Platformers

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 21, 2011, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

There's rumors going around about a "Donkey Kong 3D" after EB Games listed a game by that title as available for preorder.  Some people are hoping it's a remake of DK64(wtf why) similar to Star Fox 64 or Ocarina, but I personally am hoping it's a portable adaption of DKCR in the same vein as the Donkey Kong Land games.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Comeau on March 10, 2012, 01:36:15 PM
There's rumors going around about a "Donkey Kong 3D" after EB Games listed a game by that title as available for preorder.  Some people are hoping it's a remake of DK64(wtf why) similar to Star Fox 64 or Ocarina, but I personally am hoping it's a portable adaption of DKCR in the same vein as the Donkey Kong Land games.
I'm thinking the name is a placeholder. If anything, it'll probably be a Donkey Kong Country game like the Land games or a new proper one done by Retro.

DK64... Uh, why? Nintendo keeps pretending it doesn't exist, and the N64 to 3DS remakes are always of classics. DK64 is not a classic.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

So taking the conversation away from if DK64 is good or not, I see a lot of people wanting Nintendo to take Mario back in the direction of Sunshine and 64 and away from the more straightforward design of the Galaxy games. How about you guys? What do you prefer in your 3D platformers?

Do you like collect-a-thon style like Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, or Jak & Daxter?

Or do you prefer the linear point A to B linear progression like Super Mario Galaxy, Ratchet & Clank, or Sly Cooper & The Thievius Raccoonus?

Or maybe even open world style like Jak 2, Sly 2, or whatever?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

I'm more of a fan of linear progression platformers. Not that I have anything against collect-a-thons, but they can get pretty boring after a while.

Commode

Yeah, I like the linear platformers best.  There's nothing wrong with a little collecting, and I still love the 2.5D NSMBW/DKCR/Rayman Origins type of collecting, but there is a point where it becomes too much and distracts from the overall gameplay.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Foggle

Linear progression, definitely. I also love open-world ones and collect-a-thons that aren't too intense (Banjo and Jak 1 are great, DK 64 not so much), but I definitely prefer the more linear ones. I mostly prefer linear games in general, to be honest.

talonmalon333

... Why the heck would we want a portable DK64, or even DKCR? New game, peeps! :P

gunswordfist

I just want a 3D Sonic that's more floating platform based, less speed-a-thon based.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 10, 2012, 08:56:29 PM
I just want a 3D Sonic that's more floating platform based, less speed-a-thon based.
Colors and Generations are WAY more platform oriented than even the Adventure games were. There's a lot less random speed and twitch gameplay. I suggest giving them a look.

talonmalon333

SA2 was a great blend of clever platforming and speed, which is when Sonic's at his best.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 11, 2012, 12:02:30 AM
SA2 was a great blend of clever platforming and speed, which is when Sonic's at his best.
Other than the pillars in City Escape and Final Rush, there really isn't a lot of platforming in the game. It's mostly about speed in Metal Harbor and Green Forest, and Crazy Gadget... Well, jump at the wrong place and die- you're not really encouraged to jump much there.

It has more platforming than any of the main games up to Colors, but those games have almost no platforming at all.

Kiddington

You know what really kills DK64? More than the length, more than the number of objects involved, more than anything?

Beaver Bother.

I dare you to disagree.

Also, to answer Spark's question; linear progression is definitely the way to go. Although I certainly do loves me some Banjo-Kazooie or Super Mario 64, collect-a-thons, for the most part, are never done right. Even Banjo-Tooie, as much as I hold a dear place for that one, can still be rather grating at times. Very rarely is this sub-genre of platformers actually done the way it should be, and that's a shame; collect-a-thons can be quite engaging and fun... when they're not 70 hours long.

Foggle

I'm not really sure I'd call Super Mario 64 a collect-a-thon. I mean, all you really collect in that game is stars.

Honestly, I'm playing Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie again right now... and I think I should stop. I have fond memories of these games - they were some of my absolute favorites as a kid - but my nostalgia is being tainted. I love the music, jokes, and overall craziness, but the gameplay just doesn't hold up well at all. But at least they're still playable, unlike Donkey Kong 64.

gunswordfist

Yeah, I was actually recently thinking about how I don't think Super Mario 64 is a collect-a-thon. It doesn't count.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Super Mario 64 is more "open world" than collect-a-thon. I would consider Jak & Daxter the same, but you actually do need to collect a lot to progress. SM64 is mostly getting a star at the end of a level then moving on to the next, sort of like Galaxy.

But as for Banjo Kazooie being dated, I honestly don't agree. I played it for the first time about 2-3 years ago and loved it, and that was over a decade after it originally came out. Even though I didn't care for it, what dates Tooie is the controls, they simply don't feel comfortable for most challenges.