IGN's Top 100 Modern Video Games

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, June 24, 2011, 11:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, yeah, IGN is doing another one of these top 100 lists, starting on Monday. Here is the description of it. It will include games from 2005 to the present (I'm assuming that its only stuff from current-gen consoles, but I'm not sure if they'll include any games that released on last gen's consoles that released on them back in 2005 and even later years as well.

Anyways, After their much hated list of the top 100 animated shows of all time, I wonder if this one will actually manage to fair any better. To IGN's credit, this time they flat out stated that this is not a "best" list and will only be composed of the opinions of their editors, and it also apparently won't be based on previous review scores either, so at least if it consists of a lot of tasteless choices nobody can really say that its controversial or anything since IGN isn't actually claiming that its really one of the best despite where they rank each game.

At any rate, I don't expect to really agree with most of this list since its IGN we're talking about here, but I still think it might make for some interesting discussion.

My predictions are that it'll probably be something predictable like a Call of Duty or Halo game or one of the Mass Effect games that ends up taking the number 1 spot. Other popular games like Uncharted and God of War will probably make it into the top 20, while lesser appreciated games like Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta may completely get the shaft (well, I fully expect that NG won't be present on the list, but I at least believe that Bayonetta has a decent chance to at least rank somewhere on there).

So, does anyone else have any thoughts or predictions on how this latest top 100 list from IGN will turn out?

Foggle

I wonder if they'll put God Hand on this one, too. :lol:

I assume some of our favorites like Bayonetta and F.E.A.R. will make the list, but will probably be near the bottom. I actually think Ninja Gaiden Black or Sigma 1 has a shot at being on there, too (but probably near the bottom, as well).

I fully expect the top 20 to be easily predictable and contain all or most of these: at least one Call of Duty (probably 4), multiple BioWare games (Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins more than likely), BioShock, Batman: Arkham Asylum (this one is kind of iffy), God of War 3, Gears of War, Halo: Reach, Fallout 3, Crysis (maybe not), Twilight Princess, at least one Uncharted, at least one Mario (probably Galaxy 2), StarCraft 2, at least one Dead Space, Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto 4, Oblivion, and Metal Gear Solid 4. These lists are always disposable and indiscernible from one website/magazine to another.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the top 20 will be pretty boring and predictable, but here's hoping that at least the lower half of the list will prove to have some lesser appreciated titles, but once again....this is IGN we're talking about here. :sly:

Spark Of Spirit

Uncharted 2 will be #1. I'm calling it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Any chances that Alan Wake might make it onto this list? The IGN staff really seemed to like that game in general, and it'd probably be one of the only few choices of theirs that I would agree with assuming that it ranks somewhere in the top 50 on this list. Its probably the only "movie game" (or TV-series game if you prefer :sly: ) that I would bother to play more than once. It just has something a little extra to it that makes it more fun than the more higher-production works like Uncharted and such, which to be fair are great in their own rights at being movie games which is all they really set out to do, but I can't bother playing games like that more than once, whereas Alan Wake is at least worth going through one more time, for me at the very least.

I also have to wonder if any great handheld games from this generation will make it onto the list. I think it would be pretty narrow-minded, even for IGN by its standards, to leave some truly great handheld gems out in favor of only sticking to console releases. But, then again, it wouldn't totally surprise me at all if that turns out to be the case.

Spark Of Spirit

I really liked Alan Wake, despite the padding in the 6th chapter and the lack of enemy variety. I'd rather play that over Uncharted, any day. I actually think if Remedy and SWERY's team got together and merged the strengths of both Deadly Premonition and Alan Wake we'd have the best horror game ever.

I expect New Super Mario Bros. to rank above New Super Mario Bros Wii despite the latter being FAR superior purely because IGN had some weird sort of grudge over that game. "2D Platformer on a console? Sold at retail?! Fuck Nintendo! These games are worth less than our $60 disposable 6 hour movie shooters that have no replay value!"
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Alan Wake is a movie game? Does that mean that Max Payne is, too? I'm so confused as to what is and what isn't. :zonk:

Spark Of Spirit

More of a TV game, really. The combat is more fun than most movie shooters tend to be, however.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its a movie game in essence, but its stands apart for me through a much better focus on actual gameplay.

The reason I say that it classifies as a movie game, or rather a TV-show game in this case, is because its essentially a very linear, very scripted game that even goes so far as to treat itself like an actual TV series. There isn't really any enemy AI as they just act according to one way in which they are specifically programmed to act, and for the most part the game will be the same general experience each time you go through it. That said, the gameplay mechanics are much tighter than in other movie games and the game lets you use some strategy from time to time with the bigger set-piece battles, so to me its one of the best examples of how to do a movie game and give it some actual replay value. Its basically my favorite movie/TV game, because like I said, these games aren't inherently bad and can be done well, and Alan Wake is currently the best example of how to do this sort of game.

I prefer it to Uncharted's action, to be honest, which honestly feels either like the game is controlling things more than you are, and when you do feel like you have complete control over the game then its basically just during segments where the game plays like a Gears of War cover shooter, with the occasional stealth elements thrown in to mix things up just a little bit. Its fun for maybe one time through, but can't hold my interest beyond that, personally.

Max Payne is not a movie game, though. It is linear and scripted, but similar to F.E.A.R. it has very dynamic fights that have a lot of room for style and strategy. In Max Payne's case its not really because of intelligent A.I., though, but more so for its John Woo influenced over-the-top action and very well-done combat system that allows for a good amount of variety and skill to be put into place. It puts enough focus on actual gameplay that it feels much less scripted than it actually is when you get to play it for yourself, which is why I wouldn't personally classify it as a movie game.

Foggle

Ahhh, nice explanation. I think I understand it better now. :thumbup:

Spark Of Spirit

So only one installment per series? Resident Evil 5, this is your big chance!  :sly:

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on June 25, 2011, 01:23:38 AM
So only one installment per series? Resident Evil 5, this is your big chance!  :sly:
That game has absolutely no replay value. I tried to play it again with one of my friends and we couldn't do it. It's just so boring, and it takes EFFORT to make a co-op game boring.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on June 25, 2011, 01:35:26 AM
That game has absolutely no replay value. I tried to play it again with one of my friends and we couldn't do it. It's just so boring, and it takes EFFORT to make a co-op game boring.
Now, see, this is the biggest issue I have with this gen as a whole. The majority of the "AAA" games that everyone raves about are usually about 6 hours long total, but have absolutely no incentive or reason to want to replay them. All my favorite games contain enough incentive to keep me coming back. Hell, I'll probably play Alan Wake again soon just for the combat and atmosphere, but couldn't even get through Uncharted once. And that's supposed to be one of the best games of this gen.

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on June 25, 2011, 01:48:14 AM
Quote from: Foggle on June 25, 2011, 01:35:26 AM
Now, see, this is the biggest issue I have with this gen as a whole. The majority of the "AAA" games that everyone raves about are usually about 6 hours long total, but have absolutely no incentive or reason to want to replay them. All my favorite games contain enough incentive to keep me coming back. Hell, I'll probably play Alan Wake again soon just for the combat and atmosphere, but couldn't even get through Uncharted once. And that's supposed to be one of the best games of this gen.
I feel ya' there. Replayablity is what matters most in a game, IMO. F.E.A.R. 3 was only 6 hours long, but I already want to go back for another round because it was so much fun! How many times have I played each of the classic Mario and Sonic games? Too many to count, and it's partially because they're perfectly paced and don't drag on for too long. The Deus Ex: Human Revolution beta wasn't even a third of the full game, and I have to restrain myself from doing another playthrough until the full game comes out. A good game can be as short as Metal Slug X or as long as Persona 3: FES... all that matters is that it's fun and worth playing more than once.

gunswordfist

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns Of The Patriots better be #1
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody