Platformers

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 21, 2011, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 26, 2012, 01:05:59 AM
You could be playing underrated PS1 platformers like Jumping Flash or Tomba! instead.

Bubsy 3D deserves no quarter.
Ah, how do I miss Tomba! I want to play more 2.5D games like that.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Eddy

So is Wario World any good? I've seen a used copy of it here and there and have thought of getting it but I remember hearing some very mixed things back when it came out.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Eddy on May 01, 2012, 10:08:52 PM
So is Wario World any good? I've seen a used copy of it here and there and have thought of getting it but I remember hearing some very mixed things back when it came out.
I haven't played it, but I haven't heard anything good. Not anything as bad as say, Master Of Disguise, but it being one of the lesser Wario games for sure.

As a Sega fan I've been eager to try Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg, but I'm wary since it was made by Sonic Team between Sonic Heroes and Shadow The Hedgehog. Not their best period. Has anyone here played it?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I got about three levels into Billy Hatcher and quit out of boredom. Game was quite literally putting me to sleep.

Keep in mind that I haven't played it in about 9 years, so this opinion may be outdated and/or wrong.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Eddy on May 01, 2012, 10:08:52 PM

It kind of played like Super Mario 3D land, where it was a 3D area with a fixed camera the whole time. The problem is that it was really, really boring. All I really remember though was some bland levels, bland enemies, really annoying collectibles and a really lackluster final boss.

I may be totally wrong though. When did that come out? 2003? Dear god, I might have only played it a few times 9 years ago, no wonder my memory is so fuzzy.

Avaitor

Billy Hatcher is okay. The multiplayer is the best part of the game, but the single player is worth a quick playthrough.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Playing through Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters again. It's good, but the limitations of the PSP really hamper the experience and it's fairly obvious that it wasn't made by Insomniac. The movement and camera controls really bring it down; it could have been great with some heavy tweaking. It also suffers from chronic mini-gameitis, but to a lesser degree than Jak 3 and Sly.

It has two really nice elements, though. For one thing, the music is amazing. Probably the series' best OST after the original game. Also, the giant Clank levels are awesome. They're like Star Fox combined with a bullet hell shoot 'em up. Pretty sweet.

Foggle

The final boss of Size Matters is the worst thing ever. It drags on FOREVER (I'm talking around 8-10 minutes), doesn't drop enough ammo for you, and has no bolt crates so you end blowing through all your money with the PDA extremely quickly. Two of his attacks kill you in two hits and his other attack kills you in one. Couple that with the finger-crampingly painful controls and the godawful camera and I honestly can't see myself beating this anytime soon.

This fight makes Chairman Drek look easy. And for all the wrong reasons.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 08, 2012, 02:29:05 PM
The final boss of Size Matters is the worst thing ever. It drags on FOREVER (I'm talking around 8-10 minutes), doesn't drop enough ammo for you, and has no bolt crates so you end blowing through all your money with the PDA extremely quickly. Two of his attacks kill you in two hits and his other attack kills you in one. Couple that with the finger-crampingly painful controls and the godawful camera and I honestly can't see myself beating this anytime soon.

This fight makes Chairman Drek look easy. And for all the wrong reasons.
Now that sounds pretty awful.

I'm still disappointed that Sony never gets their A-teams on the portable entries. It's the main reason I'll never really be excited for another Sony handheld.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 08, 2012, 04:42:22 PM
Now that sounds pretty awful.

I'm still disappointed that Sony never gets their A-teams on the portable entries. It's the main reason I'll never really be excited for another Sony handheld.
It's really disappointing, since the core Ratchet levels are actually pretty good if you can look past the awful camera. But the final boss, incessant Clank mini-games (there's only one traditional Clank stage and you never even use the Enter command in it), forced racing, and <4 hour playtime (not counting the boring and optional mini-game grinding) really kill the game. I think it might actually be worse than All 4 One and even Secret Agent Clank now that I've finished playing it again (never going to beat that goddamn boss). A4O and SAC aren't even bad games, really, they're just bad Ratchet games. Size Matters is a bad game in general.

Spark Of Spirit

Controversy!

Now I know the internet will explode over this, but I really do think it coes down to personal preference. But I have to say it's nice see the bias in the industry over the DKC series seems to be subsiding.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I agree with this man and wish to buy him a drink.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I do think DKC is a better platformer than the original Super Marios Bros., myself. But like someone in that video said, the standards of platformers had drastically improved by the time that DKC came out, and you couldn't really say it was revolutionary for the genre like the original SMB was, so in that regard its far from the best out there. Its still a fantastic game, though. With all do respect to Miyamoto who was quoted as calling the game an average platformer (or probably something even worse than that for all I know), and to the people who say that DKC is nothing special in general....you're all wrong. The game is fucking awesome. Screw maturity. Anyone who disagrees with me can just go suck it! :>

No, but seriously, its a good game, and its probably one of my favorite platformers out there, but it does have a superior sequel (DKC2), and there are certainly contemporary platformers of its era that I would say were much better, like Super Mario World, Sonic 2/3 and Knuckles, Rocket Knight Adventures, and at least a few others.

talonmalon333

I almost want to say DKCR is better than all of it's predecessors!