example. FOX gets to shove out a cheaper product, Acclaim gets money to make crap, and only the fans and brand suffer.

It's only gotten worse over the years.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Ugh, that's horrible. I remember when Capcom made a good amount of quality licensed games. I actually grew up liking licensed titles and then it soured when I became a teen. Probably before that.

Spark Of Spirit

I just played the first few levels of Klonoa after getting it for the PSN sale. Still an excellent game. It's such a shame the series never really took off.

A download-only Klonoa 3 would be good enough for me, however, if it was the only way to get it. I just want more Klonoa.

gunswordfist

I thought that series had more than 3 games.

Spark Of Spirit

It did. Two console traditional platformers, two portable puzzle platformers, a volleyball game (!?), and a weird action RPG that never came over here makes it a six game series.

But I want a third traditional platformer. It's been very long since the last one and I'd really dig another one.

gunswordfist

That was likely your millionth name drop of the series so I should probably try it out myself, right? :sly:

Spark Of Spirit

I'm not sure if you'd like it as much as I do, but if you can manage to play the first two console games then go nuts.

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

I tried to come up with a list of my favorite 3D platformers, but I didn't want to get it overrun by a handful of franchises, so I limited it to one per. But I will mention other games in the series I feel worthy of a look if not a playthrough. That out of the way, here is my list of the best 3D platformers:

10. Jumping Flash! (PS1 / PSN)

A first person platformer years before Mirror's Edge. Though it can be a bit rough on the eyes (even at the time it was), the charm and level design make this game an overlooked gem that never quite got the attention it deserved. This was made in the early days of 3D when people were still stretching out their legs trying to find the right place. But it was a good formula that no one happened on again.

Other series mentions: Jumping Flash! 2 (PS1 / PSN)

9. Ape Escape 3 (PS2)

Another underrated series, only this one has a reliance on crazy gadgets to achieve your goal of catching super-intelligent simians. In the third game you get transformations and a play select screen as well, not to mention a ripping soundtrack. It might be a bit easy, but it's creative and fun. Just like all the best platformers are.

Other series mentions: Ape Escape (PS1), Ape Escape 2 (PS2)

8. Banjo Kazooie (N64 / XB360)

I've never been big on collectathon platformers, but there are exceptions. This is one of them. Every level involves jumping obstacles and avoiding enemies and the design of each level (aside from one) is fairly creative and imaginative in the variety of what you can do. Throw in an hilarious endgame, a soundtrack to die for, and a sense of humor that only Rare could create and you have a stone cold classic.

Other series mentions: Banjo Tooie (N64 / XB360)

7. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS1 / PSN)

The PS1 Crash games are awesome, but especially the second entry with the most balanced difficulty. Join Crash as he collects the crystals to help Dr. Neo Cortex to destroysave the world or the gems to stop Dr. Cortex instead; either way you will be in for a challenge. One of the first series to understand the level-based approach to 3D platformers, the Crash trilogy is still one of the best.

Other series mentions: Crash Bandicoot (PS1 / PSN),  Crash Bandicoot: Warped! (PS1 / PSN)

6. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3 / PSV)

Though a successful series for the PS2, it wasn't until this fourth entry that the series came together to reach its full potential. Featuring the level-based platforming of the first game, the open world stealth elements of the second, and nothing from the reviled third, Sly Cooper finally achieved its balance of a unique platformer and stealth game at the same time. Sanzaru achieves what Sucker Punch! couldn't (and still can't) manage with on of the best 3D platformers out there.

Other series mentions: Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus (PS2, PS3, PSV), Sly 2: Band of Thieves (PS2, PS3, PSV)

5. Sonic Colors (Wii)

Of course the argument could be made that this is a 2D platformer with 3D segments, I have to add that the 3D segments are actually quite underrated in this game and are the most fun I've had in the 3D games outside of certain levels in the first Adventure game. The branching paths to find red rings, the excellent art style and music, the clever usage of wisps, and the difficulty level are all the best they've ever been in the series. One of the gems on the Wii, Sonic Colors is still one of Sonic's best games.

Other series mentions: Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast / Gamecube / PSN / XBLA), Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast / Gamecube / PSN / XBLA), Sonic Generations (XB360 / PS3)

4. Maximo: Ghosts to Glory (PS2 / PSN)

Probably the most criminally overlooked 3D platformer, Maximo is one of the few platformers to take everything about its 2D roots and throw them kicking and screaming into the 3D space. The weird part? It all works. The challenge of Ghouls n Ghosts is still there, the quirky humor and artstyle, the music, and yet it manages to be more accessible and forgiving than the originating series. Some may quibble about the save system, but it's really a minor issue when the game is already tough as nails. I still haven't beaten this one, but I hope to get around to it eventually.

Other series mentions: Maximo vs the Army of Zin (PS2)

3. Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (PS2 / PS3 /PSV)

Pretty much the last collectathon platformer ever made, it is also the best. A seamless open world to explore filled with platforming challenges all over, Jak & Daxter is a game you sit down and relax with. Though Naughty Dog had a way of making 3D platformers before they unceremoniously ditched and slandered them, their first PS2 effort is still their most ambitious effort and one of the system's best games.

Other series mentions: Jak II (PS2 / PS3 / PSN), Jak 3 (PS2 / PS3 / PSN)

2. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (PS3)

Insomniac's magnum opus, A Crack in Time is one of the best games ever made. From creative platforming in tight action based levels, to planet hopping on a world map style shooting game, to a surprisingly touching story still filled with the usual Insomniac humor, to the best arena challenges since the PS2 games, this is as good as the Ratchet series has ever gotten. If you are even a passing fan of platformers, you need to play this game. There are few games better. In fact, my number 1 is one of the few games I would consider better in the genre and even then only by a hair. A Crack in Time will hopefully go down as a classic.

Other series mentions: Ratchet & Clank / Going Commando / Up Your Arsenal (PS2 / PS3 / PSV), Tools of Destruction / Quest For Booty / Into the Nexus (PS3)

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii / Wii U eshop)

In the running for best game ever made, this was the most obvious choice here. In fact, you might say the game is too big as the green stars and final level are really extras to what is already quite the packed game, SMG2 doesn't really have any faults. It's a joy to play, it has the best music and art style in any 3D game ever, and it is endlessly replayable with the best level design ever put into a 3D game. If you haven't played this game, then there really is no one who can help you.

Other series mentions: Super Mario 64 (N64 / Wii VC), Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), Super Mario 3D Land (3DS), Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)

Foggle

Great list. :) I think I'm going to get Maximo soon. How is the sequel?