IGN's Top 100 Modern Video Games

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, June 24, 2011, 11:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The first 20 entries of the list (starting from 100) have been listed so far. They are:

100. Demon's Souls
99. League of Legends
98. Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP
97. Resistance 2
96. Tiny Wings
95. Kirby's Epic Yarn
94. Crysis
93. Angry Birds
92. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
91. The Sims 3
90. Far Cry 2
89. Dragon Age: Origins
88. Valkyria Chronicles II
87. Killzone 2
86. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
85. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
84. Elite Beat Agents
83. 'Splosion Man
82. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
81. Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes

Spark Of Spirit

Valkyria Chronicles 2? On a one entry per franchise list?

Isn't Resistance 2 garbage?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be honest, except for Demon's Souls which is one of the only few PS3 games (and RPGs, for that matter) that I'm interested in playing, I'm pretty indifferent to the rest of the list so far, as I either haven't played any of those games before and/or don't really care about them. I can't comment on whether any of them are good enough or not to be in a top 100 list, so for now my opinion on this list is still neutral, as I don't have it leaning in either a positive or negative direction one way or the other. When they actually start listing games that I actually have an opinion about, then I'll give me feedback for the list.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

I have a lot of friends who are into Angry Birds, but from what I've tried, it's dumb as shit. I don't get the appeal at all.

Some of that and a little Epic Yarn at a GameStop aside, I haven't played any of the games on here. The list seems aight so far, but I'm surprised at how low the Castlevania game is. Then again, I haven't really heard from the franchise in a while.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

It's actually quite a boring list right now outside of like 4 games. It doesn't help this gen from being so utterly boring outside of the download and handheld space.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

As long as the Mario Galaxies are up there, I'm satisfied. :P

Spark Of Spirit

Only 1 will be if it's still 1 per franchise.

Avaitor

If Galaxy 2 doesn't make at least top 10, if not 5, I'll eat my hat. I don't think I've seen better reviews for a game.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The 2nd part of the list is up:

80. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
79. Bionic Commando Rearmed
78. Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds
77. Total War: Shogun 2
76. Brain Age
75. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
74. Cut the Rope
73. Flower
72. The World Ends With You
71. Meteos
70. Super Stardust HD
69. Viva PiƱata: Trouble in Paradise
68. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
67. Donkey Kong Country Returns
66. Picross DS
65. Mega Man 9
64. Burnout Paradise
63. Fable II
62. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
61. Alan Wake

Spark Of Spirit

Fable II above Mega Man 9, DKC:R, Super Stardust HD, and TWEWY?

Get that shit out of here.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I have to say, I never got the appeal of the Fable series. Of course, I can't say anything about the 2nd or 3rd games because I never bothered to play any of them, but much like how I never bothered to play any of the sequels to Assassin's Creed, the shitty excuse for an RPG (or even a decent "game" of any kind at that) that was the first Fable forever turned me away from this series. Its linear in a bad way, has boring combat, characters with little to no personality, and it lets your character do a bunch of trivial things such as farting and making weird noises at people or some shit like that and that's supposed to be considered "innovative" and "fresh" by critics....Yeah, like I said, I really don't get the appeal of this series. The biggest problem with it for me is that its just boring. At least Assassin's Creed had some atmosphere and somewhat fun climbing and platforming mechanics going for it (I still think its a shit game, though), but Fable just looks downright bland and ugly on top of not being any fun at all.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm desperately trying to think of 60 games better than the best ones posted so far. This list is going to get wacky, I can see it coming.

Foggle

What's really unforgivable is Fable 2 above The Witcher 2. Generic over-hyped Molyneux shitfest "RPG" over the best WRPG in the past 5+ years? Get that crap outta' here.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on June 28, 2011, 08:14:51 PM
What's really unforgivable is Fable 2 above The Witcher 2. Generic over-hyped Molyneux shitfest "RPG" over the best WRPG in the past 5+ years? Get that crap outta' here.

Perhaps IGN is biased against PC exclusive RPGs....