Platformers

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 21, 2011, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on February 18, 2012, 08:58:38 PM
[quote author=Spark Of Spirit link=topic=278.msg16360#msg16360
Fun fact: Ratchet & Clank is one of Sony's biggest and most beloved properties in Japan. I'm pretty sure it's actually more popular there than it is in the west.
That reminds me, is Crash still the number 1 American game series over there?
Quote from: Foggle on February 18, 2012, 09:13:51 PM
Well, that's what happens when you don't divide your fanbase with changed direction sequels or forget what made your first two games good. :P

I really wish Insomniac would make non-Ratchet games that aren't shooters. Resistance is great for what it is and Overstrike looks cool, but if they expanded their horizons a bit, they could easily become the new Rare. The new "old" Rare, that is. :lol:
I wouldn't mind Insomniac doing a pure platformer. Can't think of anything else I'd want them to do. :D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

I want more Prince Of Persia tyep hack n slash platformers. Since apparently the Assassin's Creed series is over, I want them to return to doing that or make a spirtual sequel. Also, Ueda ditching Sony doesn't far too good for that genre in the near future.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 19, 2012, 12:01:22 PM
I want more Prince Of Persia tyep hack n slash platformers. Since apparently the Assassin's Creed series is over, I want them to return to doing that or make a spirtual sequel. Also, Ueda ditching Sony doesn't far too good for that genre in the near future.
AC 3 just got confirmed...

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on February 19, 2012, 12:02:44 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on February 19, 2012, 12:01:22 PM
AC 3 just got confirmed...
Too bad for you that I kill messengers.

Spark Of Spirit

I thought what killed PoP was that they refused to just keep it a platformer and relied more and more upon gritty backdrops, generic rage, and combat to take away from it. I mean, I've yet to play any of them, the series went south to fast for me to even get interested.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 19, 2012, 12:28:10 PM
I thought what killed PoP was that they refused to just keep it a platformer and relied more and more upon gritty backdrops, generic rage, and combat to take away from it. I mean, I've yet to play any of them, the series went south to fast for me to even get interested.
I still want to beat the sequels (only played some of 2) via getting the trilogy. I do wish the games were more like Sands Of Time. All that game needed was some actual bosses and more enemy types.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You know, I actually don't mind combat and action sequences in a platformers, as long as it has a good combat system. In fact, I would absolute LOVE a hack n' slash/beat-em-up and platformer hybrid. I love melee action and I love platforming. For some reason I feel like one of the only people who would love a good combination of the 2 in a 3D game (I know there are already good 2D games that combine those elements, but I have yet to see a 3D game successfully do it).

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 19, 2012, 01:08:25 PM

You know, I actually don't mind combat and action sequences in a platformers, as long as it has a good combat system. In fact, I would absolute LOVE a hack n' slash/beat-em-up and platformer hybrid. I love melee action and I love platforming. For some reason I feel like one of the only people who would love a good combination of the 2 in a 3D game (I know there are already good 2D games that combine those elements, but I have yet to see a 3D game successfully do it).
The closest for me was Maximo. The combat wasn't deep at all, but it was really satisfying and usually fighting was just as hard as the platforming. I think it might annoy a lot of people if the game was as deep as say Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden yet had as hard platforming as, say, Maximo with it. Imagine getting past a really difficult combat section only to mistime a jump and fall into a pit... and have to do it all over. I imagine most people would be really mad, especially if they used a life system (and if the game was that hard by all means they SHOULD) in the game.

Sort of related, but not really- has anyone here played I-Ninja from last gen? I heard that was a kind of underrated action platformer.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 19, 2012, 01:08:25 PM

Oh, you aren't the only one. I wish they made one where the sword or whatever was an important part of platforming like using it to stab into walls and cut down ropes. Plus of course have enemies be smart enough to platform to come after you. I liked in Sands in Time when enemies would walk after you on wooden beams or whatever. In that game you could use your sword pretty much everywhere. I liked that.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 19, 2012, 01:14:07 PM
The closest for me was Maximo. The combat wasn't deep at all, but it was really satisfying and usually fighting was just as hard as the platforming. I think it might annoy a lot of people if the game was as deep as say Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden yet had as hard platforming as, say, Maximo with it. Imagine getting past a really difficult combat section only to mistime a jump and fall into a pit... and have to do it all over. I imagine most people would be really mad, especially if they used a life system (and if the game was that hard by all means they SHOULD) in the game.[/quote]

I don't think it really has to be that way, though. First off, they could easily implant checkpoints between difficult sections, whether they are for platforming or for combat. Secondly, even if the game did have a deep combat system, it could be done in a DMC-esque way in which you didn't need to necessarily be superb at the combat to get by, as basic attacks would still work well enough for the more casual players. Its just that the challenge would come more from skilled timing in terms of maneuvering enemy attacks and finding the right time to attack enemies. Personally I think these 2 genres could very well mix into a single game, and the game could still have challenging platforming and a deep combat system without being too frustrating as long as it was paced well enough.

QuoteSort of related, but not really- has anyone here played I-Ninja from last gen? I heard that was a kind of underrated action platformer.

I played a demo of it once and liked it, but I haven't looked into it beyond that. I should probably look it up and give it a try, though.

Foggle

I-Ninja was a decent game. More bad than it was good, but some of the levels were really cool. The early stuff was usually good, but the later stages were mostly awful iirc.

The problem with Prince of Persia is the whole "darker and edgier" phenomenon. Sands of Time was great (not amazing), but then Warrior Within came out with its brooding Prince, blood-soaked combat, and Godsmack soundtrack and completely raped the series of all its personality. Two Thrones was mostly a return to form, though. Haven't played Forgotten Sands or 2008.

Spark Of Spirit

I hear conflicting opinions on PoP 2008 all the time. Some people love it for being a platformer, and some people hate it for being too easy and boring, apparently. I've never really gotten a straight opinion on that one.

And EK, I'd love the game you're proposing, but unless Sega makes a new 3D Shinobi, I don't see anyone else going towards that style of game. Shooters seem all the rage to the point that people don't even like when you're platforming in the Ratchet games.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 19, 2012, 01:42:13 PM
Shooters seem all the rage to the point that people don't even like when you're platforming in the Ratchet games.
What!? Where did you read this? The platforming is the best part! That makes me both sad and angry. :cry:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, the PS2 Shinobi was one of the few 3D games that I've played that tried to combine platforming and hack n' slash, and even if the level design is kind of bland and the combat really shallow, it was still challenging and fun, IMO, and if a really talented team like Platinum or someone else were to take a stab at combining the 2 genres, I'm sure it would work out really well.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, Shinobi was a weird one snce the two games kind of had more action than platforming and the 3D had more of a platforming emphasis over action. That's a rarity nowadays.

Quote from: Foggle on February 19, 2012, 01:45:02 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 19, 2012, 01:42:13 PM
Shooters seem all the rage to the point that people don't even like when you're platforming in the Ratchet games.
What!? Where did you read this? The platforming is the best part! That makes me both sad and angry. :cry:
Yeah, the other day I was perusing reviews for the series and found some really dumb complaints of the series like complaining about it's "tired mixture of safe platforming and shooting" (because the genre is so common these days, right?), how it would be better if they just dropped platforming, or some complaining about length (which is insane considering most games in the series are twice as long as most shooters are) and most of these issues were about ToD and ACiT which makes the complaints even more absurd considering how few games like them there really are this gen.